Officer duties

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Livvo, Dec 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just started the recruitment process, and have my second interview shortly. Obviously I can guess an officer's role on operations, but what are the main day to day duties of an officer in an infantry regiment (hopefully the paras)? General information about an officer's daily life would be very appreciated.
  2. Rise at nine. Long leisurely breakfast followed by servant thrashing. Wander down to the lines and check the contents of the troops' socks. Lunch, then polo. After the latter, motor down to London for oysters and tarts. Unless you are RLC...
  3. You forgot ******* the troops about as in: "Sarn't Major!! **** the troops about!" "Sah......(five minutes pause) Troops fucked about, Sah!!"
  4. Argh, the cynicism nowadays...!

To the original poster: Don't be put off by the banter. What you will get up to in barracks as a junior officer depends on the regiment, where abouts you are in the training cycle and how naughty the boys have been.

Nowadays the army is so busy that you will spend much of your time training your soldiers or at least with them much of the time. This ranges from class room lessons, physical training, range training, etc to overseas exercised to prepare you for your next operational tour. As alluded to above, inevitably there will also be those 'vital' but irritating tasks which you will be given, normally at the last minute. These might range from providing an enemy force for someone else's exercise to counting the mess silver and repainting the curb stones round the guard room in preparation for a high profile visit.

You will also spend a lot of time writing reports on your soldiers and potentially appearing in court trying to persuade the beak that despite the latest fit of alcohol induced hiatus, Pte Nugget really is an excellent bloke who is singlehandedly responsible for the UK's security and therefore shouldn't be jailed or too heavily fined.

In many ways life in barracks can be as challenging (albeit in a very different way) as on operations.

I would suggest you go on a potential officer visit or two to see for yourself.

Gazing into the crystal ball, you may find that if you go PARA you find that you spend a lot of time sitting in barracks at short notice to move with your kit packed but not doing a great deal. This is because 16 Bde (in which two of the PARA Bns fall) are due to go back to being the high readiness force elements (to be deployed in the event of a sudden emergency). This means that they are likely to be removed from the Afghanistan plot (in theory!). That said don't let me or anyone else put you off any particular regiment, go along yourself and see.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

As a YO you will be

a: reporting events from previous day's Orderly Officer and

b: preparing for the next day's Orderly Officer.

6. Suddick, dont go giving the kid a bum steer.

dont worry Livvo, you dont have to get up at 9am. someone usually brings you breakfast in bed. 10am is the proper time for a young officer to appear before his platoon.
  7. So, sort of like a cross between being team coach, team captain and general do-stuff wallah, if I've got this right? Very useful advice, been looking for similar for AGES but the propaganda doesn't seem to be aimed at people who want to know what they're actually going in for
  8. You will be responsible for getting the lads to and from the pub, providing a shoulder to cry on and occasionally taking them breakfast in bed.
  9. Damn, I thought the officer-soldier roles were reversed in that picture. Best reconsider my application...
  10. With respect and congratulations for your intentions, I would humbly suggest you spend more time thinking about (and I mean actually contemplating without benefit of Ipod, telly etc.) who you are in terms of your values and self image instead of what a given day may involve as they will vary but you cannot. A good officer, especially one in the combat arms needs to be self-less. This means you must be secure in who you are, your values, your abilities etc. so that you are then focused on the mission first and then second on your troops. Your own needs (creature comforts, career progression etc.) MUST come after all the other things and if you are doing them right, you will have precious little time for even worrying about such things as what an average day will be like to you.

Be humble as to what you do not know, be willing to learn from others, and especially those of lesser rank, and always remember that lives will depend on what you learn and who you are. Being an officer is no less than being a trustee of the lives of those you are privileged to lead and as such you have a fiduciary duty (the highest known in our law) to them second only to mission accomplishment.
  11. Yes, those damned stones really must be stopped.
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

A few surprises that came my way in the Navy ..

Being told after dinner that I was to be Prisoner's Friend at 0900 next day at the Court Martial of a man charged with six counts of robbery with violence

Appearing in Mabgistrates' Court for a man charged with touching the Chinese lodger of his Chinese ex-wife on what was tastefully translated from Cantonese as 'the place where she give birth'

Trying to explain to a man who had abducted his girlfriend's baby and taken it to Glasgow for his (astonished) grandparents to bring up, that it couldn't be his as he was in Detention Quarters at the time of conception

Having to break it to a rating that his child had died, too late for him to catch any trains that night

Trying not to know which sailors had 'borrowed' a JCB to get themselves back from leave

Guard of Honour for the King of Thailand

Diving into a swimming pool and landing on an admiral

It's a guinea a minute even without a war but one has to stay flexible.
  13. Officers don't have emotions, sir! The upper lip is cast in concrete three weeks into the second term at Sandhurst
  14. Ah, yes. Obviously I was ignoring the 'crying' bit - a crafty scotch should sort that one out. But, the breakfast in bed, ironing, bed-making, and other such items of domestic triviality will all be done for me, right?
  15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

& get used to being asked by all the troop/platoon, 'How many did you get sir?'