Officer Redundancy in Infantry

Discussion in 'Officers' started by napier, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Show me where to sign!

2. Not bothered, at least it'll help pay off the mortgage.

3. Oh God! time to look efficient.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

DCI 07/05 announces 120 x Reg C (YoB 1960-74) and 20 x IRC (LE) offrs to be 'selected' for compulsory redundancy. The selection board will sit in Jun 05, with those selected out by end Jun 06. I believe the package will be 18 months salary, but no immed pension unless already entitled (correct me if I'm wrong). So, do you feel lucky - Punk!?
  2. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

Hmmm, intersesting. I had sight of one of the 1200 letters that Inf MCM Div have sent out to their people; interesting reading...

The redundancies are Inf and CAMUS only, Officers in Phase 1 (who may apply) and soldiers in Phase II (who may not apply).

This is interesting (on the officers) as the agegroups shown would see many beyond Inf RD and at E2 employment. Why then was this package not widened to include the wider Army?

I'm sure we could do with losing a few of the lesser committed chaps from the other Arms as well :p

I've already had enquiries (at work) from a number of interested Inf officers who are now seriously considering applying (all Majors).

Of course 18 months salary tax free is not a bad incentive :D

Think how long (on such a meagre remuneration package) it would take to save that sort of money?

:wink: :wink:
  3. Any statistics on how many Inf officers are trying to re-badge? I've heard that the numbers this year are obviously high (and only now February), but clearly it can't come as any surprise :(
  4. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

Re the rebadging thing - Not yet.

Of course none of the desk offrs in Inf MCM I have spoken to since Monday have a clue - after all ppl do have to submit paperwork thru CO etc...

That said, a source very close to Freddie (Mil Sec) told me this afternoon...

"The Mil Sec reckons this is a fabulous opportunity for the average inf offr. After all its not every day that such an opportunity rears its head. Quote: If I was an Inf offr I wuld be jumping at this opportunity.. tough luck as Freddie is a one-time Gunner :wink: "

The Inf mentor at the APC, our own (and highly regarded Col Stewart), is reported to have spent 26 hours signing 1200 letters to the troops...

"Bugger me" he is reported to have said "I know that my right hand gets a lot of use but this was way and above the call of duty"

Today I received a further 4 phone calls from Inf majors enquiring...

and the first 2 inf Lt Cols in our org telephoned me today to ask some questions....
  5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Except that many of the other Arms are gaining manpower at your expense, so why keep on Infantry officers who are unemployable at RD or E1, when the other Arms are expanding.
  6. Also some of the other Arms and Services are already short of manpower, so I doubt very much that this will ever be considered seriously.
  7. Best letter I've had for some time. Good on the Col - in my case 5 seconds well spent!!!
  8. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

So you might consider the package then?

I know I did during "Options", but then got Pink Listed so the problem went away....
  9. 18 months salary doesnt seem all that appealing on a voluntary basis. But if you know you are going to get released from service I guess its not a bad deal.
  10. Wrong tense old chap. Only pink list I want is one in the FT!!
  11. I was pink listed too:

check this out:
  12. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Having now read the DCI, you'll all be glad to know that being tossed onto the scrap heap/SNLR does not mean that you can't/won't be called up as a reservist. In fact, there is probably some logic in making someone redundant and then calling them up for Iraq, etc. in order to take the pressure off those still serving. There is also a reference to having to repay some of your pay-off if you join up again within 2 or so years - does that include being compulsorily mobilised?
  13. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Has anyone got a copy of this fabled letter available electronically? I'm stuck in Baghdad, know I'm in the bracket but haven't seen it yet. Presumably snail mail from APC
  14. Could someone explain to me why the Army is spending so much money on recruiting new officers and at the same time trying to give some the push. Surely rebadging is the only sensible solution. It seems a waste of time, money and more importantly, experienced officers.
  15. New officer's make less money than Major's for example.
    What happen's if an officer isnt selected for Lt Colonel ? Is he allowed to stay until retirement ?