Officer Cadet in Mess kit???

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by You are Where Sir, Feb 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need help,

After 7 years in the TA I have went down the officer route and I am currently an Officer Cadet waiting to go on TACC in May, currently poncing around with my little white tape on.

My problem is this, there is a regimental dinner coming up soon and I have been told by one group of guys in the unit to wear a dinner jacket etc, however within this groups of "friends" we are always keen to pull pranks on each other and I think they are trying to make me look like a cnut.

On the other side is another group of friends who have told me to wear my mess dress with the old white tapes showing, yet again, however these blokes would also like to see me look like a cnut.

Does anyone know what would be correct? please help or I might be killed by the CO when I turn up in jeans and my spare norgy shirt.

Also my apologies if I have put this in the wrong area, I figured it was a kit type topic.

2. Use your brains: ask the PMC or the Adjutant. How do you expect anyone on here to know the answer?

3. Go for the black tie.

You aren't entitled to don the mess kit until you are commissioned and would indeed look a complete cnut with mess kit and white tabs!! :D

4. My advice? get some new friends! :roll:

5. Black Tie,

Real tie - don't even think about a clip on *shudder*

6. Thanks Al, thats what I figured,

The only reason I was confused is because I have been to a few other regiments where private soldiers even had mess kit and this made me think.

and sleeper, we are on exercise next weekend with lots of things that make big bangs, so i might sort that then

7. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Do the TA wear mess kit?

8. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Of course they do - dressing up is part of the fun!

9. Best answer /\

You are Where Sir says he's been in for 7 years. He already has mess kit.
    I have seen serving soldiers such as him, become OCdts, and wear their old mess kit with OCdt rank to functions.

To be sure it's acceptable where you are, ask as suggested by CP

10. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

What does a private soldier's mess kit look like? I must admit having joined the Army in the late 70s (and still serving) I have never come across one.

11. Dressing up isn't just part of the fun, it is the fun. :D

12. [​IMG]

A Private soldier in his mess kit yesterday.

13. Cant speak for the whole Army, but for Kingos its a matching shellsuit ensemble, various pastel shades, and trainers. The women can wear Ron Hill tracksters as an alternative, but only if they have legs like shotputters.

14. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

[quote="Bravo_Bravo but for Kingos its a matching shellsuit ensemble, various pastel shades, and trainers. The women can wear Ron Hill tracksters as an alternative, but only if they have legs like shotputters.[/quote]

Presumably for more formal occasions the women wear white stilettos?

15. Its exactly the same as SNCO mess kit, but with no rank (and probably some sick) on it. I've been to quite a few dinners with bands, and the private soldiers in the band wear mess kit.

And to the original poster, go for the black tie mate, and as your probably going to hire it, you can spill port on it and throw up and just give it back without cleaning it. Bonus :D

Boney