Officer Eyesight, AOSB and RMAS

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayCam, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I have just had the thought that my eyesight may but slightly outside the requirments for officer entry. What I was wondering is this:

If I pass the AOSB Main but then fail the medical due to my eyesight, will I still have a pass at the AOSB which will be valid if I choose the get my eyes lasered? So I would be put on the RMAS waiting list after the 12 month check up, or would I have to retake the AOSB?

2. As far as I'm aware it wouldn't be possible since the outside limit for pre-laser eye surgery (+-6.0) is inside the limit for acceptance anyway (+-7.0).
  3. I am not so sure about that though as I am fairly sure a clinic told me the limit was +/-8 I might be wrong though and there are many types of surgery so not sure.

I just found out that I am S3 for the Navy which is up to +/-6 so I think I should be ok, but my bloody opticial seems to be a bit daft so I am going to go to another one for a re-test. I want to avoid being totally emotionally destroyed by passing AOSB then being told "sorry bat boy your eyes are so shiite you couldnt shoot the broadside of a barn if we pointed you in the right direction"...

Fingers crossed but I think I am ok.

4. If you are failed medically but can then get within the medical standards the AOSB will remain valid for up to 7 years currently, AOSB briefing is five.

The eyes don't make the potential officer, the big grey slushy bit behind it can.

Had a few medical fails that have since passed the standard and thier passes remain valid

5. I'm basing it on the fact that a lad on my main board was waiting on a report from his optician to confirm that he was under +7.0. Suggest you phone AOSB for a definitive answer.
  6. I gave them a call this morning, and they dont have a clue lol. I think I am within the limits though.. pain in the ass optician.

7. If youve started the application process the Army will send you a form for your optician to fill in. Just make sure someone who looks reasonably qualified is doing it when you bring them the form :)
    Be warned its not quite as clear cut as +/- prescription as astignatism is taken into account which can raise the sum a little!
  8. lol dammit another thing to think about. I have a slight astigmatism, but don;'t think itll be a problem. Will just have to wait and see!