Officer or soldier?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by stefano, May 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off, I have had a quick spin through previous posts and don't believe this to have been answered elsewhere. Apologies if it has or if it is a stupid question, however!

I've been giving some serious thought to joining the TA in recent weeks and have done a fair amount of background reading on the subject. Being a dyed-in-the-wool civvy, however, I'm unsure whether I would be better suited to joining as an officer or a soldier.

As far as I know I meet all of the basic requirements for officer training, but I like the thought of getting stuck in and learning a new trade.

Does officer training limit the chances for physical involvement and would I be laughed out of the building if I went along to a TA centre and asked for an opinion on what I was best equipped for?

Any opinions greatfully received!

2. If you just go in as a private they'll pick you out if they think that you're officer material. They did to me. (How wrong they were.... ) :D

3. For the TA - definately start off as a Tom. If you've no previous experience then you'll have to anyway. Much better to have some fun then go for commission if you like what you're doing than go for commission too soon, fk up and have to try and fit in with the lads after.
    Good luck and enjoy yourself!

4. I agree with the comments regarding joining the TA at grass roots level, and as stated previously should you possess the necessary qualities for commissioning, these will be spotted very early on.

5. I agree with the comments regarding joining the TA at grass roots level, and as stated previously should you possess the necessary qualities for commissioning, these will be spotted very early on. Good luck should you wish to pursue a career in the TA.

6. Thanks for the advice, it was what I was hoping to hear.

On to my next question - I have just moved into the Reading area, so does anyone have any stories (good or otherwise) about units in the area?

7. This one time, at band camp......

8. :D When I say stories, I actually mean information and/or advice. I knew I should have engaged my brain before typing...

9. This question has been discussed to death on the TA thread alone. Not being able to find anything may give you a combat indicator of the Officer/Soldier answer. Then again it could be wrong.

The rifles are the way forward and 7 Rifles are closest to you

10. London is 30mins on the train away, and the Honourable Artillery Company are there ( http://www.army.mod.uk/hac/ ). The HAC are an interesting unit with a quite hardcore Recruits Course, which requires everyone to join as a Trooper. A very good place to learn the trade.

11. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

7 rifles is good, and if you are in the reading area, we may even cross paths at some point. The reading unit is HQ Coy, so got signals, medics, cooks etc. you would be streamed into the assault pioneer platoon though, do explosives and stuff. However, you would be mainly an infantryman.

London units are of course more varied though, it depends what you want to do.