Offending the god botherers

You are only capable of saying such a thing because you are so embedded in an idolatrous religious culture in which the idolatry is part and parcel of the whole doctrine but referred to by euphemisms such as "devotionals".
Before reaching conclusions or continuing to accept what has hitherto been acceptable to you, I urge you to consider these things in a fearless, autonomous and independent way - "devotionals"? Devotion to what? If you accept the concept and essential non-duality of deity, why the hell would you want to devote yourself to anything or anyone else else???
I urge you to examine your own motivations, in an honest and authentic manner.
Like I've pointed out numerous times, devotionals are aids to worshipping God. They are lifeless objects themselves, and we've always recognised them as such. When you use a devotional in the image of a saint, it's because that saint closely emulated Christ, and was therefore a manifestation of Him in this world.
An idol, on the other hand, is the object of worship intended to replace God.

Like I've pointed out numerous times, devotionals are aids to worshipping God. They are lifeless objects themselves, and we've always recognised them as such. When you use a devotional in the image of a saint, it's because that saint closely emulated Christ, and was therefore a manifestation of Him in this world.
An idol, on the other hand, is the object of worship intended to replace God.
You make life very easy for yourself. You are lucky god is only an invention of fantasists otherwise you would likely find yourself being cast into the pit of Gehenna for brazen idolatrousness and refusal to face truth.

You could be in for a very big surprise some day.
Highly likely, likewise yourself, existence being one big process of discovery, somewhat unknowable in advance and considering our instinctive fear of the unknown, it's not surprising how we love to grasp onto things, even when they are things of our own invention.

Every person is born with certain fundamental rights: The right to life, to express themselves and to fulfil their potential. A person who physically prevents the exercise of those rights cannot change the fact those rights exist......
Where do those "fundamental rights" come from?
Are they "God given"? (Bad news for atheists.) Or, are they given by society; in which case one isn't born with them and is likely to forfeit them(?)

Where do those "fundamental rights" come from?
Are they "God given"? (Bad news for atheists.) Or, are they given by society; in which case one isn't born with them and is likely to forfeit them(?)
According to Catholic Social Teaching (Section 168-ish of the Compendium of the Catechism, commended to mankind by Benedict XVI, I think), man is made in the image and likeness of God. The implication is that one's right to life, to express himself freely and realise his potential are also sacred. Of course, the right to life is the most sacred of these - just so you don't get the idea that murdering Owen Jones (arbitrary example) would be a legitimate exercise of free expression.

Rights given by society are civil rights, which aren't fundamental and must be fought/begged for from the state.

According to Catholic Social Teaching (Section 168-ish of the Compendium of the Catechism, commended to mankind by Benedict XVI, I think), man is made in the image and likeness of God. The implication is that one's right to life, to express himself freely and realise his potential are also sacred. Of course, the right to life is the most sacred of these - just so you don't get the idea that murdering Owen Jones (arbitrary example) would be a legitimate exercise of free expression.

Rights given by society are civil rights, which aren't fundamental and must be fought/begged for from the state.
Informative.
Your view relies in the fact that man was "made" in god's image: this presumes the existence of such an entity. Who "made" man?
My understanding of fundamental is a principle on which we base something (a foundation). Therefore "man" made; ergo civil (?)
There is nothing sacred about one's right to life (if indeed we have such a right), it is solely dependent on man made assumptions and rules.
In summary, Man giveth and man taketh away.

Aw, I've not been on ARRSE for ages, and it look like I've missed four months when you could have been abusing me. I've not really read the thread, but as a professional God-botherer I stand here as an open target. In your own time, go on.

Aw, I've not been on ARRSE for ages, and it look like I've missed four months when you could have been abusing me. I've not really read the thread, but as a professional God-botherer I stand here as an open target. In your own time, go on.
God didn't create you to be a target. He created you to evangelise and be an expression of His glory in a world soiled by the filthy skidmark of atheism.

Welcome back Bigeye. No need to be such a martyr. These are your Arrse muckas here. If you are interested in seeking spiritually rather than just being invested in existing religious sensibillities, there well be what to learn from our joint exploration on this thread.

I've certainly learnt about tongue in cheek humour, in recent days @scarbrough has caused me several fits of laughing out loud like rarely ever happens, at work, at airports, on boxhead trains.....
Bless the old lecher for his grand sense of humour.

I second lookfar's post, but would like to add that, if you are seeking true spiritual nourishment, the nutrients of Jesus' unleavened Bread of Life, join the Catholic faith.

Come home. You know it makes sense. pay no heed to the protestant 'sola scriptura' nonsense and their wrongful accusations of idolatry.

Informative.
Your view relies in the fact that man was "made" in god's image: this presumes the existence of such an entity. Who "made" man?
Partly the Universe, entropy, the drive by improbable arrangements of molecules to synthesise energy, and largely, behind those processes, an entity we call God. Life is indeed sacred, a miracle that humans themselves cannot replicate.
If human technology cannot create life, what right would society have to take life and prevent its expression?

I've certainly learnt about tongue in cheek humour, in recent days @scarbrough has caused me several fits of laughing out loud like rarely ever happens, at work, at airports, on boxhead trains.....
Bless the old lecher for his grand sense of humour.
In recent days? What about all those months I've catechised you, configured you in the ways of Christ, impinged moral truths onto the core of your being?

I'm not an ordained lecher yet, by the way.

Last edited:
Welcome back Bigeye. No need to be such a martyr. These are your Arrse muckas here. If you are interested in seeking spiritually rather than just being invested in existing religious sensibillities, there well be what to learn from our joint exploration on this thread.
Apologies for coming over so vilely arrogant in this post, it was meant to be part of @ugly's great winter offensive but looks plain bad.

I second lookfar's post, but would like to add that, if you are seeking true spiritual nourishment, the nutrients of Jesus' unleavened Bread of Life, join the Catholic faith.

Come home. You know it makes sense. pay no heed to the protestant 'sola scriptura' nonsense and their wrongful accusations of idolatry.
Sadly no place for me in the Catholic Church - where would my tuba fit? (Answers on a postcard).

Partly the Universe, entropy, the drive by improbable arrangements of molecules to synthesise energy, and largely, behind those processes, an entity we call God. Life is indeed sacred, a miracle that humans themselves cannot replicate.
If human technology cannot create life, what right would society have to take life and prevent its expression?..
An interesting response. I recognise the words but not the order they are presented.
I can only assume one of two things.

1. You are some kind of religious zealot (Doubt that. nobody could be that dumb).
or
2. You are on a wind up. (More likely as....see above)
Either way there is nothing to be gained from debating with you. :)

An interesting response. I recognise the words but not the order they are presented.
I can only assume one of two things.

1. You are some kind of religious zealot (Doubt that. nobody could be that dumb).
or
2. You are on a wind up. (More likely as....see above)
Either way there is nothing to be gained from debating with you. :)
Oh, I get it. You can't joust with someone of supreme intellect and vigorous philosophical mind, so you're going to pack up your atheist toys and go home crying to Mother Dawkins.
That Catholics are immeasurable more intelligent than atheists, and mental colossi, was too much to stomach, wasn't it. But that's okay, because mine ears are turned to God. He tells me to do things.

Truly, there is everything to gain by debating with me. You can learn the ways of righteousness and pass through the narrow gate and partake of the Kingdom of God.
Let us walk together, hand in hand, as lovers in Christ.

When I started wearing the green a couple of people called me an idol little man, I know now that I was made in gods image I could have risen above it

Latest Threads