Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Officer and soldier engaged before joining , can we be together ?

My question is .....

Me and my other half want join the army and she would be joining as an officer and I would be as a soldier due to my lack of one GCSE needed to qualify for officer.

My concern is that if we join, can we still be together? Would we be posted together or would we have to be married before joining ?

Seriously?

Your profile says that you're 22: might I suggest that you approach a recruiter and ask that question.

Further, IF you are 22 and you still feel the need to ask that question, I would strongly urge you not to leave home until your 30th birthday.

Last edited:
Seriously?

Your profile says that your 22: might I suggest that you approach a recruiter and ask that question.

Further, IF you are 22 and you still feel the need to ask that question, I would strongly urge you not to leave home until your 30th birthday.
He's from Norwich, so they're probably related already.

Has your other half passed RCB yet? ( please forgive me if it has a new name)

If not your question may well be redundant.

Have you made the necessary steps to be enlisted?

If not the question may well be redundant.

As for serving together (or at least in more or less the same place) that depends on loads of factors but in the main the Army tries to be as helpful as it can.

My question is .....

Me and my other half want join the army and she would be joining as an officer and I would be as a soldier due to my lack of one GCSE needed to qualify for officer.

My concern is that if we join, can we still be together? Would we be posted together or would we have to be married before joining ?
Assuming you both successfully join, the army will endeavour to give you each your chosen postings. But even when married you won't have any super special circumstances to keep your postings together

Once both in and single you will be eligible for ORs SLA in the block, and she would be eligible to a room in the officers mess
When married you would be eligible for SFA and she would be the lead, making the eligibility for an officers house

You as an OR will have to be sensitive to acting accordingly as 'husband of' an officer
On mess events etc when appropriate you would be the guest partner of an officer

Is anyone else thinking Mumsnet are trying for a bite tonight? In the very recent posting history we've had a gay, a female to male trannie that wants to be a Guards officer and now this soppy pair?

Someone somewhere is watching this closely

The thought occurred to me earlier that the lack of school certificates is not an impediment to being commissioned from the ranks. I had a superb Adjutant commissioned from the Other Ranks who did not have a school qualification to his name. Bloody good he was too.

You should have no problems. If you have kids already you will get as minimum a 4 bed detached house where you want to live and you should get an issue car as well. Well done for coming forward. Show this forum stream when you go along to a recruiting office and you probably won't need that wretched GCSE and should get to Sandhurst just in time to pass out.

Last edited:
You should have problems. If you have kids already you will get as minimum a 4 bed detached house where you want to live and you should get an issue car as well. Well done for coming forward. Show this forum stream when you go along to a recruiting office and you probably won't need that wretched GCSE and should get to Sandhurst just in time to pass out.
They will get any posting they want, even Hong Kong

The thought occurred to me earlier that the lack of school certificates is not an impediment to being commissioned from the ranks. I had a superb Adjutant commissioned from the Other Ranks who did not have a school qualification to his name. Bloody good he was too.
What cap badge?