Officer Entry - Sleeve Tattoos

Good afternoon,

I have just a quick question - what is the likelihood of getting through AOSB, or even getting consideration for entry as an Officer if I have a sleeve tattoo?

Thanks

Good afternoon,

I have just a quick question - what is the likelihood of getting through AOSB, or even getting consideration for entry as an Officer if I have a sleeve tattoo?

Thanks
Seek and ye shall find: Tattos | Army Rumour Service

3.12 Tattoos

Any tattoos that are offensive, obscene or excessive in size or number may be a bar to entry or re-entry. Tattoos which are visible on the head, neck and hand may be a bar to entry depending on their size and nature. If you have tattoos you may be asked to complete a form describing them. The tattoos will be seen during your medical examination.

@Mugatu

Why have a tattoo on your sleeve when most people have one on the arm! As far as I know there is no bar to actually having the tattoo on your clothing:rolleyes:...........

Why have a tattoo on your sleeve when most people have one on the arm! As far as I know there is no bar to actually having the tattoo on your clothing:rolleyes:...........
And we all know how that ended up.....

And we all know how that ended up.....

Its like a German girl I once knew who was advised to take the Pill to prevent her getting pregnant.......She used to stick them in her fanny and wondered why they didn't work. Mind you she worked as a cleaner in the cookhouse and I think she was a bit mentally retarded!

Its like a German girl I once knew who was advised to take the Pill to prevent her getting pregnant.......She used to stick them in her fanny and wondered why they didn't work. Mind you she worked as a cleaner in the cookhouse and I think she was a bit mentally retarded!
Shouldn't that be in the Menckal Birds thread?

Good afternoon,

Thanks

Probably won't dramatically effect your chances at AOSB, as tattoos are (rightly or wrongly) rapidly becoming the social norm. However, clearly if they are deemed to be excessive or offensive (perhaps a somewhat subjective assessment), you could be turned away in theory. You may well be asked why you have decided to get a tattoo sleeve. If your answer calls into question your judgement (e.g. "I got pissed one night, made a mistake and now I have to live with the consequences") this might call your suitability to be an Army officer into question.

I suspect that a tattoo sleeve may rule you out of joining some regiments, but then again, as long as you can justify why you have chosen to get one this may also not be the case.

My personal view (for what it's worth), is that tattoos (particularly large and obvious ones) are not really an officer thing. For anyone hoping to be an officer and considering getting tattoos, I would suggest you join first and then decide if you really want them, many people's views on these things change once they are in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good afternoon,

Thanks
You might get some odd looks from the lads in phys order and there would certainly be raised eyebrows from Very Senior and Very Stuff officers, but I don't think it's an AOSB deal breaker, unless it's, you know, graphic depictions of male sodomy with tasteful swastikas, portraits of the Prophet (PBUH), Daesh slogans in the original Arabic and a fluffy pink kitten. Generally, the Army doesn't care for kittens.

cpunk

LE
Tattoos aren't 'assessed' at AOSB, although they may be drawn to the attention of the CofC in rare instances. Personally I don't like them, but there we are.

Never seen an Army Officer with a sleeve... Despite the equality talk the Army like to talk, they don't always truly walk the walk and, consequently, I can't see a sleeve going down well for an Officer applicant.

There are a fair few RN Officers with sleeve tattoos. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking for a Service career, rather than heartset on a particular regiment or Corps.

cpunk

LE
The army is a genuinely equal opportunities employer. I don't think a sleeve tattoo would necessarily bar someone from becoming an army officer. Personally I think they're gross, but there we go.

Never seen an Army Officer with a sleeve... Despite the equality talk the Army like to talk, they don't always truly walk the walk and, consequently, I can't see a sleeve going down well for an Officer applicant.
There's a fair few with a half sleeve. Full sleeves are rarer, but I've seen a couple.

I recently saw a freshly minted 2Lt (not RAC) with full tattoo sleeves on both arms, so they are out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tattoos are nothing to do with equality. If you decide to crayon all over yourself, then you only have yourself to blame when you can't work in certain careers. Would you employ someone with a cobweb on his face as a waiter in a Michelin starred restaraunt? Same applies to other tattoos.

Clearly if you are outstanding, then people will tolerate your tats and take you on anyway, but I would hazard a guess that tats don't help your career as an Officer.

Tattoos are nothing to do with equality. If you decide to crayon all over yourself, then you only have yourself to blame when you can't work in certain careers. Would you employ someone with a cobweb on his face as a waiter in a Michelin starred restaraunt? Same applies to other tattoos.

Clearly if you are outstanding, then people will tolerate your tats and take you on anyway, but I would hazard a guess that tats don't help your career as an Officer.
They are sometimes handy as camouflage though, as @CivvyLurker will tell you.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Months ago, why reply now?