Officer Training questions

JWT

Crow
Hi all,

If this has been asked already, apologies and please do let me know where to find the answer.

At Sandhurst when do you choose which regiment/corp you want to go to? And what happens if you're unsuccessful in that interview? Do the army just send you wherever there's space? Or do you go to that regiment/corp as an NCO?

Cheers,
J

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
2nd Term I think?
Who is your chosen Regiment/Corps?
If the Regiment you want to go to does not except you you will get offered another regiment/corps, normally?

JWT

Crow
I'd like to join the Intelligence Corp. I've heard that you get a main option and a backup option, but I wondered if it would just be counted as a failed term if you didn't get into either.
Thanks - appreciate the clarification!

chimera

LE
You get two choices. If you do not get accepted by your first, you may be offered a place by your second choice if they still have spaces after they have taken everyone they need from the round of first choices. If not, you will get a space in whatever if left (usually AGC or RLC). Your first choice needs to be sensible, and, if at all possible, based on some exposure to the Regiment/Arm/Corps concerned (visits, attachments, etc).

Last edited:

Hohenidoom

Clanker
If not, you will get a space in whatever if left (usually AGC or RLC).
I would just gently mention that the RLC seem to be closing the door on that front, and mostly filling their places with people who want to be there rather than the cast-offs. Apparently a top-down effort from the previous MGL.

chimera

LE
I would just gently mention that the RLC seem to be closing the door on that front, and mostly filling their places with people who want to be there rather than the cast-offs. Apparently a top-down effort from the previous MGL.
Quite possibly. But having had some involvement with this process, the weakness is in that approach is how many actually want to be there as first choice. I am afraid that the lure of the Rifles, Paras, Gunners, Sappers, and AAC will always remain. By definition not everyone can boast that they take the "top third" - you quickly run out of "third"!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'd like to join the Intelligence Corp. I've heard that you get a main option and a backup option, but I wondered if it would just be counted as a failed term if you didn't get into either.
Thanks - appreciate the clarification!
Just a pedantic note in passing, it's the Intelligence Corps and it's very, very choosy. From what one gathers, though, despite the competition for slots at Sandhurst, a career as a Direct Entry officer in the Corps isn't necessarily all that much fun, to judge by the outflow of youngish Captains and the inflow of transferee senior Captains and Majors.

While you do get to do *some* intelligence work, the bulk of that is done by the chaps in the ranks and the Late Entry cohort. DE officers also sometimes find the Intelligence Corps soldier something of a challenge to lead.

- Intermediate term, week 12, although you express interest formally at the end of Week 9 of Junior Term
- If unsuccessful you go into Clearing and RMAS will see which Regiments have space and try to find you a best fit with what spaces remain

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

JWT

Crow
Just a pedantic note in passing, it's the Intelligence Corps and it's very, very choosy. From what one gathers, though, despite the competition for slots at Sandhurst, a career as a Direct Entry officer in the Corps isn't necessarily all that much fun, to judge by the outflow of youngish Captains and the inflow of transferee senior Captains and Majors.

While you do get to do *some* intelligence work, the bulk of that is done by the chaps in the ranks and the Late Entry cohort. DE officers also sometimes find the Intelligence Corps soldier something of a challenge to lead.
Thanks for letting me know, will be sure not to make that mistake again!
That's good to know, I'll look into starting as an OPMI instead. Is there a reason DE officers find Intelligence Corps soldiers a challenge? Is it largely down to a lack of respect?

Follow up question re:timeline: assuming that you get the competitive slot for training at Sandhurst and you're also successful in the your interview with the Intelligence Corps, what are the following steps between graduating Sandhurst and meeting the team that you'll be working with?

JWT

Crow
You get two choices. If you do not get accepted by your first, you may be offered a place by your second choice if they still have spaces after they have taken everyone they need from the round of first choices. If not, you will get a space in whatever if left (usually AGC or RLC). Your first choice needs to be sensible, and, if at all possible, based on some exposure to the Regiment/Arm/Corps concerned (visits, attachments, etc).
Re: the highlighted, is it possible to (before attending Sandhurst) visit and begin to create a 'relationship' (of sorts) with the preferred Regiment/Corps? Or if not, would it still be worthwhile to make contact (phone or email) and ask questions/show my interest?

