Officer Entry at a Young Age.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by marshy98, May 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, hoping someone can help me regarding a question about age and experience for Officer Entry.

I'm 19, have the necessary grades (A Levels and GCSE's - most of which are A's,B's) for entry into some of the officer roles I have been looking at. I attended Marine Cadets from a young age, reaching the highest rank in less than 2 years (gained some good qualifications and taught others) and having the luck to be section commander for my unit at a national competition, without sounding too arrogant; I like to think this shows I have leader potential.

However I dont particularly look old, and am quite skinny. Im fit enough and I have all the requirements to enter, but the thought of me commanding older men seems strange, this would soon pass (In a couple of years), but I mean are there lots of officers around the 19 - 20 mark? I know this is odd, but im generally curious about whether this will make a difference? Will the examiners on the AOSB look into this as much as I am, or just judge me purely on how well I do on the board.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated,

2. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

I went to RMAS at 19 and commisioned 9 days after my 20th birthday. That said, I was a pretty crap YO and, looking back, I wish I had gone to Uni and come in in my early 20s.
  3. This question is often raised in so many words on this site. Most answers always suggest going to University. This way you can develop your confidence, increase your life experience and have a more mature outlook on current affairs and various other things within society. This is the advice I was given and thus am at University, I would suggest this is what you do.

If your questioning whether or not it is the right time to apply, then it probably isn't. Join the OTC at University and this will help your application (whilst also being a bundle of laughs).
  4. You are quite short too and obviously smoked and self-abused your way through SMC?

5. Thanks for your reply. I have been to University this year, and to be honest for various I just didn't really like my course, and decided to leave. Nothing degree wise really interests me to the extent I want to get into debt for it, especially when ive already got 9 grand that has amounted for nothing.

Leadership, confidence and maturity wise I know I'm ready, its just a case of older soldiers taking me seriously because I'm young, and dont have the advantage of looking older.
  6. I'm in the same situation kind if but I'm only 14, plus want to get my fitness levels higher than they already are and would like some tips on what to do ?
    A reply would be very much appreciated
  7. I was only 19 (and a half - he he) when I was commissioned - and have always felt that that was too young, not only to have been commissioned, but to have been at Sandbags at all. I found it particularly tough as I had no military previous experience (with the cadets for example).

You have had some experience with the cadets, so I'm sure Sandhurst won't be such a shock for you as it was for me - and these things are individual, so how you will settle in as a YO is really up to you, and your level of maturity.

I made a complete balls of things to start with - I was very immature, and my mind was all over the place. I have often thought that it would have been much easier if I had done uni first, or had some time previous time in the TA. Whatever.

You are very wise to consider these things seriously.
  8. Thanks For the advice, and what regiment did u join ? Is it possible to become a sniper if your an officer ? Yeh I really enjoy the cadets and hope to be promoted even though I've been doing it less than a year.

9. nnnnnnnnnggh
  10. After taking everyone's advice into consideration, I've decided to attend University again, this time doing a different more enjoyable course. Also plan on joining the TA in the meantime, infantry. Nearest one is parachute regiment, better get cracking with the fitness! :D
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Smart idea. I did the uni and OTC route and was commanding a Platoon at 20. But in those days (1979) most were joining their Bns at that age and most, in the teeth arms, were not graduates. These days most YOs are graduates and more like 23 on joining.

Your age doesn't really matter, though, you'll still be a red arse for a year or so, though current ops mean they grow up very quickly.
  12. Well said.
    I remember one young Subbie who was told in no uncertain terms, not to venture anywhere near the Beast Park until he was invited, he did as he was told - watched, listened and learnt and turned out to be the best Troopy we ever had, mind you,. this was the Bleeps.

Bit different up the sharp end, I would think.
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I do think that expectations have changed a lot in the last twenty years or so. I commissioned as a graduate and had my 23rd birthday on ops commanding a platoon in South Armagh (back in the mid 80s - aaargh!), at which point I think I was the fourth oldest in my platoon. There were only three other graduate subbies in the battalion at that time and the expectation was that most non-grads would turn up at the battalion around the age of 20. Nowadays, it seems to me that soldiers expect their officers to be a little bit older, if not necessarily wiser, and would look slightly askance at some fresh faced kid turning up to lead them barely a year out of school.
  14. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

All true, except that I (and a few other non-grads) did the SGC (part of an experiment to see if we mere mortals could keep up with the intellectual elite). It was funny being one of the youngest in Ypres Coy by some margin. And short is fine, could be worse, could be a Gunner!
  15. Touche m'sieur!