Offending the god botherers

Not at my age old son, it is but a distant memory of an old Ex girlfriends divorced mother, who would be about 86 by now, ditto several other females of my youth back in the stone age,...... memory's...memory's.....nurse the screens!
Nah just lie back think of England and lap it up

Quite, tho material wealth only buys happiness in the short term. Sooner or later we all face the same problems and catastrophies of failing health and loved ones getting sick and having to care for people etc. Empty nihilism doesn't offer much guidance in the real trials and tribulations of life.

You can be a millionaire, but if you're 90 you still have the problems of being old.
Money cannot buy you happiness, but can certainly make the misery more bearable.

And I’d rather be a millionaire 90 year old living with state of the art, round the clock medical care, in my own home with all I could want, than living in some shit local authority care home being abused by minimum wage staff.

Look, there's no real point in discussing this any further. Apart from completely derailing the OP's original thread, which was quite amusing, this thread has gone downhill in the entertainment stakes. No matter the logical arguments, Scarbrough and his ilk won't accept any reality except that based on their own viewpoints. It's like that Bible thread with @Higgs_bosun, same old arguments, recycled ad infinitum.

Back on track.

Many moons ago, when our kids were very little, I was just becoming aware that my youngest had filled his nappies with something even worse than the norm, when the front door went.

2 of JW finest.

When asked if I had found Jesus, I said no, but I've just found this kid has deposited about 2 pounds of shit in his nappy. Want to lend a hand?

Never seen again. (The JWs, not my boy)

Screenshot_20190911-230730_Facebook.jpg

Money cannot buy you happiness, but can certainly make the misery more bearable.

And I’d rather be a millionaire 90 year old living with state of the art, round the clock medical care, in my own home with all I could want, than living in some shit local authority care home being abused by minimum wage staff.
Paid to have my neck fixed last year, this year I am paying to have my lumbar spine fixed. I do not intend to be the old codger spending half an hour shuffling across the car park on his zimmer frame to get into the supermarket.

No amount of cursing, praying, chanting or wafting of incense filled containers was going to fix it......it took money and it made me happier after I had the first one done and it shall make me even happier after the next one.

I have faith, faith in my wallet.

There's only so much money can do for heath, it can't buy you more time.

My point is life and time itself are important, and what's most important of all is choosing how you squander your precious time cos you don't get it back.

Is it worth working 70 hours a week for a high salary?

So. Stuff that has been made up by the pope and the bishops (infallibly since 1870 remember), taught in a book written by the same. In short exegesis by man. Literally, stuff made up by people.

Well done.......
Well apart from the Galileo thing obviously, but just because your infailible doesn't mean you cant make mistakes....

What?

Really?!!

Well makes you think doesn't it? After all if that was totally and utterly wrong what else could be?

My point is life and time itself are important, and what's most important of all is choosing how you squander your precious time cos you don't get it back.

This goes back to the question of what is happiness. I love my current work and the amazing bunch of nutters that form our team, Salary is not high but enough for my needs. If I didn't have this work, I would not be such a happy bunny. So happiness is a relative concept.

I had to work in a council run care home, doing some remedial electrical work, never will I end up in one of those, lino floors, no atmosphere, cold and institutional, the inmates all stiff faced and motionless, no chatter or conversation, the place had the feel of an hospice, as if all in it were expected to die. The staff went about their business like robots, no interaction with the residents, just the bare minimum, to tick all the health and safety regulation boxes, a horrendous place , something that Charles Dickens and Henry Mayhew would recognise.

The other side of the coin:- my father at 93 is in a private funded care home, its like a very well run 5 star hotel, fabulous place, excellent facility's, helpful happy smiling staff, nothing to much trouble, the décor is bright, and cheerful, the food in the well appointed dining hall of the best quality, they have days out, musicians and local interest groups pay regular visits, all in all, the very best of care, physically and mentally. When we last visited we were served coffee and biscuits, and made comfortable and welcoming by the attentive staff.

No, I did that for 10 years, 2 and a half hour commute,200 mile round trip daily. Shedloads of money,Company car, mega stress............and breathe. Gave my company a years notice (Honest), they thought I was taking the rise,11 months later, notice handed in, massive sense of humour failure in HR, don't care. I got a job working for a printing company, 5 minutes from home, less money, no stress, evenings and weekends belonged to me, loved it ! Lost weight, got fitter, best move I made. Own Time is worth £millions if you don't have much.

No, I did that for 10 years, 2 and a half hour commute,200 mile round trip daily. Shedloads of money,Company car, mega stress............and breathe. Gave my company a years notice (Honest), they thought I was taking the rise,11 months later, notice handed in, massive sense of humour failure in HR, don't care. I got a job working for a printing company, 5 minutes from home, less money, no stress, evenings and weekends belonged to me, loved it ! Lost weight, got fitter, best move I made. Own Time is worth £millions if you don't have much.
More time for me to call and engage in some Bible study over a coffee.

Fiction isn't his style
How about I pop round and spend four hours going through Christ's story with you? I have some very well-produced Jesus DVDs that are assiduous in their historical accuracy.
We can incorporate an element of role playing, if you like.

ugly

LE
How about I pop round and spend four hours going through Christ's story with you? I have some very well-produced Jesus DVDs that are assiduous in their historical accuracy.
We can incorporate an element of role playing, if you like.
If by accuracy you mean they use imagery created by Michelangelo with no basis to work from then I'd rather rub my nuts with a cheese grater.
Facts are proven, everything else is fiction.

Who knew they had cameras and recording studios all that time ago eh? Must have been easier when the world was flat!

Latest Threads