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Is there a reason DE officers find Intelligence Corps soldiers a challenge? Is it largely down to a lack of respect?
Experience probably as a DE Officer manages whilst those in the Ranks do the work & get the medals?

The 'previous MGL' was always telling his red tabs that the RLC was getting it's fair share of 1st choicers from the 'top third' - some propaganda laced with a wee bit of fact I'm sure and calling someone a 'cast-off' is a bit rich coming from some regiments!

The fact is that everyone commissions at the same level - and many Sandhurst stars crash mightily at RD...

JWT

Crow
Experience probably as a DE Officer manages whilst those in the Ranks do the work & get the medals?
Totally get it. Do you know if that's a common feeling regarding officers?

Thanks to everyone for answering all these questions and helping me with corrections, it's really helpful!

Thanks for letting me know, will be sure not to make that mistake again!
That's good to know, I'll look into starting as an OPMI instead. Is there a reason DE officers find Intelligence Corps soldiers a challenge? Is it largely down to a lack of respect?

Follow up question re:timeline: assuming that you get the competitive slot for training at Sandhurst and you're also successful in the your interview with the Intelligence Corps, what are the following steps between graduating Sandhurst and meeting the team that you'll be working with?
The Int Corps really isn’t ’very very choosy’. That is a fantasy put about by Int Corps officers. It’s a similar set up to the Royal Signals - it selects from the middle of the pack at RMAS.

There does seem to be a disconnect between Int Corps officers and soldiers. The officers do struggle - although mainly because they are not great leaders. If they were then they probably wouldn’t have joined the Int Corps. Int Corps soldiers are given responsibility at quite an early stage and tend to be confident in their own opinions.

Euclid

Old-Salt
Int Corps officers no better or worse than any others. The ones I encountered around various HQs from Bde upwards were generally pretty switched on.

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Quite possibly. But having had some involvement with this process, the weakness is in that approach is how many actually want to be there as first choice. I am afraid that the lure of the Rifles, Paras, Gunners, Sappers, and AAC will always remain. By definition not everyone can boast that they take the "top third" - you quickly run out of "third"!
Absolutely - who in reality remembers Guderian's logistic fellow? I joined the Corps because they bought my first drink at the bar and Artillery weren't bothered if I joined or not.

I did however interrogate a fair number of a recent TCC and was genuinely a little taken aback by the amount who were loggies by first choice. Perhaps I got lucky; perhaps the Corps' image isn't quite as sticky as it used to be.

JWT

Crow
The Int Corps really isn’t ’very very choosy’. That is a fantasy put about by Int Corps officers. It’s a similar set up to the Royal Signals - it selects from the middle of the pack at RMAS.

There does seem to be a disconnect between Int Corps officers and soldiers. The officers do struggle - although mainly because they are not great leaders. If they were then they probably wouldn’t have joined the Int Corps. Int Corps soldiers are given responsibility at quite an early stage and tend to be confident in their own opinions.
Possibly a stupid question: If you were to be in the top third at RMAS would that negatively affect your chances at going to the Int Corps/would the Army try to influence you to choose a different direction other than Intelligence?

Euclid

Old-Salt
Possibly a stupid question: If you were to be in the top third at RMAS would that negatively affect your chances at going to the Int Corps/would the Army try to influence you to choose a different direction other than Intelligence?
Good attempt at a wind up/fishing expedition but must try harder. I’m guessing you’ve got an issue with your boss who haplwna to be an Int Corps officer

JWT

Crow
Good attempt at a wind up/fishing expedition but must try harder. I’m guessing you’ve got an issue with your boss who haplwna to be an Int Corps officer
No wind up - I just wondered if the Int Corps ONLY select from middle of the pack, which is what I thought Widow11 was saying.

I’ve only just sent off my medical form to apply to join so excuse if I come across as pretty ‘green’ (I am). An offer from Sandhurst is a long way off, but I like to do my research.

Latest Threads