Officer requirements little hazey

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Mighty_Man, Oct 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I have looked and searched other topics and threads on this but they're all subject to the particular person so bear with me.

Im in my final year of University, looking at attaining a 2:1 degree in History, got a briefing with a colonel next week about joining as an officer. The problem is i only have 140 Ucas points but thats made of a D and two E's due to discovery of alcohol and idioocy when I was in college. Now I have the two A levels A-E required but not the required 180 UCAS points.

Is there a way around this due to my degree or is it a set in stone requirement, I have seen other threads like this but they were for applications without a degree.

Also to add I have a fair bit of life experiance, International sailing, Air cadets, worked since I was 16 as a lifeguard, oh and Im 22.

I am actually kicking myself about the UCAS points and would wait to ask the colonel but would love some sort of guidance now if possible!

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
  2. You've got a meeting with a colonel? I'd wait to chat to him as I'm sure he'll advise you going forward.
  3. Welcome to Arrse.

At the moment, if you do not have the UCAS points, you will be shown the door. The country is in the grip of a deep recession and the Services are full and will only be interviewing those who meet the stated requirements. I have no doubt that the Colonel will tell you that.

He might point you towards the Recruiting Sergeant because your qualifications will do nicely for Soldier Entry.

It would be interesting to know what he/she does tell you providing, of course, that you do not compromise your identity. In other words, wait a few days after the interview before posting and don't reveal any details.

Good Luck!

4. If you are told that you don't meet the requirements, and going the officer route is definitely what you want, then there is nothing to stop you joining an FE college and doing an A-Level or two in a year (full time one one or two subjects, this is definitely possible) to get the points. Puts you a year back, but means you could apply for what you wanted.
  5. Cheers guys I'm hoping my degree and life Exp bypass that somehow but prepared for the worst if not. It is something I want and I always knew those silly years spent doing nothing in college would come back to haunt me!

I'll let you know how I get on as it's a subject that does appear frequently from what I have seen on these forums.

Thanks again
  6. The Colonel's Briefing is designed to weed out any potential pitfalls that will hamper your route to an Officer's path. If you're unsuitable then he will say so but he will address your pit-falls. Life experience counts for something, but for God's sake, do not say that you discovered booze and stupidity hence your low grades.

Talk about any voluntary work, sporting achievements, leadership/responsibility roles you had and anything else positive that you benefitted from but otherwise hampered your A-level studies. You got to Uni and he will note that.

Good luck and let us know,

7. Correct spelling may well be one of them, try hazy in future.

3/10 see me after school.
  8. I dont know, when asked why my A-Level grades were below the standard set at GCSE, I said it was due to girls and rugby occupying study time. I honestly had no other answer.

They didn't seem to mind at most of the Fam visits and the Colonel at main board sympathised, but then I have enough points. Tough one mate, good luck and I hope that it works out for you.
  9. and experience.............
  10. Out of curiosity did you have a degree at all?

11. Ye I do, and im getting on at the ripe old age of 25 so had fair bit of this old "life experience" people bang on about.

To be honest, wait until you have spoken to the colonel as Stripe suggested, then you will get a definitive answer. This forum, although containing gems of info, has a habit of scaremongering.

12. The fact that you went to the "best" university in the world probably skated over little issues raised. ;)

13. Just an update on my previous posts, although I do not hold the required UCAS points my degree will trump that, and I have started proceedings to become an officer. Thanks to all that helped its greatly appreciated.
  14. I think I'm right in saying that the 180 UCAS points is the minimum requirement if you were to apply without a degree (i.e. the required A-level, or equivalent, grades to go as a non-grad). Although you don't have a degree now, you are on track for a 2:1 and are probably not intending on dropping out having found you can continue in your application.

Degree trumps crappy a-level results, as it shows continued learning, aptitude etc. Chances are that the work done in your degree already qualifies you for some UCAS points - my degree had a whole plethora of pass combinations depending how badly you did in your exams - Hons, no Hons, different non-degree quals with corresponding UCAS points etc.
  15. I think things may have changed recently, as I'm in exactly the same position and received this response from the online careers office on the army website.

"what I am giving you below is the ABSOLUTE minimum qualifications that you must have, if you do not have 180 UCAS points you do not meet the requirements to apply for officer entry, as you cannot use a Foundation Degree or even a Degree as they do not attract UCAS points."

Seems a bit harsh seeing as a degree is a higher qualification than A-LEVELS, but if it means I have to go back to college for a year then so be it.