Office bs?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Rocky218, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents.

I have spent a long time as a distant observer of arrse. I thought I would finally make the move and ask some opinions.

First of all sorry in advance for the bones questions. While I have always wanted to be in the army. None of my family have been before so I don't have much idea on the crack. Bar what I have read from the banter here and other army sites.

First of all is joining the ta a good way of getting a feel for the army before joining as a reg.

Also I managed to drag my sorry ass through university to get a degree in physics. Do I need to join as an officer? Most my mates are squadies, and fekin hate their officers. Im not sure I'd fit in with the officers bs either playing tennis or sitting in an office. I'd Wanna join in the infantry, I captained the uni rugby team n like to throw some weights in the gym.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

2. Your best bet would be to check out your local unit first (if TA is what you want)

just google TA near Birmingham or whatever

If you want to go regs just call up the careers office & see what they have on the go?

3. Are you sure about that fella? With that kind of bone spelling... I call a wah
  4. msr

msr LE

I'd drag your sorry arrse to the library and get a dictionary.
  5. Why do you think I did physics. If I had perfect spelling I'd be sat next to my nan on count down.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

As two_of_seven said above, just go to your nearest Infantry TA unit on their drill night and have a chat with them. It's still the quickest most direct way to joining. There's no compulsion to join as an officer simply because of your education level. There are plenty of people in the Ranks with Higher Education qualifications within the Infantry, both in the TA and in the Regs.

If you don't know where your local TA Infantry unit is, post your location on here and someone will have the answer for you. Good luck mate!
  7. Rp578

Spot on answers. Cheers for your time.
  8. Crack is the smokeable variant of cocaine hydrochloride and comes as creamy-coloured brittle rocks which when pure will sink in water. It looks something like this.

Hope that helps. However I should point out that crack habits and military service tend to be mutually exclusive, so if I were you I'd put that spoon down and go speak to your local TA unit instead. Unless you meant craic, which is something entirely different...
  9. Roadster.

I think you were right about the "spot on" remark.

and appologies. The countdown comment was not intended as flippant as it came across. I'm serious about joining, I shall keep in mind your advice.

Bravo. Zulu

Thank you for your informative lecture on crack, and for the record I certainly did mean craic.
  10. Just go straight to your nearest ACIO/AFCO whatever they are calling the careers office this week and they'll be able to give you info on the Regs and TA. (Don't discount the Marines or Navy too - have a look you might like it.)

Good luck.
  11. I wouldn't count on the AFCO/ACIO being particularly informed about the TA beyond 'here's the contact details of the nearest unit, go see them' (which is probably the best advice actually...).
  12. Gents

Just a quick up date and a thank you.

I have looked around two ta units and have been to a rmr detachment presentation. The royals seemed a very motivated bunch of guys so I think i am going to get my running shoes on an try for their september intake.

A point of interest. I was told that you should always talk to the careers guys first, not the detachment. So they get to know who you are, because if thes a tricky point about your application Ie. Marginal vision. Then they are the guys who are able to help you out.
  13. He did say in physics, we should be grateful that he hasn't dropped out a random selection of vowels and consonants and replaced them with greek letters and symbols.
  14. What exactly do your mates 'hate' about their officers? No officers I know play tennis all day. Once you get to SNCO rank you spend a fair amount of time in an office anyway. Your choice.
  15. I'm perplexed or dyslexic or both, what's wrong with the spelling of the phrase you highlighted?