Officer selection question

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by AA_09, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone

I'm 16 and studying for my A-levels in September (just finished my AS's). I'm predicted three As. I would like to join as a combat officer, are A levels all that's required, or would I have to go to university? What would be the best option for me?

Also, what are the required fitness levels. Obviously, it's going to be pretty high standards, but was it what you expected, or harder/easier? What kind of training should I be doing to prepare myself. Also, I believe there's an entry exam, right? If so, what's that like?

Thanks in advance

2. Thanks for the link, and yes, they don't seem to be too bad. Although there must be other aspects of the test, right? (Like the heavy lifting and 1.5 mile run, or is the Bleep test comparable to the run?)

I don't know if I want to go to university...

3. No-one on here can decide what suits you; only you can decide that.

You can join with A Levels but, if you are good enough, you would be better off with a degree behind you. There are opportunities to read for a degree whilst being paid by the Army and you might want to pursue those.

In broader terms, you might consider joining the Cadets/Scouts/DofE etc where you will have the opportunity to lead and organise other people.

Spend some time browsing the fora...

Litotes

4. AA_09,

If you do go to uni, then you could join the UOTC or the TA this would give you a ground in to military life etc, and earn money for your beans on toast / snakebite

Stilts

5. Thanks for the advice guys, does it matter what you study? I'd choose biology.

6. How would you not get caught dealing COKE?

Case ongoing in Catterick as we speak.

7. Yo!
    i'm in the same ish position, however i would like to go for an officer in the RMP,
    i found that you need to have from your A-levels
    180 Ucas points from 2 Subjects grades A-E
    which to be fair, is piss!

good luck buddy.