• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Officer Mess Dress accessories (RA)

I have a question about Officers Mess dress, is it the done thing to wear a waistcoat chain or not ? The reason I ask is I am sourcing a presentation for a Gunner Officer and I came up with the idea of a watch (gunner time and all that) and chain for his mess dress but do not know is that is acceptable or not

Thank you

i've always tried to wear one, keeps me on "bar time" at least... nobody has complained yet... well not about my fashion sense (or lack of)!

I would go further and say it is essential. I actually cheated and put a cigar cutter on mine but then again it prevented me from looking bored and watching the clock during speeches!

Strictly speaking we have a mess kit in the gunners as it is not a recognised form of uniform. Therefore there is slightly more leeway with certain accoutrements

Back_at_RD said:
Strictly speaking we have a mess kit in the gunners as it is not a recognised form of uniform. Therefore there is slightly more leeway with certain accoutrements
Facile nonsense. "Mess kit" has no official standing because what we are discussing is mess undress uniform...

Please explain?