Officer pension age

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by spaceman, Jan 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell why officer's pensionable age starts at 21 ? and if you were comissioned before you are 21 what happens to the 'extra' time served...
    many thx
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Simple answer is kiss it goodbye. Why, I don't know.
  3. Presumably same as time served for OR's before 18th Bithday.... It's non reckonable.
  4. so, if i had been shot (or similar) whilst serving overseas when I was a 2nd Lt at 19 it would have been "tough"... hmm
  5. Didn't the rules change for the new pension 2005 ?
  6. Yes
  7. This question was asked hundreds of times by old burggers like me. The answer always given was that it was contained in the Annual Pay Warrant issued by Act of Parliament and anyway "when you joined the Club you knew the rules", followed by the "you are on Officer not an OR" argument.

Not sure that would stand up to scrutiny in this day and age but in those days you saluted smartly, turned crisply and went before you were accused of being bolshy! (Trouble maker that one Colonel... Yeees, I think you may be right there Charles, make a note! ..... Yes Colonel).

On the plus side however I have heard from serving colleagues that our pension rights were better than they are now.