Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offending the god botherers

What are the grey forehead block things? I've seen them a couple of times on TV.

They contain specific verses from the Jewish bible written by a scribe on parchment. Jewish men put them on for the weekday morning prayer.
Another one is worn on the inner side of the left upper arm (close to the heart).

They contain specific verses from the Jewish bible written by a scribe on parchment. Jewish men put them on for the weekday morning prayer.
Another one is worn on the inner side of the left upper arm (close to the heart).
Cheers. I've wondered it a couple of times but never knew what to call them to find out.

What are the grey forehead block things? I've seen them a couple of times on TV.

Seeing as you mention foreheads. You know how zealot like and fanatically religious some septics are?

Imagine the scene, the hero of the tale, thats me, queuing in a supermarket holding a couple of items at about 18.00hrs. A woman joins behind me and I notice a dirty smudge on her forehead. "Excuse me, but you have some soot on your forehead". I can't remember the reply she snapped at me.

Did I mention I later found out it was ash wednesday.

To be precise they're called Tefillin.

Tefillah means "prayer" in Hebrew.
I read 'Tefillah' was the singular and 'Tefillin' the plural but happy to be corrected. I'm shit hot at quizzes after reading all these threads.

I read 'Tefillah' was the singular and 'Tefillin' the plural but happy to be corrected. I'm shit hot at quizzes after reading all these threads.
You are partially correct - there is some debate because of the use of both Hebrew and Aramaic at the time the term was adopted. The Hebrew plural of Tefillah is Tefillot. The name Tefillin may contain Aramaic influence - it seems no one knows for sure anymore.

You are partially correct - there is some debate because of the use of both Hebrew and Aramaic at the time the term was adopted. The Hebrew plural of Tefillah is Tefillot. The name Tefillin may contain Aramaic influence - it seems no one knows for sure anymore.
Does that cause various pedestrian factions to spit the dummy out at each other?

Not entirely new as this has been on the boil for a while, but in Poland there have been more demos against the ruling PiS party ( Prawo i Sprawiedliwość), which has finally got its anti-abortion law through. They have been ably aided and abetted by the catholic church (also known as Poof R us). Said church and party are also against homosexuals, that the catholics are against poofters is a bit more than ironic, more like double standards. But then the catholic church has centuries of previous for sticking its nose in where it doesn't belong.

While on my anti catholic rantex, I reckon that they misunderstood the quote from JC in the Bible when he said "suffer the little children to come unto me". They thought it only applied to little boys and the word suffer in old English meant to allow or let, not pain and suffering.

Latest Threads