Officer Briefing Day (My Thoughts)

Hi all,

The main purpose of this post is to inform you what to expect on your Officer Breifing Day as I have recently completed mine and thought I'd share the experience.

The day begins at 1000hrs but make sure that you arrive earlier (prior to 0940) otherwise it obviously looks bad on you. I was surprised to find that both HEIGHT and WEIGHT are measured on the day and your BMI is calculated for you. I was not aware of this however was not a major issue for me, however if you are someone who is trying to drop weight prior to medical just a heads up that it WILL be taken here.

The day then moved on to a short but informative presentation from a retired Colonel about what to expect as a young officer which was nothing unexpected.

After the presentation you then move onto your icebreakers which last two minutes. My advice for these is to cut to the chase. Don't waffle to much about who you live with and where. Although this is a good thing to start off with try and speak mainly about the following....

-Why you want to join
-What you want to join
-Your hobbies and interests
-What makes you suitable for the role

I'll show a bit of integrity here and say I didn't rehearse mine at all because I know that I have a lot to talk about so can just make it up as I go along but I remembered those four points and tried to include them all. Be mindful of your body language. MAKE EYE CONTACT, PROJECT YOUR VOICE and most importantly DONT PUT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS.

You then move onto a tea break, another short presentation and then onto Current Affairs discussion.

With the current affairs discussion just make sure you have read up enough on politics to be able to have some input. Make eye contact with other candidates and give everyone a chance to speak. Remember the old PEEL method from GCSE'S

POINT
EVIDENCE
EXPLANATION
LINK

That's a good method for these discussions.

Last but not least, the interview!

Make sure you can answer the basic questions and try not to speak too much like I did. Just answer what you are asked and if you want to remove your jacket make sure you ask the assessor first (I did this but it would have been bad if I did not)! Be hot on your mental maths, division/addition/subtraction/multiplication and obviously speed distance and time as you WILL be asked a question relating to one of the above.

That's pretty much it really. Use the day as an opportunity to meet and exchange numbers with other candidates and try and take as much away as you can because by the sound of it you will need it for breifing and main board!

Any questions please ask away!

The_Duke

LE
if you want to remove your jacket make sure you ask the assessor first (I did this but it would have been bad if I did not!
I am sure this will trigger lots of posts about being old fashioned, the army being fixated on dress rather than outcomes etc, but I would disagree with this advice.

If you wear a suit to an interview, then wear all of it. It doesn't last long - you will not dehydrate or die of hyperthermia. If you are successful you will have to get out of the habit of stripping down to your own comfort level whenever you desire to pretty fast!

A candidate asking to sling his jacket on the back of a chair would (to me) suggest an informality or desire to relax which is out of the ordinary for an interview.

As I said, perhaps I am just old fashioned.

Last edited:
Thank you for your AOSB briefings summary. you have described it well without scaring me. please do another follow up for Main Board if you can. thanks pal.

Thank you for your AOSB briefings summary. you have described it well without scaring me. please do another follow up for Main Board if you can. thanks pal.
He didn't make it, he took his jacket off.