Officer in the 4 Para entry

Hello,

Is it possible to become a officer in the 4 Para as a troop commander. From what I gather online is that I can apply to become a officer after the training. Is there any chance to have direct entry to be a officer in the reserve.

Also how long would it take to become a officer in the reserves, would it take like 2 years?

Thank You.

Last edited:
Hello,

Is it possible to become a officer in the Para 4 as a troop commander. From what I gather online is that I can apply to become a officer after the training. Is there any chance to have direct entry to be a officer in the reserve.

Also how long would it take to become a officer in the reserves, would it take like 2 years?

Thank You.
If this isn't a wind-up, I think you need to do some research and get some English lessons. It's 4 Para. good luck, or rather, good luck to 4 Para.

The_Duke

LE
Where to start..

1. Contrary to popular belief, the entry standards for PARA officers are the same as for others. If you don't meet them (per your other thread), you are wasting your time.

2. Some officers go to 4 PARA having commissioned via the OTCs or other units. If they haven't done that already, most join as soldiers and then have the option to apply for officer training later. There is no "direct entry" route within 4 PARA.

Where to start..

1. Contrary to popular belief, the entry standards for PARA officers are the same as for others. If you don't meet them (per your other thread), you are wasting your time.

2. Some officers go to 4 PARA having commissioned via the OTCs or other units. If they haven't done that already, most join as soldiers and then have the option to apply for officer training later. There is no "direct entry" route within 4 PARA.

What is the timescale for 4 Para training as a soldier then to the OTC. Would it be like 18 months for training as a soldier then to office for 6 months in sandburst. Also would I be commissioned as a troop commander.

Thanks for the reply.

What is the timescale for 4 Para training as a soldier then to the OTC. Would it be like 18 months for training as a soldier then to office for 6 months in sandburst. Also would I be commissioned as a troop commander.

Thanks for the reply.
I think you need to go and have a chat with 4 Para.

Where to start..

Whilst nothing to do with this specific enquiry - how do 4 PARA do with DE Officers? Are you affected in the same way as the rest of the AR by being massively short of them?

The_Duke

LE
Whilst nothing to do with this specific enquiry - how do 4 PARA do with DE Officers? Are you affected in the same way as the rest of the AR by being massively short of them?
I have been away from RD for a while now so may be a little out of date, but attracting subbies was rarely a problem. The problem was that after a few years, a significant number went off to regular officer training (all services). Good in many ways, but the rank pyramid is virtually non existent, leading to problems in developing OCs of the future.

I have been away from RD for a while now so may be a little out of date, but attracting subbies was rarely a problem. The problem was that after a few years, a significant number went off to regular officer training (all services). Good in many ways, but the rank pyramid is virtually non existent, leading to problems in developing OCs of the future.

I also heard there was a problem in developing OCs in the past - hence why you got the job....

(badoom-tish)

The_Duke

LE
I also heard there was a problem in developing OCs in the past - hence why you got the job....

(badoom-tish)
I'll have you know that I was head and shoulders above my peers.

(The fact that they were both ocean going, gold plated, diamond encrusted incompetents of the highest order may have had an impact on the relative positions.)

Why in the name of god is the OP asking about Para here, RMR on Rum Ration and then wiffling on about UKSF too over there?

Well, because he's interested? He probably won't join any of them, but beyond some electrons being temporarily inconvenienced, and The Duke having to waste some keyboard energy, there's no harm, no foul.

Let's get back to the important things like Regional Brigade manning and new Russian MBTs....

I'll have you know that I was head and shoulders above my peers.

(The fact that they were both ocean going, gold plated, diamond encrusted incompetents of the highest order may have had an impact on the relative positions.)

But they could tab fast?!

ps - have you been reading my OJARs?

The_Duke

LE
But they could tab fast?!

No. Let's just say that when command of the composite company on exercise was allocated, it was always the same name against the "long night infiltration" and "night approach followed by dawn attack" serials.

Two successive OCs of one of the companies ended up "retiring" rather than face major AGAI or CM!

No. Let's just say that when command of the composite company on exercise was allocated, it was always the same name against the "long night infiltration" and "night approach followed by dawn attack" serials.

Two successive OCs of one of the companies ended up "retiring" rather than face major AGAI or CM!

Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you the Army Reserve!

The_Duke

LE
Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you the Army Reserve!
It was a very poor outcome from an experiment.

One of the downsides of 4 PARA in current form is that there is little potential for OCs to come across from other units unless they did arduous course and wings at some point earlier in their career. If lots of the "pure breed" officers leave before being ready to promote and pick up as OC, where do you get them from?

The "experiment" was to bring back people who had been out to pasture in regional brigades (or unposted) into OC slots on the basis that it was primarily a G1 job, with most of the training led by the regular training major and PSI team.

It was a catastrophic failure, and stamped on as soon as possible.

4PARAREG

Clanker
To further the comments stated:

There is a structured process of becoming an Officer in the Army Reserve. The following needs to be completed.

AOSB Briefing
AOSB Main Board

Commissioning Modules A B C D. 2 weeks respectively, 8 weeks in total.

There are effectively 2 ways to become an Officer in 4 PARA.

A) Do the above either as an 8 week block or as 2 week intervals. You will need to be hosted by a local OTC whilst you do this. When commissioned you will then transfer to 4 PARA - You'll still have to join the recruit cadre and then undertake CIC/P Coy as an officer (wearing a white T Shirt on P Coy).

B) Join as a Private Soldier, do the 11 weekends as a recruit and 2 weeks CIC/P Coy. Spend some time in the Battalion, decide if you want to commission. You will be expempted from Commissioning module A being a trained soldier.

You will then need to go to Brecon to complete AR Platoon Commanders Battle Course (2 Weeks) to be a fully trained AR Infantry Platoon Commander.

Please ask any questions.

Latest Threads