Officer in RMP? Advice needed please.

Discussion in 'Officers' started by PM-88, Jun 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would a career as an officer in the RMP be better than say one in the Infantry or RA?

I am told that the latter two (the ones I am most interested in joining) are slow on promotions and there are hardly any civilian qualifications gained.

On the other hand I am told that the RMP offer a good career, quick promotion and other various querks and attractions not found in the Combat Arms...what are peoples views of this?

Bare in mind that I am not set on joing a specific regiment, this is just a question of curiousity, all answers are welcome!

ps...yes the RMP info is from a biased source... :p
  2. Dont do it, if you get the chance to be an officer in the Inf or RA then do it.
  3. If you join the RMP then most of the army will hate you on principle.
    Most officers don't seem to know or care how their lads feel about them but personal choice at the end of the day
  4. In a word............. No

Although that depends on you career aspirations. If you want quick promotion to Capt, work with a good bunch of lads, then stab them in the back to further your own career, it might be for you.
    If you want to work with other like minded officers, want to man manage or want a career then I would go else where.
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

And a dishonest one too... typical monkeys! The answer is that promotion is pretty much uniform across the board up until the rank of Lt Col. If you have fulfilled the criteria and performed well enough, you get the promotion when you become eligible; if you don't, you don't. The difference is that there aren't that many opportunities to go beyond Lt Col in the RMP: you'll notice that CGS is an infanteer; it will never be an RMP officer.

As for professional qualifications, I doubt there are that many to be gained as a DE officer in the RMP that will stand you in good stead afterwards, even if you join the civilian police.

The bottom line is that it is perfectly possible to have an enjoyable and worthwhile career as a DE officer in the RMP, but it isn't a shortcut to quick promotion and it won't provide you with any more transferrable skills than any other part of the army.
  6. As said before no, The RA and Infantry, as well as RAC and other combat Arms are the Army while the RMP is much more of a none mainstream attachment and is seen as such by Officers and Other Ranks. As a regimental officer you will be part of a large organisation with an important history and role and the majority of your peers will be experts in their chosen profession.
    RMP officers are unique, to an extent, in that they know little or nothing of the role of their chosen Corps and due to its unique structure and culture they do not gain the leadership and managerial experience that other officers are exposed to.
    RMP also contains a large proportion ot LE Officers and others who transfer in at the rank of Capt and Major thus making the DE Officer a minority species.
    As a Corps the Officer structure is capped at Brigadier and there is only one of those. I do not know of any Corps officer who has achieved this Rank or higher outside the Corps.

No useful civilian qualifications to be gained specifically as a result of being in RMP. Not any that are of any real use. Promotion beyond Lt is going to be a bit of a lottery depending on how many transfer in that year or achieve LE Commissions. In my time a lot of Coy Cmdrs were retreads from elsewhere. Again, historically there used to be a 'surge' of promotions to Lt Col every ten years or so so if you had hung on long enough it was guaranteed not matter what your performance now I believe LEs may have buggered that little perk as well. After that a short handful of full colonels and one Brig. Do the maths.

Querks? Perks? Yes there are a few mainly getting a full nights sleep every night and the ability to freeload in the Cpls and Sgts Messes. A few good exchange posts, CP is good fun. Also you can nick a patrol car as your personal run around in most units.
  7. Also, if your ultimate aim is to join the Civ Police after leaving, the the RMP isnt advisable. The main reason is that you are taught an entirely different kind of policing as to what is required in CivDiv, and you obviously and naturally become set in your ways, and it upsets pople.
  8. Who told you that promotion in RMP is quicker than Inf and RA? Weird...and not true. Maybe in the ranks, but not as an Officer, as has been pointed out earlier.

Every Officer is now commissioned on Length of Time Served Commission basis - a certain amount of time to push before promotion to Major. If you are a graduate, you will be a Captain within 3 years of leaving Sandhurst.

As to "learning a trade", again this is predominantly an ORs sport - I don't know of any officer, in any Cap Badge that joined to get civvi quals - even REME and Engineers, who may pick up chartered status along the way.

Maybe think about why you want to join the Army as an Officer and that may help point you towards a Regiment (but go RA - they rock!).
  9. I'm not going to join to get civvy qualifications, I was just a bit curious about this new view of an RMP Officer that was shown to me ;)

Have my AOSB Briefing coming up in less than 2 weeks...any advice would be great!

Thanks for the replies,

10. I have some RMP *SHUDDER* friends, and they enjoy it, do different stuff, but are generally kept aloof from the rest of the army. They are also pretty much universally hated (no reason, just RMP).

I think you could get alot from RMP, but might miss out on the camerarderie of a "normal" mess.

As for AOSB, it's been a while since I did it, but be yourself, be confident (if you aren't normally) and don't forget that they WANT to pass you not fail. I thought I had stuffed my Pre-RCB, then did well on RCB.
  11. Not true. If you want to join CivPol after a period in the Army, you are certainly not considered before or after any other candidate, but that's down to fair employment for all, rather than any biased towards or against RMP.

