Officer Residency Requirements

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by JT2013, Aug 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Evening,

To start off I’m a UK citizen and I have been resident in the UK since birth.

I’m looking for advice, I have the opportunity to go live and work in another country for a year, it is something I’d really like to do but not at the expense of my long term career aspirations. My worry is this would affect me in terms of the 5 year residency requirements for officer applications because I wouldn’t be in the UK for that year (and at my age I wouldn’t be able to go and then wait 5 years after I came back as I would be over 26 by then) and this is what I asked Capita...

However, I was given conflicting answers - Capita’s first answer on the online chat was “it probably won’t affect you, apply and do your AOSB before you go then see what happens when you get back” and when I tried the phone number as I was looking for something more definitive they said “It probably would affect your application”.

So I’ve got two completely different answers from the same people and I’m just looking to see if anyone has a definitive answer as Capita don’t seem to.

2. {wah shield on} Saying that though there's been some pretty shit and bone questions recently asked by a new intake of mongs on arrse, so it could be a real one!

Five year residency is for foreign and commonwealth applicants, you're British therefore it doesn't matter!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Get the advice in writing, however, I would have thought that a very significant proportion of kids joining the Army would have spent a gap year overseas.

I spent a year drinking and catching social diseases in South Africa before joining but that was years ago.
  4. I don't see where the confusion lies... Whether you spend a week, a month or a year out of the country, you are still a British resident entitled to join the British Army! Just to make it clearer - quite a few Army Bursars are studying foreign languages and often spend a year abroad studying with no impact to their joining.

As stated, the 5 year rule is for a non-British applicant. I'll dig out the bit of paper you're desperate to have in your mits and if possible put a link up when I'm in work tomorrow.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

As stated above, the 5 year rule is not for Britsh citizens. Do bear in mind though that some jobe will require you to have a 203 done if you spend more than 28 coninuous days ot of the country.
  6. Not quite right, I'm afraid.
    It also effects UK-born, British citizen (offspring of two British citizens from Army/FCO families, father ex-Army), who 'mistakenly' decided to live with his parents in a 1st-wave EU country from age 5 - 17.
  7. Having forgotten to look for said recruiting document produced by, I think from memory ARTD, I can't confirm you specific case but that definitely doesn't sound right!

You may need to ask them to correct the main army website which a simple google can find!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)