Offending the god botherers

As an outsider looking in, I would say that the jewish house of cards is a bit more solid, if only because it is lacking the New Testament fairy tale.

Well the Jewish bible is full of mythology and fairy tales too - but from so many centuries earlier.
After so many centuries of monotheism being practiced and discussed you might have expected the people who invented Christianity to at least pursue the unity of the Divine rather than regress into dividing it into three.
They just didn't seem to be able to fully move on from the Roman paganism that prevailed at the time.

Last edited:
Well the Jewish bible is full of mythology and fairy tales too - but from so many centuries earlier.
After so many centuries of monotheism being practiced and discussed you might have expected the people who invented Christianity to at least pursue the unity of the Divine rather than regress into dividing it into three.
They just didn't seem to be able to move on fully from the Roman paganism that prevailed at the time.
Wouldn't agree with the last sentence, although my favourite Roman god would have been Mars.
The Holy Trinity is a three for the price of one, that's a good deal. But it's still monotheism, so very much different from the Romans.
Granted the jewish version of things is a bit fancyfull, but at least it has been established that certain things did happen eg Passover and the crossing of the Red Sea, but the reasons behind them were not acts of God. Moses was a good navigator and understood the tidal system of the Red Sea, the Egyptians didn't, unlucky.

78FEF51F-5863-464A-B726-D5FEA7A28292.jpeg

Ultra Orthodox Jews certainly seem to have more faith in God than in masks and social distancing.

Jackbooted neo-Nazi stormtrooper thugs from the Met broke up a Jewish wedding at a school hall in Stamford Hill last night.

There were 400 people there. They all did a runner when Dibble showed up so there were only 5 fines dished out.

The organisers are going to be stung for £10,000 each.

Oy vey, that will hurt.

Wouldn't agree with the last sentence, although my favourite Roman god would have been Mars.
The Holy Trinity is a three for the price of one, that's a good deal. But it's still monotheism, so very much different from the Romans.
Granted the jewish version of things is a bit fancyfull, but at least it has been established that certain things did happen eg Passover and the crossing of the Red Sea, but the reasons behind them were not acts of God. Moses was a good navigator and understood the tidal system of the Red Sea, the Egyptians didn't, unlucky.

The problem with these religious scriptures is that once you have identified an occurrence in them which, in the light of what we know now, is revealed to be a fairytale, the entire pack of cards falls, because no matter what your value judgements are, once you know part of the story is fake, you will never be able to trust the text or know which accounts in it, if any, are of actual events.

Ultra Orthodox Jews certainly seem to have more faith in God than in masks and social distancing.

Jackbooted neo-Nazi stormtrooper thugs from the Met broke up a Jewish wedding at a school hall in Stamford Hill last night.

There were 400 people there. They all did a runner when Dibble showed up so there were only 5 fines dished out.

The organisers are going to be stung for £10,000 each.

Oy vey, that will hurt.

They should be thrown in jail too. There was a massive Chasidic wedding in NYC a few days ago - beyond belief and infuriating.

RedDinger

War Hero
Let me get this straight - you believe that it is possible to determine that a woman was a virgin until she became pregnant by examining her AFTER she gives birth?
I've done some research in this area, and the actual meaning in olden days was that she hadn't been done ***********.

Doesn't ARRSE have a resident theologian. I would have though he would have been all over this thread correcting matters of doctrine, tenets and articles of faith.

Maybe the Jewish slant has put him off.

Monotheism. The one where they have one god plus angels and saints that may be prayed too and worshipped as well. I wonder how long the monotheistc description would actually apply before reverting too the pantheon of minor spirits that was the previous norm. Worth asking the questions especially to doorstepping biblical pests.

Monotheism. The one where they have one god plus angels and saints that may be prayed too and worshipped as well. I wonder how long the monotheistc description would actually apply before reverting too the pantheon of minor spirits that was the previous norm. Worth asking the questions especially to doorstepping biblical pests.

It seems to me they're just responding to a mechanism of human consciousness - I think what is referred to by Freud as "the great other".
As long as we don't make an effort to get up and be ready to leave our comfort zone to explore consciousness and reality, we remain in our default mode of finding comfort in objects and idols - be they gods, idols, angels, Jesus, cars, saints, movie and rock stars or nowadays even just celebs whose only claim to celebrity is celebrity.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I wish Pissed up padre was still with us, he would've sorted this all out. =)

Latest Threads