Offending the god botherers

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I believe in God and the Sky pixies etc. I don't try to force that on anybody and even at that I am a heathen by the standards of the true believers. But the message was always hate the sin, love the sinner. Not stone that idol worshiping mong, or the slag who has shagged half the barracks.
I too do not force my religion on anyone, because I cannot. I will never deny it, but it is up to everyone to make a choice and I respect whatever choice they make, atheism* Catholicism, Hinduism, anything. I do have issues with extreme interpretations of religions though.

Please send me the name of the slag who shagged half of the barracks because she must have missed me out

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
Living and working in what is described as the buckle of the bible belt I find myself surrounded by many mega-churches and their attendant flock. I think I can probably say that at least once a week I get someone who starts a conversation with me based around their faith, their particular church, what their pastor told them, or something in the bible. Boy, oh boy, do they get uppity offended when I politely tell them that I am not a christian and have no interest in that line of conversation. To give an analogy from my side would be like me talking to people about my Glock fetish, love of all things Porsche and my desire to perform possibly unnatural acts on various supermodels and actresses - and then getting annoyed when they tell me they have no interst in those things.
But their pastor does ...

endure

GCM
I too do not force my religion on anyone, because I cannot. I will never deny it, but it is up to everyone to make a choice and I respect whatever choice they make, atheism* Catholicism, Hinduism, anything. I do have issues with extreme interpretations of religions though.

Please send me the name of the slag who shagged half of the barracks because she must have missed me out

I'm not an atheist but one thing that really annoys me is the insistence by many religious people that atheism is a belief system similar to religion. It's not. It's a lack of belief not a disbelief.

As the saying goes - If atheism is a religion then not collecting stamps is a hobby.

As the saying goes - If atheism is a religion then not collecting stamps is a hobby.
I always preferred to use football as the metaphor. No one on being asked 'Which football club do you support?' and replying 'None' ever gets told that actually not supporting a club is the same as supporting a club.

BlackDyke

War Hero
I'm not an atheist but one thing that really annoys me is the insistence by many religious people that atheism is a belief system similar to religion. It's not. It's a lack of belief not a disbelief.

Unfortunately some atheists are so militant that their disbeliefs start to resemble a belief system.
Look at the thoughts of Higgs_Bosun for example, both he and I are atheists but he rants about it and I don't.
It is easier to not believe and stay schtum as I am inclined to do most of the time.

[QUOTE="mercurydancer, post: 9581370,

[/QUOTE]

Horizontal Helen.

Believe me, you saved yourself some very uncomfortable urinations, an utter bastard of a BFT, and a week without a decent drink.

ugly

LE
What about people that put carrots in Cornish Pasties?
2 things, they aren't Cornish (and neither are their pasties) and they should be burned at the grill of 0A's kitchen!

ugly

LE
By the way, this thread along with a couple of others has forced one of our dear colleagues to leave us again. Sorry really honestly if it was me that did this JJH.

BlackDyke

War Hero
2 things, they aren't Cornish (and neither are their pasties) and they should be burned at the grill of 0A's kitchen!
This is more like it.
I was called evil the other day by a Cornish woman when I told her the ingredients in my forthcoming pasty cook.
A 'Spawn of the Devil' as well, all over carrots in pasties.
I told her I was an atheist and didn't believe in god or the devil but she was effronted.
My money, my ingredients and my digestive system and I'll call them what I like and will take my chances with the forces of darkness.

ugly

LE
This is more like it.
I was called evil the other day by a Cornish woman when I told her the ingredients in my forthcoming pasty cook.
A 'Spawn of the Devil' as well, all over carrots in pasties.
I told her I was an atheist and didn't believe in god or the devil but she was effronted.
My money, my ingredients and my digestive system and I'll call them what I like and will take my chances with the forces of darkness.
Its ok as long as they aren't advertised as Cornish pasties!

You are describing agnostic - Atheism is a belief there is no cloud inhabitant overloads and you will be bothered enough to make some kind of evidence based argument ( hopefully)... Agnostic is just a lack of belief/interest.

endure

GCM
You are describing agnostic - Atheism is a belief there is no cloud inhabitant overloads and you will be bothered enough to make some kind of evidence based argument ( hopefully)... Agnostic is just a lack of belief/interest.

Agnosticism is the view that the existence of god(s) is unknowable.
Atheism is a lack of believe that god(s) exist.

"nonbelief" is actually a belief
This is the typical straw man argument put about by those who believe in a higher power and is demonstratably wrong, in the same way that an empty glass is not a drink.

There are some who believe that there are monsters under the bed. This is "a belief". Not believing in the monsters under the bed is not "a belief".

BlackDyke

War Hero
I occasionally put my boxers on backwards, can I ever find redemption?
I think that is what they call a Venial sin so 5 Hail Marys and the job is good.
Carrots in Cornish Pasties on the other hand are a Mortal sin and perpetrators will rot in the coals of Hades for perpetuity.
It's a good job that god is 'loving' innit...

I think that is what they call a Venial sin so 5 Hail Marys and the job is good.
Carrots in Cornish Pasties on the other hand are a Mortal sin and perpetrators will rot in the coals of Hades for perpetuity.
It's a good job that god is 'loving' innit...

....George Carlin had that very subject nailed, he's on you tube, watch it and piss yourself at the stupidity of organised religion...

Latest Threads