Officer training help

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by tiger1904, Jan 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had my initial interview with the army yesterday and have been given the dates 23rd/24th march as my briefing dates. Firstly, i was wondering if anyone else is attending the same days?

Mainly though i was told that i may come across as too narrow in the things ive done, when i was younger i was never very sport orientated which has kind of tripped me up now. When i get back to university im going to join a boxing class and a spin class just so i have something down on paper. Anyone have any other ideas to broaden my application with?

cheeers guys (this is my first post on here so sorry if its in the wrong place)

2. Boxing will probably look/sound good to the army, spinning is just a form of fitness training and won't set you apart from the crowd, all of whom should be fit. What you really need is some sort of example of working in a team. If you play any team games that might work, otherwise some sort of group activity (Duke of Edinburgh Awards, perhaps?) If you're at university you could always join the OTC (or indeed one of the other clubs/organisations).

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. Cheers guys i just missed the OTC entry for january so i have to wait until october which is a little gutting. But yeah i might see if there are any Army Cadets around that i could volunteer at. Do you think it would affect my CAT pass from briefing or aslong as i start now and keep working solidly before main board i should be okay?

4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It won't have any effect on your briefing category.

Your 'background' is a complicated issue but for the purposes of the Briefing, you need to be able to demonstrate that you understand the roles and responsibilities of a junior officer, have an understanding of the concept of 'leadership' and that you will - with the correct training - be able to cope with the physical demands of the Main Board and RMAS. Having done things like the DofE Award scheme, or being in the OTC or TA, can be a shortcut to demonstrating this, but it isn't the 'be all and end all'. You will be assessed on your performance at Westbury where they can actually see what you've done, not on what you claim to have done elsewhere. More account is taken of your background at the Main Board, and a fair amount of notice is taken of what good quality referees have to say about you (i.e., people like UOTC or TA COs, university tutors, headteachers; rather than drinking buddies and family friends).

5. Although frankly you wonder how on earth some people who end up at RMAS managed to get through all those hoops...

6. Switchback - the risk pass...who is apparently of a worse standard than a Cat B or whatever it is. Make or break the risk pass, as the result will either be a couple of weeks at RMAS, or you convert them into an officer.

Some of the lower pass categories from AOSB scrape through and fail a bit further along the way.

At least, that is what I have gleaned along the way. I wonder how some of my platoon got there - the two rotund chaps, almost twins. One was back termed (phys), one ended up Rifles (I think) and left at his 8 year point. The ex-RAF guy who was told "RMAS is just like Uni..." after he couldn't proceed beyond flying training, as he had grown (he did the course back to front). The foreign student who was so big, that even with inserts stitched into his OG trousers and after an entire summer holiday of thrashings at the PTI school in Aldershot, still couldn't pass a PFA...

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

You have to remember that until recently an AOSB/RCB pass was valid for 7 years so it was quite possible for someone who had turned up at Westbury as a lean, mean whippet aged 17 and passed, to then show up at Sandhurst aged 24 having discovered a taste for beer, pizza and World-of-Warcraft marathons in the meantime.

The three basic categories at AOSB are pass, risk pass and fail. Those with risk passes are a lower priority for entry than straight passes and may never get through the gates at Sandhurst if there are sufficient straight passes to load onto the courses; if they do get there, the areas of risk are flagged up for RMAS.

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

To the OP. My sponsoring unit hated TA/OTC as they thought it made people going on to join the Regulars 'a bit two dimensional'. Do something with an element of challenge, which shows a bit of positive originality and gumption, and which other people would enjoy talking to you about. You're going to have to work effectively with a range of people in difficult circumstances - the ability to demonstrate that you can do this is the best possible asset, closely followed by clear evidence that you're not related to Norman Bates.