Officer Reserve Recruitment for Peacekeeping Missions - which unit?

A big factor in your choice of unit, should be geographical location.

It’s all well and good joining the 5th Glasgow Disaster Relief Regiment, but f you live in London it’s all largely pointless.

Best to speak to your local unit and see what sort of stuff they get up to.

I would suggest that the bigger and more diverse the unit, the more opportunities there will be to deploy with different units, in different roles.

Of course if you’re in London then there can be only one.

HAC all the way.

The HAC is a big unit (in Army Reserve terms) with a lot of fingers in different pies. When I was there HAC soldiers deployed with the Guards, 4/73 battery RA, RLC, REME, 29 Commando, 7 Para RHA, PWRR, RAMC plus a few others.

Not many other Army Reserve units have the contacts and clout to get soldiers into such a wide and varied range of units. It’s about casting your net wide and far. If someone is out there doing peacekeeping stuff, then they’re more likely to accept an AR soldier from a unit they know and have contacts with (never underestimate the power of inviting people to the best ball in town) than from a completely unrelated cap badge.
Thanks for this, I am seriously looking at the HAC following this post.

Sorry to burst your ballon here mate, but I worked for years in the aid and development field and found it to be a soul destroying waste of my time.

I was in Indonesia when the 2004 Tsunami hit. The behaviour of NGOs and government bodies was disgusting to say the least.

Day one the Jakarta hotels booked out with emergency response “tourists” and the bars and bar girls did a roaring time. That first day one stupid NGO hired the only heavy lift helicopter in the area, and used it to make a donations promotional video clip at Banda Aceh. That afternoon the locals tried to hire it to move life saving medicines and it had gone.

Less than 10% of those NGO tourists ever left the cities to actually see what was going on. I saw them every night in seedy bars with a hooker on their arm. Hundreds, HUNDREDS, of them.

It was an NGO bonanza.
Sounds outrageous and disgusting.

How do I go about joining these NGOs? Errrr so that I can change it from within.

UKTAP

LE
You do realise that the HAC do watching baddies from holes in the ground, and not mincing around the world giving free stuff to foreign governments and NGOs so they can steal them from the locals?

From your initial post, I wouldn't bother with any of the Armed Forces. I would look at Oxfam or something like that. As long as you also realise that these organisations absolutely don't exist to help others, but as a business to line their own pockets...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Jolly good, you won’t regret it.

My one piece of advice is to not go wading in there expecting to be an officer straight away.

Up until fairly recently everyone joined as a trooper regardless of qualifications, social standing or even former commissioned service.

While that has changed in recent years, the ethos of junior ranks being on equal terms with officers still very much remains. There is no officers mess for example.

It was generally said that anyone who could join the HAC as a trooper, was good enough for most other units as a junior officer.

A trooper can expect to sit next to the CO or even Prince Michael of Kent for a drill night supper.

Basically what I’m saying is to be an officer in the HAC, you have to be pretty outstanding, because the lads and lasses you’ll command certainly are.

Get yourself down there, meet everyone, soak up the vibe of the place and give it a go. Nothing else will even come close.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You do realise that the HAC do watching baddies from holes in the ground, and not mincing around the world giving free stuff to foreign governments and NGOs so they can steal them from the locals?

From your initial post, I wouldn't bother with any of the Armed Forces. I would look at Oxfam or something like that. As long as you also realise that these organisations absolutely don't exist to help others, but as a business to line their own pockets...
Only a small bit of the HAC do that. There is an Airborne light gun sub unit, CIS, Med wing, Corps of Drums, band, special constabulary, 2 purely ceremonial units, various support units to the above.

There are tons of different roles and they’re all pretty good. It’s not just sitting in underground holes shitting in plastic bags.

Jolly good, you won’t regret it.

My one piece of advice is to not go wading in there expecting to be an officer straight away.

Up until fairly recently everyone joined as a trooper regardless of qualifications, social standing or even former commissioned service.

While that has changed in recent years, the ethos of junior ranks being on equal terms with officers still very much remains. There is no officers mess for example.

It was generally said that anyone who could join the HAC as a trooper, was good enough for most other units as a junior officer.

A trooper can expect to sit next to the CO or even Prince Michael of Kent for a drill night supper.

Basically what I’m saying is to be an officer in the HAC, you have to be pretty outstanding, because the lads and lasses you’ll command certainly are.

Get yourself down there, meet everyone, soak up the vibe of the place and give it a go. Nothing else will even come close.
I’d second that. I did my PNCO cadre with the HAC, and found them to be a great bunch of lads and lasses.

Normally I’d jump in and suggest you come and join me at 255 TACP Battery, and do the coolest job in the army, but as peacekeeping doesn’t usually involve calling in air-strikes, then I’d say yes, go ahead and look at the HAC.

Latest Threads