Offending the god botherers

It is an important question though, don't you think? Perhaps the most important. If we only get one shot at this then happiness matters and tragedy is real.
Yes I think so! Do you have a definition for what happiness is?

Not being miserable or depressed, it is quite abstract I suppose. Tho I do think it's fair to say that the majority of people worship material things.

Not being miserable or depressed, it is quite abstract I suppose. Tho I do think it's fair to say that the majority of people worship material things.
It does raise the question of whether we are doing things out of happiness or unhappiness. I'm thinking in particular of your example of worshipping material things. I feel a lot of that is just people trying to distract themselves from their lack of happiness.

Quite, tho material wealth only buys happiness in the short term. Sooner or later we all face the same problems and catastrophies of failing health and loved ones getting sick and having to care for people etc. Empty nihilism doesn't offer much guidance in the real trials and tribulations of life.

You can be a millionaire, but if you're 90 you still have the problems of being old.

How do you think most people nowadays attain long term happiness?
Contentment and, being at ease with yourself.

Over 70,married (to the same person) for 51 years. There are a myriad of things I would like to do before I pop my clogs but, I'm realistic enough to know it might not happen, so why worry.

Contentment and, being at ease with yourself.

Over 70,married (to the same person) for 51 years. There are a myriad of things I would like to do before I pop my clogs but, I'm realistic enough to know it might not happen, so why worry.
You also know better than the younger ones about what really matters in life because you would have faced those trails yourself. A person needs to be mentally capable to face the impeding disasters which inevitably happen and to face unexpected catastrophes. I think it's pretty fair to say that life is suffering.

I also imagine it's easier to bear the burden if you can get direction, organise yourself and don't get lost in drugs, bitterness and alcohol.

This is where we get to the allegorical stories. The Bible is about paradise, life, death and sacrifice. If we want to be happy how can we live our lives? Helping other people who're suffering seems like pretty good advice.

You also know better than the younger ones about what really matters in life because you would have faced those trails yourself. A person needs to be mentally capable to face the impeding disasters which inevitably happen and to face unexpected catastrophes. I think it's pretty fair to say that life is suffering.

I also imagine it's easier to bear the burden if you can get direction, organise yourself and don't get lost in drugs, bitterness and alcohol.

This is where we get to the allegorical stories. The Bible is about paradise, life, death and sacrifice. If we want to be happy how can we live our lives? Helping other people who're suffering seems like pretty good advice.
Most of the problems of today are driven by materialism and/or, ego.

Once you realise, someone else's opinion of yourself actually counts for nothing, you can start to chuckle. Once you realise that most peer pressure comes from somebody or, something making money, rather than being concerned for your wellbeing, you can relax and, enjoy life.

triggerigger

Old-Salt
So, if you claim on your house insurance and they refuse to pay out stating "Act of God", as an atheist does that then mean I can sue Gods representatives on earth. IE the Church?
It may be better to confront them about all the little kids they Bummed first

triggerigger

Old-Salt
Man made God in his own image.
Mainly due to not being able to answer the ultimate question.
Where did all this stuff come from.?
Honest answer a few hundred years ago.
"to be honest son I haven't got a fucking clue"
Oh no.
Well there is this bloke with a beard living in the clouds and if you are good and do what I say......... Blah blah blah.

If you know of a method which offers long term happiness I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear about it.
Lots of wanking.

Obviously.

Tinder, Bumble, Hinge etc etc...and not being in a long term relationship - bit tired of those now.. More fun, less drama.
That depends on how long you want to play around. That too can be empty, meaningless and self destructive in the long term.

That depends on how long you want to play around. That too can be empty, meaningless and self destructive in the long term.
True. But I consciously made a decision not to do any LTR for a bit after my last two ones which lasted about 7 years in total. I may change my mind, as you do, with these things. Right now I am just care free and having fun.

If you know of a method which offers long term happiness I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear about it.
It is the quantity, rather than the quality

In answer to your very loaded question:- To The Arrse trolls, having the perverted satisfaction of soliciting an answer from those that are daft enough to respond.
To sane, rational free thinkers, taking to task, those that have a single issue fixation, like religion and politics.
To the old and the bold, just surviving in a world that is becoming more and more incomprehensible, and all controlling.
To the young, the latest smart phones, and Hi-Tec gadgets, to be part of their peer group.
To an alcoholic, their next drink, ditto smack head and their drugs.
To divorced parents, access to their children.
To anyone suffering from a possible terminal disease, being told "You're in remission"
To me, personally, knowing that my wife, children, and grandchildremn are all doing well, healthy, and in good spirits.
To my wife, that I wake up in the mornings.
To my parents, 93 & 88, and still alive, that their last days are pain free, and comfortable.
To my bank manager, that I paid off my overdraft. ditto mortgage.
To other Arrser's, that I stop posting drivel,....allegedly.

Last edited:
Man made God in his own image.
Mainly due to not being able to answer the ultimate question.
Where did all this stuff come from.?

Honest answer a few hundred years ago.
"to be honest son I haven't got a ******* clue"
Oh no.
Well there is this bloke with a beard living in the clouds and if you are good and do what I say......... Blah blah blah.

The answer is as everybody knows is 42 Which is just as logical as any that the god Botherers can postulate, or argue about with any comprehensible logic, and makes just about the same sense.

Latest Threads