Officer or Soldier

I've been thinking of a career in the Army for some years now, im 16 still yet to do GCSE however could start applying for the Army now, only as a soldier of course. A few mates have started applying as soldiers. And one has decided to go down the Wellbeck route of becoming an officer, however i'm not fancying that nor am I getting straight A's / 7's. Family all say I should go for Sandhurst after college and possibly university most likely due to looking at the financial side of it which I don't fault them for doing so, however at the moment and I've been wondering what a Officer's life and role is like in comparison to a Soldiers. And also is it better be a Soldier than Officer in some regiments than others. So if anyone could help answering it would be greatly appreciated.

Most Officer entrants are early 20's. Junior entry for soldiers is 16/17. Probably comes down to whether you want to do A-levels or not. If you don't fancy them, go junior entry soldier. If you get A-Levels, by all means give AOSB a crack.

The only way to find out if you are more suited to Officer or Soldier is to meet some. You will quickly work out which group you feel you fit in to. In that regard, go to the Careers Office and have a chat.

If you are going to attend college/uni you could join the officer training corps, or you could join the reserves and look at it from ground level. The reserves would give you a better grounding and an appreciation of the soldiers end of the equation. You could then 18 months or so into your reserve career apply for a commission as a reserve officer which would give you some indication as to what lays before you in terms of applying as a regular officer.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

LWilson

Clanker
If you are going to attend college/uni you could join the officer training corps, or you could join the reserves and look at it from ground level. The reserves would give you a better grounding and an appreciation of the soldiers end of the equation. You could then 18 months or so into your reserve career apply for a commission as a reserve officer which would give you some indication as to what lays before you in terms of applying as a regular officer.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.
I've heard that joining the reserves in order to see if you like it is a waste of time. I have only heard this, I haven't experienced it.

I've heard that joining the reserves in order to see if you like it is a waste of time. I have only heard this, I haven't experienced it.
Given, it is not the regular army, then again OTC is not real officers either. Reserves/OTC and the regular army are like the difference between hamburger and steak, both beef, but different.

Life in a reserve unit is being around lots of other civvy's who wear a uniform for a number of weekends and two weeks a year. But, you will get a taste of what it is like as a regular. Join the reserve para's, or an infantry unit and being beasted around a field is being beasted around a field no getting away from that - join a postal squadron, field bathing unit or logistics unit and its not so much. It is worth the experience especially if you are looking to use it to step in and move up in 18 months or so.

Last edited:
OTC will tell you if you like being around other Officer types.

The proper TA won't tell you a lot, other than how to have webbing pouches fall off whilst you're leopard crawling and how to develop a massive gut whilst avoiding attending anything that sounds hard.

I've been thinking of a career in the Army for some years now, im 16 still yet to do GCSE however could start applying for the Army now, only as a soldier of course. A few mates have started applying as soldiers. And one has decided to go down the Wellbeck route of becoming an officer, however i'm not fancying that nor am I getting straight A's / 7's. Family all say I should go for Sandhurst after college and possibly university most likely due to looking at the financial side of it which I don't fault them for doing so, however at the moment and I've been wondering what a Officer's life and role is like in comparison to a Soldiers. And also is it better be a Soldier than Officer in some regiments than others. So if anyone could help answering it would be greatly appreciated.
Officer...to not do so if you've got the chance, is just insanity, so stop cockin' about asking 'no brainer' questions and get on with with getting a commission.

To the OP, go talk to some senior NCO's somehow [I have no idea if such people are still available at recruiting centres], they will very soon tell you if you're officer material in the corps you're thinking of joining, or which corps to join if you want to be an officer. The army is keen on you 'fitting in' and these are the people who are most likely to give you an honest opinion.

Officer...to not do so if you've got the chance, is just insanity, so stop cockin' about asking 'no brainer' questions and get on with with getting a commission.
I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I have A-levels (albeit not very good ones, but enough for a commission) and have even spent some time at uni but left in order to join the forces. My point is that I've never really wanted to join up as an officer but is that really the way I should be heading given the opportunity?

Chimp

ADC
Why not secure a place at university, defer for 4 years and join up as a soldier. You will get to know what it is like, then go to university (education paid for) and aim for Sandhurst.

DTBA

Old-Salt
The OTC will fit around university better, you’ll be around other students and it will be quicker to get into than a Reserve unit. Plus, you can regale people with OTC stories for years afterward.

Certain Reserve units, however, will have a lot of students in them. The Int Corps Reserve lot seem to have about half of their new entrants comprised of students, and they’re offering opportunities that you simply are not going to get with an OTC.

IMO, the main advantage the Reserve offers across the board is that if you decide a full time career in HM Forces is not for you, but you still want a taste a few weeks a year, then you’ll already be in the Reserve, perhaps even with rank. The OTCs main advantage is that you can very quickly get in and be around like minded people in the same boat as you, with a more permissive structure for university.

Latest Threads