Officer recruiting

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jan 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I'm looking for some good ideas for Officer recruiting. What suggestions do the good members of arrse have?

If you would rather pm then to me, I'd be happy to share the ideas that I have come up with so far.

Ideas so far include the OTC, cadets, University job fairs and the ACIO.

2. snag 'em early - really early. Visit secondary schools/ cadet units and focus on the smaller ones - havent had the chance to develop cynicism - (thats how I was snagged!). A recruiting team used to come over to Guernsey a couple of times a year and do assault courses / cmd tasks with 14/15 year olds - works well, I think.
  3. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

Original thought at this time of the day can be a trial :wink:

How about just re-running some earlier adverts from say the 70s and 80s?

There was a very good centre page advert once in a well known Sunday colour supplement.

It was a picture of commuters dashing to catch a train at Waterloo.

The caption read: We are not looking for people who want to fight the Battle of Waterloo!

I recall tearing this out, folding it and retaining...

...years later at a MS4 interview at Stanmore I was asked if I fancied a Main Building job and I produced the advert :D :D

Also it's nearly that time of year to start having another dig at the French?

4. Fresher fairs in a university might be good, as yes first years may not be quite the calibre you want (or some may well be) but the 2nd and 3rd years always go around too seeing about freebies...
  5. msr

msr LE

I've had the CCFs rejected by my CO, perhaps I can win him over...

Sleep on it and let me know tomorrow morning :)

Freshers fairs are just too busy and the number of bods we would have to deploy during the week makes it hard.

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

6. Been involved in TA recruiting for 10 years and Officer Recruiting in particular for just over 2. No single "magic wand" solution just lots and lots of EFFORT on as many different initiatives as you can come up with. One that worked very well for us last year was an email "viral" marketing campaign - i.e. established a web-link and then sent an email to everyone we could think of asking them to forward to anyone they could think of who was a genuine hot prospect for Officer Training. Initial email needs to be people you know who could reasonably expect you to send that type of email to stay within relevant legislation.

THE KEY is once you have a name and contact details for an interested potential recruit then you need to NURTURE MARKET them right up until you see the whites of their eyes at the DEPO Selection Weekend.

I've got a flowchart which details this exactly in a process which complies with all DPA legislation. Happy to email to anyone with an armynet or unit/individual with a tanet account - please PM or email me with details.
  7. A quick point from a n00b and rather changing the tack of the conversation but...

I'm going through the non DEPO route to Sandhurst. I find it interesting now that the TA is bending over backwards to get as many officers through the doors as possible.

When I first walked through the doors of my TAC I was quite clear about wanting to go the officer route, and I was told that I would have to 'prove' myself as a soldier before I would be considered... fair enough. It took two years before I was allowed to attend TCB. A few of the officers including my 2i/c have shown an interest but generally my unit still seems quite apathetic towards my progress.

This could be quite disheartening but fortunately I've made some really good friends through Mod2 and Mod3 and training with 49 (E) STT and ULOTC so I don't really seek acknowledgment from my unit.

Anyway, my point is that although it's been disappointing to have had minimal support from my unit, I believe that the two years I spent as a Tom will have helped me understand my troops and therefore make me a better officer.

What do others think?

A more pressing question to ask is when does the TA expect to commission all these new officers?

Sandhurst runs three courses a year for the TA, with approximately 120 places per course (I think, I'm not sure but it's certainly not more than that). That equates to 360 maximum places per year.

Given that not every DEPO or TAPO will get through TCB and TAMB or through the modular system, plus the fallout rate at Sandhurst PLUS the fact that the shortfall is nearly 2000 officers in the TA which means if no one left the service it would still be 6-7 years before the shortfall could be addressed (breathe), when does the TA think it can reasonably be back up to full strength in the officer corp?

There also seems to be no filter in place for regional representation (balancing the number of DEPO's and TAPO's around the country).

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
  8. msr

msr LE

I think that this posting has many relevant points for the TA Manning thread.

And with the average age of the serving TA Officer now 40, in 6-7 years half of the officers will have retired, or extended.

9. TACC runs four times a year, and nominally has 60 places (although the summer generally has more due to OTCs). Appart from the summer the other courses are usually 50% full...
  10. msr

msr LE

I thought it was down to three times per year.

11. Actually SB you are going through the same process just that you are categorised as a UPO (Unit PO) as oppose to a DEPO (Direct Entrant). Modules 2, 3, 4, 4a and 5 are identical - and are the same course, the only alternative now is UOTC. The only difference between UPO/DEPO training will be in Module 1 where a UPO will have gone through their own CMS(R) (Recruits' Course) whilst a DEPO does the Officer's version, that is, all the training from CMS(R) PLUS the potential Officers have the following added:

Uphold the qualities of an Army Officer
    Lead & Manage Soldiers
    Lead a Platoon in combat

These are all repeated on Module 2, so you won't have missed out.
  12. Not since 2003 IOWR. There are now only 3 TACCs per year. They run in May, July and September.
  13. Thanks for clearing up a few points lads. Having listened to a few various points of view I believe that DEPO's will be disadvantaged in some ways by not having unit experience, but on the other hand perhaps an influx of young Subbies with no preconceptions may be just the thing to revitalise the TA Officer Corps.

On the numbers at Sandhurst point... it is 3 courses, and having checked it's 60 per course... So my other question still stands; how do the TA expect to fill the shortfall when they can possibly only commission 120 people a year, and that's if they let EVERYONE through.

I appreciate that they can start commissioning more LE's etc but that's not an answer long term.

It would appear that more Sandhurst courses are needed, but are they getting the recruits to fill those slots?

Incidentally... anyone booked on for the big S in May?
  14. msr

msr LE

Last time I looked, 3x60 was 180.... :wink:

Either way it's not going to fill the gap is it?

15. No wonder I never win at darts!