Offered Intelligence Linguist position

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by sezz, Sep 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was previously aiming to join the army as an artillery observer, but after sitting the BARB, the sergeant basically said that because my score was reasonably high, I should really consider doing something else.
    One of the jobs that caught my eye was intelligence linguist, so I went back to the careers office and got advice on it, along with a few others.
    I can speak some Spanish and French, but not exactly to a great level. Would this put me at a disadvantage? Would I even be accepted in?
    Would there be a chance to actually go outside and go on patrols or anything like that?
    Many thanks
  2. ^ Tea and?
  3. toast with marmalade.
  4. Sorry, the OP will find much goodness on these pages that will actually help. I just couldn't resist. Either the chance to be a smart arse, or a bit of toast and marmalade action either.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The linguist trade course is extremely long - 18 months or so on top of the 14 weeks basic training. You need a modern foreign language GCSE to be eligible as far as I know.

You'll be taught a language from scratch over those 18 months. You get treated very well for the duration (compared to other Phase 2 training establishments!) and there's monetary incentives for finishing the course with better grades.

It's a good job from what I can tell, and one I wish I'd done. If you've got a knack for picking up foreign languages easily, it'd definitely be one worth doing.

You will be called a snot head and a 'linguist faggot' by those from the SIGINT world, but a small price to pay for the extra cash you get.

As for patrols and all that, no idea. A lot of linguists end up at 14 Signal Regiment (Electronic Warfare) translating stuff, but I won't pretend to know what other postings they have.

Most importantly, join with what job you think will be most interesting for you - don't worry about the 'patrols' and all that crap.
  6. Better advice was given earlier ref stickies.
  7. Aint he a clever boy? Why don't you just wait and quacking see.

When I joined up. The tinternet was around but a bit like sky tv if you know what i mean...I found all my answers on AFCO visits, brochures etc. Fookin hell. They even give out div-eh-dez on what to expect ( i had a vhs! And CD-ROM!)

Go suck your own cock as you will not find any fooker on here to do it for you (unless an arrse maiden gets you in her sights and you would not want that boy, trust me!)

Now nob off or get on with it
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Cheers for that, it's not the NAAFI, so
    Feck off to the airsoft thread. Children should be quiet until spoken to. And walts should be ignored.
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Thanks mate, I read the sticky but couldn't find anything about actually going outside, the main thing that's putting me off about the job is the thought I might not actually see any action at all and be sitting in making tea.
  10. Wow what a twat
  11. Ok then, I am feeling generous. Yes, at the moment some linguists go on patrol in support of infantry tasking. Some may also go out with Ruminters. Some also sit in (not so ) darkened rooms for hours on end. As per the stickie for opmi(l) the job is what you make it.
    Caveat: this is the situation whilst we are fighting the good fight in the 'Stan: but as we know that finishes soon. The same choices will appear during any contingency ops, depending on in-country language.
    Whatevernhappensyou will encounter throbbing dim-spiders at some point; damn my generous mood didn't last long did it?!😉
  12. I wrote quite a lot here, but then realised that it was best not to post it. Can't be too careful!

Suffice to say, nobody can predict what language you will be learning, or how you will be using it. In Afghanistan we MOSTLY use indigenous interpreters on the ground. As an OPMI(L) your language is a tool that helps you to do your job, it is not your job per-se. Corps linguists are a vital (and often overlooked or misunderstood) component in certain disciplines of the Corps, but not (for the most part) used for 'terp work. Saying that, who knows where we'll be in three, five, ten years time?

There are plenty of lads and lasses currently undertaking language courses who have little or no language background at all, and performing very well.
  13. See action vs make a difference?

Depends on your point of view. On those grounds Bletchley Park wasn't that good a place to work? But I imagine you get the vibe.

Being merely a groupie of such things, I think your long term interests would be served with a language. Just an uneducated opinion.

But making a good tea helps too, all about making friends and influencing people.
  14. Being in a slightly better state than I was . . .

Do not worry in the slightest about your language skills. Although past proof of your ability may stand you in good stead, your INT CORPS Selection and your performance on the Modern Languages Aptitude Test (MLAT) is what will give you the nod or the shake.
    Before anybody asks, you CANNOT revise for the test.

As an INT CORPS linguist I can offer a little advice on your other points.

Firstly, FECK NO. I studied French, German and Latin to GCSE level because I was lucky enough to attend a school that forced me to do so, but I had no interest in languages. I attended my first Long Language Course (LLC) with 11 others. One had a degree in Spanish, one had a degree in French. One was straight from school in Newcastle, another from Darlington after working for the NHS Trust. Another had a degree in Forensic Sociology. One had an honours degree in Philosophy, another was a Scouser who worked as a Barista in Starbucks. One had various careers including working as a gym/physical instructor and lab technician, another sold cars at an approved dealership for VW, the guy sitting next to me was a 31 year old bloke with a wife, a kid and two stepkids who previously worked in a call centre. Then a young lad with his first kid. There is no template, and everyone passed the course.

Give it a shot. The worst thing you can do it is not bother your arse to apply.

Patrols? Here's the rub, my man. You are a linguist. You are a highly trained, highly paid and HIGHLY VALUED individual. If you can be kept out of harms way then you will be.