Officer Fitness

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by LankySpud, Apr 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening, just finished my online app for Officer, and I have a few queries. I know this may have been covered a few times, but I'll ask regardless.

I'm hoping to go Para Reg, and I was wondering what run times would set me in good stead. I'm already pretty fit, my 1.5 mile time is 9.20- 9.30, and my 10k time is around 44 minutes. My strength stats are good, so I'm not concerned about that.

Can anyone give me any feedback on what times I should be aiming for to give me the best possible chance of making the Paras? I've already got my sights set on a 9mins or less for the 1.5 mile, but I'm unsure of how good my longer distance times need to be?

2. Use the stickies and search.

3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

9.30 for 1.5 miles is scraping through. You should be training for 8.30 and you will need to build a strong core for load carrying; and develop your agility and upper body strength so that you can get round challenging obstacle courses quickly. Don't worry too much now about the longer distance stuff: the first thing you need to do is get on their radar.

4. I don't know specifically for Para Regt officers but 9:30 is nothing special at sandhurst. It will get you to the middle third phys wise I would say, and not the top of it.

The one guy who went Paras in my platoon ran approx 7:45 to put it into perspective.

5. If only someone could suggest a fitness guide that would help... ;-)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. I'm fairly confident I could make the 8.30 region in a month or two, I haven't really been training specifically for a quick 1.5 miles. Are you expected to be top third at Sandhurst to make Paras?

7. Definately - when you are on Pcoy they will be looking for you to lead and encourage others not just complete each phase

8. Officers are there to lead which means you are at the front. If you are setting yourself the benchmark of top third as quoted then this won't cut the mustard. You need to be aiming to be at the front and when you get over the finish line, turning around and legging it back for those at the rear. If you achieve your goal and I hope you do, the top third as a standard on a platoon phyz session would see a section of your platoon getting in before you. Toms expect to be lead and you cant lead from behind. As an officer you should be at the front, as an infantry officer even more so, and as Para Reg the personal standards should be even higher. Phyz wise, lots of interval training, hill reps, and long steady fat burners will steer you in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy. Civvies pay to do that.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

9. Absolutely, Officers that don't show leadership when on P Coy are given the big RTU! & there's plenty of RTUing on every course!

10. Out of curiosity, a 2Lt straight out of Sandhusrt, who got Para sponsorship to RMAS (I assume its the same system as it used to be 30 odd years ago, where you had to get a Regt/Corp to recomend you to RCB) if he fails P Coy, where does he get RTU's to? I mean its not like he has another Unit to go to???

11. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If he fails P Coy twice then he has to apply for transfer to another Regiment or Corps. I think things are a bit more forgiving if they fail due to injury, but I know (and know of) a few people who have ended up in places they didn't really want to be as a result of coming off P Coy.

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

He'll get another crack at P Coy, then starts looking around for another unit in need of a 2Lt.

Edit: beaten to it!

13. 9:30 would not get you middle third at RMAS, most platoons are alot quicker than that. you would probably be bottom third, if not the slowest in the platoon.

14. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Thats not quite true, but you're right that he isn't particularly quick. Most platoons will have at least a handful of guys in the 300 club, with most under 9 minutes. There are always a few kicking around the 10 minute mark or worse though.

15. I think it's dependent. A cadet form my coy didn't pass P Coy through a combination of failing and then injury and he ended up in the rifles. I also know a Royal Artillery Officer who came from the Paras having failed P coy. I think he eventfully passed and joined 7 RHA