Officer in 1Rifles

Discussion in 'Officers' started by John Philips, Mar 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I understand 1Rifles is attached to 3Commando Brigade. I was wondering in what role they operated, is it as a support group providing extra manpower or perhaps something else.

I would have thought it is a requirement to have completed the AACC, is this true?

Also in terms of competition for the Rifles, is it just the same as the other line infantry regiments?

and finally can you choose or at least ask to posted specifically to 1Rifles or does it operate in a similar way to the Parachute regiment, spending time with other battalions before being presented with the opportunities to join the 1Rifles.

Thank you for you time, all answers are appreciated.
  2. 1 Rifles operates in conjunction with 3 Commando Brigade. All members are required to have passed the AACC. After my interview with the Rifles I learned that competition is proportionately much the same as other Infantry Regiments. In terms of choosing 1 Rifles, I am led to believe that each Officer places 3 preferences down on completion of Sandhurst and from that places are catered for.

Hope this helps,

3. No, all members are not required to have passed the AACC, at present few members of the Bn have. It is encouraged for those wishing to give it a crack.

1 Rifles are an additional manoeuvre unit to 3 Brigade and as such do similar jobs to a regular Commando. Some may disagree, but as they are an Army unit within an RM organisation they tend to get less crunchy jobs because they are not a Commando unit.

You get two options of choice at RMAS (unless you're going AAC and haven't completed flight grading prior to entry).

You commission into the Rifles Regiment and then state a preference for Bn, but you will go where required.
  4. The RIFLES have quite a good scheme for moving their Officers and Riflemen around - basically before you get to ICSC(L) they want you to experience at least 2 of the roles the RIFLES undertake. From speaking to a couple of RIFLES Officers there is a bit of an internal bidding system for YOs straight out of RMAS, but that may be scuttlebutt from the blokes I've spoken to.

I've posted before on the RIFLES attitude to the AACC, but basically they're fairly underwhelmed by it all. I would suggest that the backgrounds of several of their recent COs would indicate why.....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. A bit off topic, but how much of the smartness (class wise) of the Royal Green Jackets has been retained in the amalgamation.
  6. Going back 2, 3 or 4 decades this "smartness (classwise)" was a myth perpetuated by those in the RGJ who had no "smartness" but wanted to pretend they did - in terms of the 'old days', those who went to a grammar school or, even worse, a very minor public school, and wanted to give the impression they'd been to one of the big ones.

Looking at your posts you seem obsessed in every one with asking about which regiments still recruit their officers primarily from public schools and about going to one where you will be appreciated because of that. You won't.

I am interested in the RGR and am in my final year at a public school, as a rule of thumb are the majority of the officers mess public school or state educated?

How smart is the Black Watch (how posh are the officers). I know that they used to be as smart as the brigade of guards, is this still the case?

In comparison to the Black Watch, I have heard that the RHF (2 SCOTS) are also a very smart regiment, is this actually the case or have the amalgamations made it invalid?

I've heard the vast majority of the Coldstream mess are either Etonians or Shirburnians.

Looking at Blues and Royals at the moment, are they all from Eton or Ampleforth, or do they also get some from a couple of "line public schools" ,...

What you learnt at your school, both academically and in terms of character and confidence, will of course make a difference to how you will be accepted and how you perform, but the days when the 'old school tie' could make you accepted and open doors without anything to back it up are long gone. No-one cares if your school plays at Lord's every year - and your school, unlike my alma mater, clearly doesn't.

If you have to ask (and you evidently do, repeatedly) you clearly don't go to the right school and don't have the right sort of friends or you would already know.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  7. Not sure whether that piece of condescension deserves a like or SAB / Bullshit @John G
  8. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Ah hell, I'll give it a like
    • Like Like x 1
  9. In the Army I was only ever asked once where I went to school.

Everyone else either didn't know and didn't care (the vast majority), knew but didn't care (a fair number) or knew but didn't want to admit going to somewhere rather more downmarket (a few). The only exception was 'Fat Bob' (then LOBG, later my CO) who wanted to show off that he went to some minor public school which I can't recall.

If its something you need to make a point of, the Army was the wrong place 20, 30 or 40 years ago and I'm sure its the wrong place now. The very few people I can recall thinking it was important, for whatever reason, always ended up looking absolute prats
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I went to a local school. School dinner was a walk down to the chippy. Spent most of my time trying to finger bang or nail chicks at weekends and finding someone to buy us a booze carry out from the corner shop.

Some people didn't even think I had been to school when I joined the Army. Was good with a bergan on my back though, and could smash out a decent run after a night on the lash.

For what it's worth, my brother went to the same school, but he actually stuck in and did alright. Went on to join up and is now an officer in a decent Inf Bn. I don't think it makes much difference what school you go to, probably counts more on what you do and how you carry yourself in your time at Sandhurst and afterwards maybe.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Agree with all your sentiments, but I can't help thinking that in all fairness there are no good or bad inf bns - just ones that go through good and bad patches, largely dependent on COs and RSMs.

Infantry choice for officers is usually down to friends or family connections followed by local regiments, with Guards for those who want to be near London or who have a penchant for public duties, and Gurkhas for those who want to feel "sah'b like" and don't mind a very quiet mess and half your time in Brunei spent playing volleyball.

If @The Gruffalo is purely interested in finding a "posh" regiment I think he needs to have a major re-think about if the Army's for him in the 21st century.
  12. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

I was quite often asked if I had indeed been to school. Any school. My parentage seemed to have been in doubt also.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1