Officer Requirements Question

Lakevu

Swinger
Hello everyone! Was looking to see if anyone knew anything about wether you have get rid of your dual citizenships when receiving a commission in the army? Been doing a lot of research and some places say you do and other places say you don't. Just looking for a more solid answer if somebody has one. Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate any help you can give me!!

Hello everyone! Was looking to see if anyone knew anything about wether you have get rid of your dual citizenships when receiving a commission in the army? Been doing a lot of research and some places say you do and other places say you don't. Just looking for a more solid answer if somebody has one. Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate any help you can give me!!
Why do you want to know?

Bit of a minefield. Depending on how you acquired your citizenships and which country, you possibly CAN'T get rid of the non-UK one (or non-Commonwealth). For example I was born in the UK, but have been naturalized in the US. I can't "not be born in the UK", thus I can pretty much always go back to the UK as a prodigal son and reclaim that citizenship. There are a couple of exceptions, but basically that's true. If another country had an issue with that, then I would be stuck. What sometimes matters is whether one exercises that other citizenship. Like renewing passports, voting in that country, maintaining a residence there etc.

The country itself matters too. If we're talking say Canada and UK, then no big deal. If it's North Korea and UK and you have a wife in NK, then that's a massive red flag to DV clearance. Any kind of clearance, for that matter. In between there is a whole spectrum of "OK, no issue, through "we don't like this, but we'll make an exception" to "Hell, no".

Only the Army can give you a definitive answer, and even then, they might say "OK to apply" and you are successful, and then they vet you and find something they don't like. They will not vet you at an early/pre-emptive application stage, it is too expensive.

Best of luck, but speak to the Army.

Bit of a minefield. Depending on how you acquired your citizenships and which country, you possibly CAN'T get rid of the non-UK one (or non-Commonwealth). For example I was born in the UK, but have been naturalized in the US. I can't "not be born in the UK", thus I can pretty much always go back to the UK as a prodigal son and reclaim that citizenship. There are a couple of exceptions, but basically that's true. If another country had an issue with that, then I would be stuck. What sometimes matters is whether one exercises that other citizenship. Like renewing passports, voting in that country, maintaining a residence there etc.

The country itself matters too. If we're talking say Canada and UK, then no big deal. If it's North Korea and UK and you have a wife in NK, then that's a massive red flag to DV clearance. Any kind of clearance, for that matter. In between there is a whole spectrum of "OK, no issue, through "we don't like this, but we'll make an exception" to "Hell, no".

Only the Army can give you a definitive answer, and even then, they might say "OK to apply" and you are successful, and then they vet you and find something they don't like. They will not vet you at an early/pre-emptive application stage, it is too expensive.

Best of luck, but speak to the Army.
Jolly sensible response. Take a like

Latest Threads