Officer Parade in Service Dress...okay but how?

How does a TA Officer fund his Service Dress (when the hat is more than that comic allowance)?
We have a large parade next year is the army going to fund Officer's Service Dress for a TA Regiment?

I think it is fair that we pay for our own mess dress as it is a bit of a luxury item but service dress...they are having a laugh?

Suggestions welcome.

Fair enough but you may not have served in the Reserve forces since 1910 but they let in people with wives, mortgages and various other expensive bad habits.

1-I pay for my suits for real work out of my own pocket. Do I want to buy this garb to wear it once a year, not too much really.

2-I think you will find that Regular Officers gets an allowance, one army concept?

3-Was looking for something more constructive but thanks..... looks like it will be a regiment worth of Officer's kit form e-bay.

1. A real officer pays for all his own civie clothes, inc suits.

2. A real officer's uniform allowence doesn't cover the cost of his uniform.

3. One Army concept.

4. Constructive, ok, well, a real officer doesn't get a second income plus a tax free bouns from part time employment so invest some of that in a No1 dress scarlet yeomanry hat with braided peak.

Hope that helps.

PS You have obviously NEVER served in the regular forces or you would know that proper/real officers also have mortgages (and quaters to pay for), wives, vet fees, various other expensive bad habbits and bloody expensive mess bills (not two balls a year!) and school fees too!

But sunshine, you aren't and you dont! Simple!

You don't require blues, tropical mess kit, warm weather service dress, at least two pairs of shoes (one for work and one for best), greatcoat AND british warm! You could get away with black tie for your dinner dos, but hell no, you'll pay for mess kit (sexy for the ladies) and bitch about having to pay for service dress!

Stop whinning like a scolded puppie and accept the fact the having the Queen's comission cost, but the perks are worth it and as long as you don't develop into a fatknacker what you get now will see you into the grave!

I love the resurgence of the terms 'proper' and 'real' in this discussion.

I think a little look at this thread might be required.

Chalky said:
I love the resurgence of the terms 'proper' and 'real' in this discussion.

I think a little look at this thread might be required.
Quite right! Ref my previous posts this thread, delete 'proper' and 'real' and insert 'full-time sole occupation' (after all, we're talking the cost of uniforms here, not whether the person is FFR to wear them after all...).

Oh the never ending debate is a career, house, social life is as good as a "real" commission? Perhaps initially it would be amusing, but I am sure the novelty must wear off and then what are you left with? A cupboard full of British warms, a hardly worn great coat and very little beside.

Capt_Cuddlebunny- Okay laddie I get your point. How silly of me to expect the army to provide? I had hoped that HMG would pick up the tab (and that some Arrse would tell me how to make this happen) but if you are having to pay for your own tropical full dress and shabraque then I really should dig deep again.

Now you run along back to being a 'real' Officer but do not work too hard this week and do take Wednesday afternoon off for gym lessons.

How true of OCAs!

Seeing as you have shown a wee bit of a sense of humour in the matter. you might try ringing Sandhurst, they have a shop there which sells second hand service dress etc. QOY being bog standard cav cut I believe, it's then just a case of getting the buttons etc changed - there's a nice little tailor over the road that from it too which can do that. If you go for second hand, get as good a fit as you can then get it tailored to fit you 'perfectly'. As to cap QOY are bog standard cavalry scarlet so you can easily pick one up second hand too. You might also consider advertising in various regt mags for it or looking in them to see if anyone is selling them.

For what it's worth, I'd bite the bullet, buy it new, bang it on the plastic (some tailors do it on, god forbid, HP and if you give it up, you can still sell it on for at least 60% of what it cost you. And on the big day you will shine in front of you CO etc and not look like an oik like the other subbies!

I'm sure we are all going to be issued No2 (Offr SD) in a few years. Probably doesn't help you now, but then you'll only have to buy hats and buttons.

The Army Presentaion team told us a few months ago, so it must be true....

Dear Capt Cuddlebunny (or anyone what can help with this),

Have tried the said place but they said they had nothing on their telephone list. Can you enlighten me further as to thrift shop type thing at Sandhurst please. I have purchased Service Dress and am getting other stuff sorted (if you plays the gamne you pays for the stuff approach) but am short Sam Browne and cap to complete the ensemble ;-).

Need all kit in place for last quarter so have some time yet to source from other than new!

Any help, gratefully received,

P

You might also have a look in the ads at the back of your Regimental magazine.

There are often retiring folk who advertise kit for sale there, if it isn't being sold through a YOs shop somewhere. That's probably more applicable to larger Regiments like the Gunners though.

Padre said:
Dear Capt Cuddlebunny (or anyone what can help with this),

Have tried the said place but they said they had nothing on their telephone list. Can you enlighten me further as to thrift shop type thing at Sandhurst please. I have purchased Service Dress and am getting other stuff sorted (if you plays the gamne you pays for the stuff approach) but am short Sam Browne and cap to complete the ensemble ;-).

Need all kit in place for last quarter so have some time yet to source from other than new!

Any help, gratefully received,

P
Ref the Sam Brown I'd get a second hand one, one with a bit of polish already on it - a chap wouldn't be seen dead in a 'new' one! From memory (haven't seen a padre in a No 1 dress hat in years), you might get away with a R Signals officer's hat (nice plain blue) (stands to be corrected here). The Signals Wing at Sandbags use to run the secondhand kit (I say use to as it is some time ago that my father sold off his kit on retirement) and I am aware that a retired Major at RSS Blandford runs a similar sort of set up for new Troopies! I have his name and once I get a number I will PM you. Silly as it my seem, you might also try the cadet supply department as the do sell Sam Browns and RAChD bits and bobs, I don't have a web address for them, but will find one for you.