Officer Ranks

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by outdoorman, Feb 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this is the wrong forum here goes.
    Bone question/ wah shield down.

My question is regarding the designation of officer ranks. An old chap regularly spouts off in the pub about his son who he is rightly proud of. He says he holds the rank of "Staff Major" in the regular army, previously he was a Staff Captain and before that he was a 2nd Lt Type B commission in the ACF.
    Does the designation "Staff" exist in officer ranks? I've googled it but no joy.
    And No, I'm not trying to out him as a Walt. I couldn't care less.

Wah shield up.

Cheers

2. No.

There are officers who have jobs at their various regiments/battalions/etc and this is called Regimental Duty. They hold ranks between 2Lt and Lt Col.

Then there are the same officers who get posted to various formations e.g. like the MoD, training establishments, Div and Bde HQs, etc. Many of these are called Staff appointments. Once officers get promoted to the rank of Colonel (full colonel, not Lt. Col) then they leave their various Regiments and join the General Staff. They replace their capbage with those appropriate to their rank and no longer wear their regimental capbage (though out of tradition most retain the headdress).

But no-one cuts around saying "I'm a Staff Major".

Edited to add: chances are the old duffer is simply confused. His lad is telling him that he is a staff officer in some formation or training unit - not a Regiment. As a TA officer (ACF) he is not qualified to command troops in a normal unit, so if he is a decent chap then the Army will keep him in jobs that benefit the ACF and the Army. Should he need to deploy with a Regiment or a HQ unit he would have a. done the full course at RMAS or b. done the full TA course at RMAS and then be attached for a short time to a Regular unit (or his TA unit deploys) or c. deployed as a 2Lt and done something really effing brave and stupid (and survived) and so received a field promotion that was later supported by the Army Board (IIRC this has not happened since the last spat with the Japs and the Jerries).

3. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Outdoorman it sounds like you describe a chap with the initials DW. Ex R.Sigs L/Cpl (dishon discharge) then ACF as a 2Lt (Dishon Discharge Again) and cuts about as if he's still living the dream...

4. "But no-one cuts around saying "I'm a Staff Major".

Edited to add: chances are the old duffer is simply confused. His lad is telling him that he is a staff officer in some formation or training unit - not a Regiment. As a TA officer (ACF) he is not qualified to command troops in a normal unit, so if he is a decent chap then the Army will keep him in jobs that benefit the ACF and the Army. Should he need to deploy with a Regiment or a HQ unit he would have a. done the full course at RMAS or b. done the full TA course at RMAS and then be attached for a short time to a Regular unit (or his TA unit deploys) or c. deployed as a 2Lt and done something really effing brave and stupid (and survived) and so received a field promotion that was later supported by the Army Board (IIRC this has not happened since the last spat with the Japs and the Jerries)."

Seconded on the confused old duffer front.

My own parents, despite me having been in for 16 years and having been the same rank for the last 3 have NEVER gotten my job right, they always address letters/cards to the wrong abbreviation of the rank and will quite happily wax lyrical about me in social circles and get the job title/appt wrong (although the actual substance is pretty much right).

I could explain to my family and friends what job I was in whether staff or RD and they would get it wrong in seconds and quite likely start calling me Staff/General/Captain/LCpl Choff

5. Many years ago there used to be a job called 'staff captain A/Q', did there not? Low man on the G3/4 totem pole at brigade level HQs, I think. You'd probably have to go back half a century to find one in the British Army, mind. Google gives a few examples of Commonwealth armies that have - or had - them

6. Thanks for the replies, the parent may be an old duffer but he was time served 22 years in the Int Corp, so you'd have thought he'd have more of an idea than most. I think its the parent at issue in this case. he tells different stories in different pubs and can't remember which version he's already told you.

7. Military Intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Ithangyew!

8. yep there's no intelligence there. by time he's circled the pubs drinking stella and whisky, he's promoted himself from major to full colonel. He forgets I used to live next door to him.
    Wedge, pm sent. looks like we live close.

9. A - Adjutant General - G1

Q - Quartermaster General - G4

Went out in the 1970's when they became SO3 (Staff Officer Grade 3) G1/G4 in Bdes and above.

10. Indeed. Pardon my error. It was easier when we had A, G, and Q.

11. Brigade Major still exists in the Gunners, COS, DCOS maybe he was CGS