Officer Application Timescale

Drs634

Crow
Evening everyone,

I am about to submit my application to join the reserves as an officer and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to the current timescale I am looking at from submission.

Further question, the box for ‘additional information’ on the application - should I be writing anything in here or is it, as I’m suspecting, a trick to make me waffle on about irrelevant things?

Kind regards,

Daniel

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Depends on a few things, namely how swift the NRC prove with the stuff they've got to do their end and how proactive you are.

When I joined, I stuck an application in online during January, was in my unit by April and had a briefing booked in August. Sat my first MB in the October.

Comparatively, one of the guys who attended the same first unit visit as me didn't get his security dealt with properly for over a year. I think, however, that this isn't particularity common.

Drs634

Crow
Depends on a few things, namely how swift the NRC prove with the stuff they've got to do their end and how proactive you are.

When I joined, I stuck an application in online during January, was in my unit by April and had a briefing booked in August. Sat my first MB in the October.

Comparatively, one of the guys who attended the same first unit visit as me didn't get his security dealt with properly for over a year. I think, however, that this isn't particularity common.
Thanks for that. I’ll be getting on it ASAP in that case as it doesn’t seem like an overly quick process.

D_Gun2019

Swinger
Hi,

I am currently going through that process, the time line so far has been:
Applied online - 12th July 2018
Met with unit - 10th Oct
Medical form received - 11th Oct
Development plan complete - 13th Nov
Assessment Centre (every reservist has to go through the soldier route) - 7th Feb
Attested in march
Briefing in May (just done) literally scraped through though...
So hopefully the Main Board in the next six months....
But that would be just to get to Officer Cadet.. 8 weeks of training to become a full Young Officer.

Hope that helps.

Also don't worry too much about the additional information boxes I am not sure that application isn't used much in 'anger' there are others later on more important.

Drs634

Crow
Hi,

I am currently going through that process, the time line so far has been:
Applied online - 12th July 2018
Met with unit - 10th Oct
Medical form received - 11th Oct
Development plan complete - 13th Nov
Assessment Centre (every reservist has to go through the soldier route) - 7th Feb
Attested in march
Briefing in May (just done) literally scraped through though...
So hopefully the Main Board in the next six months....
But that would be just to get to Officer Cadet.. 8 weeks of training to become a full Young Officer.

Hope that helps.

Also don't worry too much about the additional information boxes I am not sure that application isn't used much in 'anger' there are others later on more important.
Thanks that’s very helpful. I wasn’t aware that all reservists had to go through the soldier route. I submitted a couple of days ago and I’m waiting for overseas qualifications to be converted so hopefully the ball has started rolling.

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Thanks that’s very helpful. I wasn’t aware that all reservists had to go through the soldier route. I submitted a couple of days ago and I’m waiting for overseas qualifications to be converted so hopefully the ball has started rolling.
You don't have to go through the reserve soldier route. If you opt not to join a reserve unit before MB, then you'll be loaded onto the commissioning course as a DE.

If you join a reserve unit prior to MB, then you'll do the standard soldier training program until after a MB pass, when you'll be appointed Officer Cadet and loaded onto a commissioning course.

Drs634

Crow
You don't have to go through the reserve soldier route. If you opt not to join a reserve unit before MB, then you'll be loaded onto the commissioning course as a DE.

If you join a reserve unit prior to MB, then you'll do the standard soldier training program until after a MB pass, when you'll be appointed Officer Cadet and loaded onto a commissioning course.
Is either option markedly better than the other in your opinion? I presume that joining a unit first would mean they could assist with any problems along the way. Equally, would not joining a unit first put someone at a major disadvantage in any way?

Hohenidoom

Clanker
Is either option markedly better than the other in your opinion? I presume that joining a unit first would mean they could assist with any problems along the way. Equally, would not joining a unit first put someone at a major disadvantage in any way?
I'd always advocate for joining a unit. Firstly you'll actually get to know the people you'll be leading, get an idea for the jobs they do and the ones they get dicked with. You'll also get a decent grounding in your military skills, and that'll help you for Sandhurst.

Not to mention, you get some decent financial bonuses for doing your phase 1. Your unit will also be able to assist you in prepping for MB (eg, my brigade run AOSB prep days)

I personally can't see any reason as to why you shouldn't join prior to doing MB - but that's not to say it wouldn't work or that you'd be irreparably disadvantaged not joining. MB, after all, is designed to be sat by both civvies and military folk alike.

D_Gun2019

Swinger
I wasn't told there was any other choice but to attest first before even being booked on to the aosb briefing.

The candidate support manager and the unit didn't suggest that I could do it any other way. But they do have their own quotas to fill.

So just be aware of that. I am still not sure that there is an option not to attest and not go through the selection centre first. Or at least no one is highlighting that route.

Latest Threads