Officer quote – Adj to subby

Discussion in 'Officers' started by here_be_mike, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I remember reading on here a while ago somebody quoting what their adj had said to them when they were a young subby. It was along the lines of “You are the last one to sleep, only after your men are billeted, and you are the last to eat”. It was in reply to somebody asking for info on becoming an officer but not grasping what it meant to be one, hence them saying the quote, but I cant find that post.

2. Take 5 was the most oft quoted quote from my first Adjt

3. Dave Brubeck was your Adjutant?! Nice! :cool:

4. IIRC, CS Forester's 'The General', had a young Cav Sqn OC (early 1900s) working by: the horses before the men, the men before the officers, and the officers before yourself'. Seems to a simple sailor to match with 'Serve to Lead', actually!

5. Our ships
    Our men
    Ourselves

6. Quality!

Mellow RHQ set up- CO on the double bass, the Badge on the piano....

7. Princess Anne (Our Colonel In Chief) on sousaphone. Mmm

8. Adjt memo to Ct Paymaster,

"We spoke
    You were late
    Take eight!"

9. Maybe he just meant the order of attack, with the Colonels at the back?

10. Field Marshall Slim?

"My God, they’re worse than I supposed." then I saw why. I walked round the corner of that clearing and I saw officers making themselves a bivouac. They were just as exhausted as their men, but that isn’t my point. Officers are there to lead. I tell you, therefore, as officers, that you will neither eat, nor drink, nor sleep, nor smoke, nor even sit down until you have personally seen that your men have done those things. If you will do this for them, they will follow you to the end of the world. And, if you do not, I will break you."

11. Slim. An awesome man.

Defeat into victory should be compulsory reading for all young officers!

I had a CO who made it precisely that. While it was a pain in the arrse to read as a subby (when all you want to do is get leathered) I fully appreciate the effort now.

12. 18 Platoon is compulsory at the factory, or at least it was back in 2003. That's a quality read right there! Teaches you more about leadership than all that JOLP bull that we get thrown down our neck now!

13. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

14. Not for some time now.. We were even made to hand in our copies of "swerve to lead!" Although having spoken to generations who have followed, it transpires that this was an oversight on the part of our DS as opposed to the Shop running short of copies..

15. Feed the Horses
    Feed the men
    Then Feed Yourself

As a CFAV, Cadets First.