Officer entry with criminal conviction

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by aosb_hopeful, Oct 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon everyone.

I am worried about my officer entry and cannot find the information I need online.

I have a conviction from 2007 for theft. I paid a fine at the time and was not arrested, taken to the police station and did not go to court or anything similar as a result.
    However I am worried that this will mean I will not be able to join as an Officer. This is something I really want to do and the theft was a silly mistake I made over 3 years ago.

Could someone let me know realistically what is likely to happen with this?

Thank you
  2. Is the conviction spent?

3. Realistically ?

You're going to get flamed in 3,2,1......................
  4. Just checked Your rights - homepage and I'm not sure which conviction it refers to. However I would suspect not.

(Most) fines - 5 years*

However the site also says -

Cautions, Warnings and Reprimands - Spent as soon as they are issued

Unfortunately I am not sure which one it would refer to.
  5. Go on, tell us; what did you steal?
  6. Hopeful - you are going to have to be a bit more straightforward if you want informed advice. If you were not arrested, taken to a court or to a police station how did you end up with a fine for theft?

It may be that you don't actually have a record, that the fine option was to let you avoid all that.

Did it involve bilking a train fare, or are you still on the run?
  7. How on earth did you get a fine for theft, without going to court???

Either you have a criminal conviction (in which case you will have attended court, and most likely have been arrested and gone to the police station at some stage), or you don't.

There is no fixed penalty for theft.

Unless you tell us the truth, we cant help!

Failing that, you're too stupid to understand what happened, and therefore should not consider joining as an officer.
  8. Uh Oh!

We've got one here!

Have you ever wondered what happens to thieves in the Army when they're caught but the blokes!

Have you perhaps, ever thought about joining the Salvation Army. You'd get more sympathy there!
  9. It was a set of allen keys from B&Q. A police officer came to the store and I believe the fine was instead of going to court, basically admitting guilt there and then. I have checked my record on the PNC and it is on there as theft. I can't give any further details on exactly what is on the PNC as the information I received was sent of to the Defence Vetting Agency as part of my SC application.

10. Needless to say I have learned my lesson from what was a silly mistake. I have since moved on from this part of my life and feel I now have the integrity necessary to be an officer. Back then I didn't but I learned the hard way.
  11. There's no such thing as a spot fine for theft, you have to go to court to be weighed off. This is to stop your friendly neighbourhood plod from giving you a ten bob fine for murder, plus you are innocent until proved guilty. You aren't very forthcoming with the circumstances so, based on what you say I doubt any military arm would consider you as an officer. And I think you'll find it about nine years to be spent, but excepted in your case as you want to go into the miitary. Might get in as PFI and work your way up.=|
  12. I thought I had been forthcoming in a previous post. I explained that I believe the fine was in lieu of going to court. I have told you all I know about the incident, and that I have confirmed it is on my record.
  13. msr

msr LE

Best you go along to your local AFCO and ask.

14. Thank you, will pop down when I get chance.
  15. My kind of Officer. If they understand what's going on they start 'thinking' and making 'recommendations' or worse 'orders' on how they want things to procede.