Officer Application: GCSE issue

I'm 18 years, finished college a few weeks ago and i'm looking into a carrier as an officer, however i don't have "either a Science subject or a Foreign Language at grade C or better" (I have a D in both).
What I need to know is will they let that minor issue go or am I going to have to retake some GCSEs :?

F

Format09

TheBritishAreComing said:
I'm 18 years, finished college a few weeks ago and i'm looking into a carrier as an officer, however i don't have "either a Science subject or a Foreign Language at grade C or better" (I have a D in both).
What I need to know is will they let that minor issue go or am I going to have to retake some GCSEs :?
1. Do you mean career?

2. I would of thought that yes you will have to retake those GCSEs

3. Further down the site there is a section for Officers and inside there's a further section for Officer recruiting. They might be able to help you more.

Career! That's the one. 2 years studying Enlgish Literature was time well spent.

Looks like I'm going to have to brush up on my English as well as my German.

Thanks all the same.

F

Format09

Career! That's the one. 2 years studying Enlgish Literature was time well spent.

Looks like I'm going to have to brush up on my English as well as my German.

Thanks all the same.
Indeed.....!

A typing error! On a post made at halfpast 11, with me only having drunk 3 beers in the last 2 hours.

I can see now that I am certainly not officer material.

Scrap retaking my GCSEs and becoming an Officer.

I'll become an accountant, watch war movies, drink heavily and fall asleep in the street where I will dream of what could have been.

F

Format09

A typing error! On a post made at halfpast 11, with me only having drunk 3 beers in the last 2 hours.

I'll become an accountant, watch war movies, drink heavily and fall asleep in the street where I will dream of what could have been.
Ok I beleive you!

Don't give now! Maybe you could join as a OR and then obtain a commission later into you service.

A typing error! On a post made at halfpast 11, with me only having drunk 3 beers in the last 2 hour

Re: Officer Application: GCSE issue
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:22 pm

u said half 11?? it was 9.22 ;)

Technically, my A - Levels weren't good enough for me to be accepted as a candidate for Officer. However, my degree more than made up for them...

Re-sitting a science GCSE will do you no harm

Omegahunter

1. The lack of one of those two subjects at a (very) basic level is not a "minor issue". The requirement for one or other is made very clear in all the literature.

2. If college re-sits don't float your boat you can always elect the correspondence course route. Consider the International GCE (IGCE) science courses. Start now, cram until Christmas. Pass in January. "Simples".

3. Grammar matters. Accept it. Grip it. Move on.

Old Rat

Ratty is right. I had to retake my French GCSE, if you're serious about going in as an officer it shoudln't be a problem for you to book yourself on a course now, or if you speak German just book an exam? Also, if you're a new user it's probably best if you write properly on the bloggs, you'll be taken a lot more seriously. Good luck!

The road to a commision is long... you should be able achieve a resit on your "D"s in about a year anyway. So apply and tell them you are working on addressing your shortcomings.... they'll be dead chuffed with you.

Given the current economic situation we'll be getting alot of applicants joining to whether the sturm.... have you anything to set you out from the crowd? If not you may wish to consider getting something... or maybe going to Uni and OTC.

chocolate_frog said:
The road to a commision is long... you should be able achieve a resit on your "D"s in about a year anyway. So apply and tell them you are working on addressing your shortcomings.... they'll be dead chuffed with you.

Given the current economic situation we'll be getting alot of applicants joining to whether the sturm.... have you anything to set you out from the crowd? If not you may wish to consider getting something... or maybe going to Uni and OTC.
Or any TA. They do take some time to join though, so you may not get much time done, if any, before your assessments. So, use your initiative and become an istructor for CCF, D of E, Scouts, anything like that. If in doubt do all of them.
Off topic, which branch of the army do you want to join?

I've had a similar 'issue' with a GCSE. My advice is don't prat about, look into resits and do them next summer. I have it on fairly good authority that exceptions are very rarely made, if ever.

Having done my resit I'm halfway tempted to start approaching regiments before my results next month, but I don't want to start off on the wrong foot, trying to present myself as a 'special case' who thinks the rules should be bent for him. I think this slightly applies to your situation; do you really want to have to try and explain to the recruiting establishment why they should overlook your shortcomings? Get yourself squared away, then you can approach confident that you meet the basic requirements and won't embarrass yourself.

The longer you leave it, the harder it will get. I hadn't done any maths for years (I'm 25) and had to teach myself from a book. No picnic, believe me. You should do it while it's fresh in your mind, even if you don't end up joining the Army.

Latest Threads