Officer selection

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Dammj, Aug 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right i have been doing some research and just looked at the AOSB briefing and after the two days you get put into a category. If you don't get a category 1 and you get a 2 it says then can delay you 24 months. That is a long time and if this happens can you pull out and apply for soldier instead?

And yes i know people are going to say that you should not think like that and crack on but its one of those what if situations.

2. Yes, you can 'pull out' at any time but if you get a Cat 2 then I seincerely suggest that you don't.

Category 2 indicates that you have all the qualities that they're looking for but would benefit from some life experience. It's rare that they'll send you away for 24 months and if they did then it would be because you're 17, can barely hold a newspaper with your arms outstretched and are somewhat on the quiet side.

More than likely, you'll be given a Cat 1 if you have the right stuff. If you need a little more world experience, then they'll give you a 6 month deferral for Main Board in which time you'll be able to brush up on your weak areas from the feedback they give you. (You still go to Main Board so it counts as a pass)

The feedback's brilliant, by the way. It may seem a little heart-crushing, but if you work at addressing your weak-points and strengthening your stong-points then you will stand in good stead to get through AOSB Main Board.
  3. Okay thanks. Well i will be applying as a non grad and hopefully i have what they are looking for. Cheers for the help
  4. Hi Dammj,

I am also applying as a non-grad and completed my briefing 3 months ago. I was given a Cat 2-3 phys. Meaning I have what it takes to pass Main Board but my fitness is not up to scratch. It is slightly demoralising to not get a Cat 1 but as stated above the feedback is fantastic and the way your graded works well to show areas that need improving. When I came home from my briefing I trained for 3 months and then called to arrange my main board. I was given a 4 month wait! So it takes a while even if you get a Cat 1 pass.

I found the briefing very enjoyable and a real help towards furthering my application. Go and enjoy it if your Officer material you will be fine.

Good luck with your application.

5. Good drills from Outc4st. Congratulations. When are you at Welbeck?

The best thing about the AOSB Briefing is that you're surrounded by some of the most enthusiastic individuals in Great Britain. I felt a million times more competitive and challenged when I was there and full of energy from the whole experience. Just to put it into context and I know this won't happen to you but even a Cat 4 is not a fail so to speak. I imagine it's painful to get, but it just means that you are not what the assessors are looking for AT THE PRESENT TIME. You can still improve on areas of weakness and re-apply at any time in the future.

Study your arse off on Speed/Distance/Time equations, hammer the fitness, get your head in as many newspapers or newspaper websites as you can and start talking to people with the view to learning where the gaps in your knoweldge are. Go in with an open mind and a passionate heart and you're already what they're looking for.

Good luck both of you
  6. Thanks StrainOfCommand,

got my Main Board in November. To further what you said I found "The Week" to be a useful read, if slightly delayed with news. The page they have every week titled "Briefing" is especially useful as it goes into enough depth for you to sound like you have some knowledge on the subject.

I left my briefing feeling a bit subdued by my Cat 2 but one of the guys was really pleased with his Cat 3 because it didn't mean he had to wait for any set time. He told me he would listen to what they told him on the day and apply for his Main Board when he got home that day.

Good luck to him!
  7. Wow. Thanks for the replies everyone. I was thinking earlier that i made a mistake by going to college. But over the past few days i have done some serious thinking and I'm going to apply as a officer.

Just one more question. When applying as a non-grad. When should i apply. After my first year in college? or half way through my second?

Thanks for the answers.
  8. Would you have enough points to be able to apply as an officer if you haven't finished college?
  9. Thats right i wouldn't but when i was applying for a soldier trade they told me to put in my predicted grades. And the forms i was filling in had a section for A-Levels and you put in you predicted grades. So i was thinking could i do that?
  10. As far as I'm aware you can go through to the Colonel's Briefing with your predicted grades but you'll probably be told to come back when you have all your UCAS points. I really advise that you go to college, enjoy yourself but apply yourself thoroughly to make sure you get the grades. I'd really recommend Uni and the UOTC as well, but that's between you and David Cameron at the moment.

The most common factor between everyone who got a Cat 4 was literally life-experience. It's a catchphrase they use to encapsulate everything from 'not high enough grades' to 'complete lunatic who shouldn't be left in charge of a dead rabbit let alone a squadron.' So make sure you've filled in all the gaps you can see, volunteer as much as possible and enjoy yourself while you can.

I'm almost 27 now and had to defer my Hofficer application for a long time because I didn't have the UCAS points. But I've more or less been pushed through now because my sponsor believes me to be: 'Very well-rounded.' Which I take to be high praise indeed.

Definitely pursue the Officer route if you can. You'll only be left wondering otherwise. Good luck.
  11. I got a cat 2 with a 12 month delay on the grounds of inexperience. At the time I had done a year at a UOTC but little else. If you are applying straight after A-Levels then make sure you are a really switched-on cookie or you have lots to talk about besides saying I went to school, then collage and I used to play in my school football team.

If you don't get a cat 1, don't give up on officer training so you can rush into the army as a private soldier, you may find you regret it later if being an officer is what you really want to do.

12. Hello this is my first post, i was just hoping you guys could clear some bits up for me.
    I have heard rumours from various people that the you have to be a certain "breed" to become an officer in the army, i.e right school tie. are they just being stereotypical??

Also i plan on joining the TA to pay my way through uni, would this work in my favour for Officer application??

13. Yes - utterly stereotypical. Even if "will he or she fit in" is still an important criteria for regimental selection, very little of that is nowadays down to which school you went to as opposed to who you are. And, frankly, it's never been that important in the various Corps ...

If you do well in the TA, it will certainly help. If you do badly, it won't. On the other hand, do think carefully about going to OTC as opposed to standard TA. Less beefy on the military side but they do understand that you are a student and work round it and it is definitely more aimed at potential officers as opposed to a pukka TA trade.
  14. Thank you very much glad you cleared that up for me, with the OTC my local one is in london but i live in canterbury, once i complete the training would i be able to be based at my local ta regiment
  15. OTC is for Uni students - if you're at Uni, then your Uni affiliated OTC will be the one you attend.

TA is not geared up to allow any kind of dispensation for being at Uni - by which I mean if you try and do well in the TA, your studies at Uni will probably suffer. OTC is geared around terms and uni life. 50% social as well, as by no means do all OTC Cadets become regular officers. Those that dont join the army will have experienced a flavour of the military and probably have a better understanding of the demands of the TA and wider military in business later (assuming of course that all graduates becom e successful business people - that's the theory anyway).

Doing anything other than just studying will inevitably "help" your application. The TA may detract from your studies, OTC is a proven route, but being in another Uni club that broadens your horizons (another sports club, activity etc that you need organisation skills for and to be outgoing) will help.

As I understood it, a Cat 4 was it - you get a Cat 4 you don't have the stuff. It doesn't mean you're a failure, just that you're not an officer. If we could all do it they wouldn't need to have a boarding system at all. As stated above, a Cat 2 with an advisory to work on specific areas over a set time is no bad thing - it makes you a better candidate (or should). Cat 3 might not even be the end of the world IF you can address the issues highlighted and go back a different candidate.

I would say that IF you got a Cat 2, return after 24 months and you think you would sack off your application to enlist as a soldier, you don't really want to be an officer. 2 years is a long time, but if you want it enough you would use the time to work on the issues highlighted, gain experience and return as a better prospect - and that has to be better for you, rather than giving up and "just" becoming a soldier because you can't be bothered to wait. That would be a slightly immature stand point, and maybe that would be a reason someone is given a 24 month delay - to test their resolve!

Good luck one and all...