Officer Eyesight, AOSB and RMAS

Hi I have just had the thought that my eyesight may but slightly outside the requirments for officer entry. What I was wondering is this:

If I pass the AOSB Main but then fail the medical due to my eyesight, will I still have a pass at the AOSB which will be valid if I choose the get my eyes lasered? So I would be put on the RMAS waiting list after the 12 month check up, or would I have to retake the AOSB?

Cheers,

J.

As far as I'm aware it wouldn't be possible since the outside limit for pre-laser eye surgery (+-6.0) is inside the limit for acceptance anyway (+-7.0).

rjv1 said:
As far as I'm aware it wouldn't be possible since the outside limit for pre-laser eye surgery (+-6.0) is inside the limit for acceptance anyway (+-7.0).
I am not so sure about that though as I am fairly sure a clinic told me the limit was +/-8 I might be wrong though and there are many types of surgery so not sure.

I just found out that I am S3 for the Navy which is up to +/-6 so I think I should be ok, but my bloody opticial seems to be a bit daft so I am going to go to another one for a re-test. I want to avoid being totally emotionally destroyed by passing AOSB then being told "sorry bat boy your eyes are so shiite you couldnt shoot the broadside of a barn if we pointed you in the right direction"...

Fingers crossed but I think I am ok.

J.

If you are failed medically but can then get within the medical standards the AOSB will remain valid for up to 7 years currently, AOSB briefing is five.

The eyes don't make the potential officer, the big grey slushy bit behind it can.

Had a few medical fails that have since passed the standard and thier passes remain valid

JayCam said:
rjv1 said:
I'm basing it on the fact that a lad on my main board was waiting on a report from his optician to confirm that he was under +7.0. Suggest you phone AOSB for a definitive answer.

rjv1 said:
JayCam said:
rjv1 said:
I'm basing it on the fact that a lad on my main board was waiting on a report from his optician to confirm that he was under +7.0. Suggest you phone AOSB for a definitive answer.
I gave them a call this morning, and they dont have a clue lol. I think I am within the limits though.. pain in the ass optician.

J.

If youve started the application process the Army will send you a form for your optician to fill in. Just make sure someone who looks reasonably qualified is doing it when you bring them the form :)
Be warned its not quite as clear cut as +/- prescription as astignatism is taken into account which can raise the sum a little!

Negativvv said:
If youve started the application process the Army will send you a form for your optician to fill in. Just make sure someone who looks reasonably qualified is doing it when you bring them the form :)
Be warned its not quite as clear cut as +/- prescription as astignatism is taken into account which can raise the sum a little!
lol dammit another thing to think about. I have a slight astigmatism, but don;'t think itll be a problem. Will just have to wait and see!

J.