Officer Entry - Sleeve Tattoos

"Excessive in size" is a full sleeve. "May be a bar to entry" MAY BE a bar to entry. Let's bracket this now. 99.9% of people on this site don't have the first faintest idea, apart from their own expert opinion. Go to the Careers Office and ask

Son No 1 Mk 1 was stupid enough to get full "sleeve" on both arms, which, BTW, look like s*** as the details have all bled together and the individual designs are not visible/recognisable. He was a serving Crab ranker who then picked up a Commission with the RAF Regt so it is possible. However, the shame of having a f****** Crab in the family will stay with me to the grave.

Its like a German girl I once knew who was advised to take the Pill to prevent her getting pregnant.......She used to stick them in her fanny and wondered why they didn't work.
Any fule kno it was to be grasped firmly between her knees.

Son No 1 Mk 1 was stupid enough to get full "sleeve" on both arms, which, BTW, look like s*** as the details have all bled together and the individual designs are not visible/recognisable. He was a serving Crab ranker who then picked up a Commission with the RAF Regt so it is possible. However, the shame of having a f****** Crab in the family will stay with me to the grave.
My Uncle is a convicted paedophile, and while it's not the sort of thing to discuss in polite company, it draws attention away from the fact he was in the RAF Regt.

It's probably me being naive, but I'd like to think that officers during the recruitment process & throughout an army career would care more about a persons potential to lead or how good of an officer they are rather than if they had tattoos (assuming the tattoos are excessive or inappropriate), and that if they are a good officer then it would not have an impact on their career. I completely accept that having tattoos does have a certain stigma with some folk, and it will hold you back in some respects based on the fact you have tattoos alone. But I'm pretty certain soldiers wouldn't respect their officer any less...or am I wrong? I will find out anyway very soon (although I don't have a sleeve!)

It's probably me being naive, but I'd like to think that officers during the recruitment process & throughout an army career would care more about a persons potential to lead or how good of an officer they are rather than if they had tattoos (assuming the tattoos are excessive or inappropriate), and that if they are a good officer then it would not have an impact on their career. I completely accept that having tattoos does have a certain stigma with some folk, and it will hold you back in some respects based on the fact you have tattoos alone. But I'm pretty certain soldiers wouldn't respect their officer any less...or am I wrong? I will find out anyway very soon (although I don't have a sleeve!)
You are absolutely right - you are being naive.

Rightly or wrongly, large visible tattoos bear a stigma for Officers.

Whether you get one or not is entirely your call.

Wrongly I'd argue. Personally I wouldn't care less whether any of my officers had tattoos, I'd care whether they were good leaders who put the needs of others before theirs, who were competent in their role. However, i agree that wouldn't be the reality. Shame though. It's a good job I'm not looking at Guards regiments...

Wrongly I'd argue. Personally I wouldn't care less whether any of my officers had tattoos, I'd care whether they were good leaders who put the needs of others before theirs, who were competent in their role. However, i agree that wouldn't be the reality. Shame though. It's a good job I'm not looking at Guards regiments...
Vanity :)