Officer re-branch to ATO?

stand234

Swinger
I thought it better to ask the question here first before I put my head above the parapet with the CoC. For a long time I had a dream of becoming EOD, I considered going Ammo Tech before I commissioned initially. Long story short I didn't and I'm not RLC. If I want to apply ATO do I have to be RLC capbadge? If not is there rank limit i.e. if you're beiged is it still possible to jump across? It's been on my mind a lot lately and I'm at a cross roads thinking I'd rather pursue interesting jobs I want to get out of bed for rather than chase promotion.

ATO is an RLC trade, so yes you will have to be RLC. Qualified ATOs are minimum rank of Captain, however Lt and Capt can undertake the course.

It’s a big decision to make. ATOs spend a couple of years in the trade then go onto other RLC appointments. You could quite easily end up pushing trucks around or making sure nuts and bolts get from A to B later in your career.

There‘s no guarantee you’ll undertake EOD duties either. If you’re lucky you’ll complete your course and get posted as the Commander of an EOD Tp. If you don’t have the aptitude then you’ll end up away from EOD duties. Even if you do have the aptitude you could still miss out to others.

Do some research, you’ll have an EOD Troop near you and you can speak to an ATO there. Other options are the RE who also undertake EOD duties.

stand234

Swinger
Dinger, thanks for the quick reply. I'm assuming it's the same process for RE EOD duties? Rebranch?

ATO is an RLC trade, so yes you will have to be RLC. Qualified ATOs are minimum rank of Captain, however Lt and Capt can undertake the course.

It’s a big decision to make. ATOs spend a couple of years in the trade then go onto other RLC appointments. You could quite easily end up pushing trucks around or making sure nuts and bolts get from A to B later in your career.

There‘s no guarantee you’ll undertake EOD duties either. If you’re lucky you’ll complete your course and get posted as the Commander of an EOD Tp. If you don’t have the aptitude then you’ll end up away from EOD duties. Even if you do have the aptitude you could still miss out to others.

Do some research, you’ll have an EOD Troop near you and you can speak to an ATO there. Other options are the RE who also undertake EOD duties.

Annex C to RLC Corps Instruction H2 from the RLC Corps Instructions will give you a start, promptly followed by Corps Instruction H4.

The RLC Corps Instructions can be found by searching Sharepoint.

I wish you luck.

Dinger, thanks for the quick reply. I'm assuming it's the same process for RE EOD duties? Rebranch?
During the later years of Herrick C-IED was opened up to all capbadges. I believe this has now ceased and you have to be RLC, RE or RN Clearance Diver

Latest Threads