That's irrelevant though, as RMP Officers in the main do not become involved in Police work. Not even the 'attached' GPD Bod who 'hangs out' with the SIB. They are there to learn.....very few do...even less are interested, until it comes to showing off that at the grand old age of 27yrs you're the OIC of an SIB Det (at which point the DET WO and SNCOs will declare you a tw*t for embarrassing the unit) . You won't get involved in much of the day to day investigations and those that you do become involved in (probably about 2 in your tenure), will be guided by your Det WO..who a few have chosen to ignore. Most of your job is junior management and admin, unless you opt to stay with the Pro Coy as 2IC. The idea behaind the SIB attachment is to allow you to take back some experience when your return to GPD, which is total balls, as you will more than likely have learned bugger all as you don't get involved in jobs and the management styles of both parts of the organisation are different.

There are quite a few disillusioned RMP Officers who bought into the advertising. As a Captain you are not the equivelant of the local Police Inspector (DI if you go to the Branch for the 2 year 'career break'). Some appear to be under this illusion.

I know a number who bailed out to be PC's in their local Force and haven't looked back. In fairness though, there are those who love it and do well out of it. Despite what is said though, there are some very decent people amongst RMP Officers. It's like any other organisation.

On the plus side, you're virtually guaranteed a commission in RMP as there isn't really much in the way of competition for posts, hence the recent (past few years) practice of commissioning as many Late Entry Officers as possible. The PM himself has been heard to say that as soon as he starts recruiting more Direct Entries, he'll stop the conveyor belt of LEs.

If you only intend upon doing the minium time before chasing something outside in civvy street, join RMP and enjoy your stay. If you want to make a career out of soldiering, try your hand at something else, but be advised that there will be stiff competition and your chances will be slimmer than that had you went RMP.

Ignore the 'everybody hates you and won't talk to you' crap that is piled out at the merest mention of RMP. Most have never had contact with RMP. Who gives a sh*te about what a 'transport manager' or a 'Warehouse Supervisor' thinks anyway?

Qualifications? There aren't really any 'qualifications' that you need for CivPol should it be your intention to join them after a stint in the RMP, (contrary to popular belief amongst some Army personnel). If you meet the required minimum education standard for the Police, that's enough to apply. There are no transferable qualifications that you can take either as you won't be doing anything in the way of 'police' type courses. As for the 'My Force don't take ex RMP' bollox.
  12. Some people do talk a lot of crap. As a serving RMP Officer, I can tell you that the responsibility I get is second to none. I have deployed on a variety of tours in the past few years carrying out roles that your usual infantry officer can only dream of.

In the Balkans, I processed, along with my platoon, some of the Balkan's worst war criminals and was the first point of contact for the Hague officials prior to sending the individuals to Holland for trial. At the age of 24, I was the lone RMP officer in theatre and, believe you me, when the s**t hits the fan, you're the one, alongside the ALS rep, briefing the Comd on how to conduct operations within the law and how to keep our guys out of trouble and out of the papers.

I have lots of Inf mates who I regularly keep in contact and they are, quite frankly, carrying out quite menial jobs and are leaving in their droves. They complain that they are given v little responsibility and are treated like children in some of the more tight-knit units. Lots of them are Regimental Signals Officer's (wow) or just leaving their Pl Comd positions, so it's no wonder they have had enough. Signals officers as well; what do they do all day? The ones I see either spend their time in their big sheds or are organising the next 'regimental fun day' or 'mess lunch'!!!

In terms of qualifications, you can gain good management qualifications via the SIB but, just like every other cap badge, you can use your learning credits to do a whole variety of courses (which I have done and my CV is looking v good as a result). CP is a big seller for RMP and lots of guys obviously do their time and earn good money on the outside. The private security sector is not my cup of tea, but at least they have used their time in the Forces wisely and are reaping the benefits. I would also suggest that by having completed Home Office approved courses (police courses) or working with the FCO (CP work) will both serve you better in Civvy St than the Platoon Comds Battle Cse!

I get to move locations every two years, so I have seen a lot of the world, both in terms of operations and postings. I am not stuck in Colchester or Catterick for the rest of my military career like some other guys are. I have never encountered any hostility in messes and, to be honest, we all take the mickey out of each other. We're all grown-ups and if you can't take a joke you shouldn't even be in the Army!

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the RMP and would rather leave than transfer to another regiment or cap badge. :D
  13. Managment qualifications via the SIB? Interesting. Which ones would they be then?
  14. There is a new qualification that you can achieve on completion of the L3IC (old Special Investigations Cse). Admittedly, it's only an NVQ or something like that but they all count I suppose!
  15. As far as I know, it is only Inf and Cav who DON'T move every 2 years. Most other Regts/Corps do so.

Go Gunners - You'll love it! (or go somewhere else - it's your choice!!).