Officer entry A-Levels.

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Dammj, Jun 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone

Before anyone says anything i have looked at the army's website and looked through the forum for my answer.

This is my situation:

I'm 16 and i was half way through the application to join the Signals as a CSE. But i stopped and got a place at college doing A Levels. And hopefully i want to be an Officer in the Signals or the Royal Anglian regiment.

I know there are no specific A levels but is there any that would give that little bit extra to help me once in the army.

The A levels i have down at the moment are:

- Combined English Language and Literature
    - Maths
    - ICT
    - Business Studies

2. Signals, you'll need a relevant degree. To get that, a university may want to see Physics in there but its a long, long time since I was filling out my UCCA form (yes, I do know, it is UCAS now.)
  3. IDRach, are you sure of that? I have friends in the R SIGNALS who have degrees in a wide range of subjects, from chemistry to sport science - not one of them with anything to do with telecomms. I was offered a place with a degree in Criminal Justice.

4. Telecoms isn't necessarily all that is relevant. However, I note from the MOD website they seem to have relaxed the overt standards (mea culpa):

So it doesn't matter that you haven't got a clue what is going on (that's what your Yeoman is for) - as long as you can play rugby and have a Ocean Skipper's ticket - I think that's what HQ means by "strength of character" :).
  5. My recruiter said that you didn't have to have a degree
  6. My advice would be to go and see an ACA. You can ask all of the questions you may have, and get the motion rolling, regarding possible regiments to visit.

A part from the obvious, (getting physically fit), it’s a good idea to read about the British Army’s history, read current affairs and get involved in team sports.

It may sound great to apply to join immediately after completing A-levels, but it may prove advantageous to consider university. Graduates get higher pay, faster promotion, better opportunities (in and after the Army).

Good luck.
  7. He's accurate (but not necessarily 'right'.) I was wrong.
  8. My recruiter said that you didn't have to have a degree
  9. Interesting viewpoint. So you think to be an effective Officer in the Royal Corps of Signals you should have a degree (or at least a relevant degree)?
  10. Spend a year at RMAS, come in the bottom third and it's pretty much guaranteed!
  11. From my experience going through the application process myself right now, I would first say I would highly advise you to get a degree after A levels, I have repeatedly spoken to people of many ranks who categorically say people who have gone to university get into positions easier and get promoted faster (provided they are not an utter idiot of course) and you are very unlikely to be sent away from briefing for 12months to gain "life experience" if you have a degree.

Your degree or A levels really do not matter, the reason why you took them is the most important and getting good scores comes second. Worst case scenario I can see happening is you take courses you do not actually like or have a passion for and you either score poorly or even worse you drop out and have to start again.

I hold a degree is what is basically Ancient History, and both my ACA and two Lt.Cols I have met, have all been complimentary on taking something outside the box and not simply taking the standard boiler plate because everyone else is, or that it would be more "fitting" for a particular regiment. You will be taught everything you need to know at some point in your training, you dont go into RMAS knowing how to do everything or there simply wouldn't be a RMAS.

Pick courses you can do well in and that you enjoy, if you are falling asleep in class switch to something else immediately, you need to be interested in what you are taking if you are going to make some good scores to get into a good university, because I assure you they do take notice of how well or badly your university is ranked.

Also keep in mind Officers are supposed to be able to think for themselves, been told what A levels to take is not very independent thinking, make some choices and stand by those decisions, that seems the right path to becoming an officer if you ask me.
  12. What you need to do is look really, really deep down inside yourself and ask yourself the searching question....

"Am I jack enough to join the Signals?"

If yes, your degree can be in anything, a jack friend of mine got in with a degree in French.
  13. Lets knock this one on the head nice aned sharpish.

A minimum of 2 x A Levels is required to join the Army as an Officer from the outset, this does not apply if joining from the ranks.

Largely, those 2 x A Levels are irrelevant but for your sake you should be making them fairly mainstream, I.e no A Levels in David Beckham or any other such shoite.

If you join as a Non Grad Officer with only the bare minimum 2 x A Levels then you will take 5 years to promote to the rank of Captain, a graduate takes only 2.5 years from the day of commission to reach that 'dizzy height'. You are effectively paid back for your extended education in seniority. Clearly the promotions, either over 2.5 or 5 years are dependent on you not being a clown.

As for the R Signals and a relevant degree, you absolutely do NOT need a degree in Telecomunications, or even a degree at all. As ever, if you have a degree applicable to your day to day work then you will find things easier.... subject to you not being a clown of course.

If you want my personal opinion, finish your A Levels, go to a decent Uni and get a solid degree, by all means approach the Army and apply to be a bursar etc. Without wanting to sound patronising, at 16 you will have almost zero experience of anything outside of fulltime education and you will likely struggle at a commissioning board because of this. By all means join as a soldier but I would advise doing Uni first regardless.
  14. What he said ^ ^.