Officer info

Discussion in 'Officers' started by badda-boom, Aug 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

Just looking for people in the know. I'm looking to potentially become an Officer when I finish my degree. I tried to look through the stickies but most of the info on them are from years ago so I don't know how accurate they are any more.

1) I've been advised to start applying for Officer when I start my final year of my degree, does it really take a full year for the process to happen? If the process is shorter are they going to have a problem with me telling them that I want to finish my degree first or are they just going to accept it and get me in for the next intake (assuming I get it)?

2) At the moment I am quite torn between being a linguist or an Officer as I recently found out I cannot be both, if I go Officer can I pick up language courses for the fun of it or will I be advised against it or not allowed at all?

3) If I choose Officer I am looking to be an Officer in the Int Corps, can anyone tell me a little about what this is like? Anyone actually an Officer in the int corps or know any one who is who might be able to tell me a bit about the day-to-day stuff?

Anyway, I know I'm asking a lot of different questions so if you can answer 1 or all or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

2. 1. Has your Uni got an OTC, if it has go ask them for the most up to date info.

Failing that go to your local Army Careers office.

The selection process for Sandhurst takes a considerable time so get it started. They'll wait for you to finish your degree before you start. Best to get the selection process out of the way ASAP. Some info Army Officer Selection Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Training And Selection - British Army Website

2. Depending on your Language, They won't care whether your an officer or not. MoD is critically short of linguists and people who have an aptitude for languages so you'll be in a strong negotiating position if that's what you want to do.

3. Can't help with the third question but pretty sure someone from the green slime will be along soon.

good luck

3. Thanks for the info. Very interesting and much appreciated.

4. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Start the process as soon as possible, that'll allow you time to go on visits and get some understanding about who does what and whether the life is for you. The system knows your timetable re your degree and is more than capable of accommodating it (for me it was over four years between passing RCB and going to RMAS). The more you've shown an interest, as well as seen the Army at first hand, the better your chances of looking informed and valuable when it comes to the selection process. Good luck.

5. Thanks for the info. I've already been into the AFCO to speak to them even though they know I've got 2 years left of my degree, they said come back in a years time so that I have a year to go through the process and by the time I finish uni I should (having passed everything) be able to go pretty soon after that. Feel a bit impatient as to wait a year to get anything underway I'll be honest though.

6. Well, the key thing is to want to be an Army officer. Assuming a successful process through AOSB and Sandhurst, you may commission in the Int Corps - but I gather that the Corps is a sufficiently popular choice nowadays that it can afford to be brutally selective with Sandhurst intakes, so there's a pretty good chance that you may end up in something else.

There are certainly many Int Corps officers who have done language courses, usually for specific roles or posts.

7. 1) I've been advised to start applying for Officer when I start my final year of my degree, does it really take a full year for the process to happen? If the process is shorter are they going to have a problem with me telling them that I want to finish my degree first or are they just going to accept it and get me in for the next intake (assuming I get it)?

Yes, it does take a lot of time. No - your AOSB pass will last for a few years once you have earned it.

2) At the moment I am quite torn between being a linguist or an Officer as I recently found out I cannot be both, if I go Officer can I pick up language courses for the fun of it or will I be advised against it or not allowed at all?

You can be an operational linguist as an officer for a short period, it will have an impact on your career prgression, but not necessarily a negative one if you do it early enough. There will be very few people outside HQ INT CORPS and the Army Personnel Centre who will be abel to advise you on what that impact may be.

8. Long language courses are tri-service, and so is most of the interesting stuff the Int Corps does.