Offender Rates Amongst Veterans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Slightly_Nasty, Oct 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some interesting statistics recently published on the rate of offending for ex members of the armed forces. I have reproduced some of it below and also included a link. It is NAPO's bad spelling, not mine. I should also probably declare a selfish interest here, as I'm thinking of covering this topic for dissertation

http://www.napo.org.uk/about/veteransincjs.cfm (refers to several reports)

"The current and previous briefings produced by Napo suggest there are at least as 20,000 former Services personnel, either in jail, on parole or on community supervision. This is twice as many as on active service in Afghanistan. Indeed the numbers in the entire criminal justice system exceed all soldiers on active service by some 6,000. The most common offence is violence occurring in a domestic setting. Most are either drug or alcohol related.
    Most of those convicted report problems of adjusting to civilian life and the lack of available support. Many report negatively of the effect of the culture of heavy drinking in the armed forces.
    Napo believes that the situation is unacceptable, that active steps need to be taken to offer both support on discharge from the forces and referral to relevant agencies if individuals do entre the criminal justice system.
    The case studies show the extreme difficulties that some veterans experience in making the transition from active service to employment in the community. Support packages would not only be in the public interest but would safe the taxpayer significant sums of money in the medium and long term."

The report also makes much reference to PTSD. I suppose we could view this as the usual villains seen in every unit, coming up with various excuses in order to reduce their sentence and conning the bleeding heart liberals in the process. However, ex members of the Armed Forces are so over-represented in the judicial system that it is not something I feel can be excused or ignored. Anyone care to comment?

2. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

I was a prison officer for a few years after leaving the army and i wil admit that there are a lot of ex service personell in custody, most of the cases i came across were from alcohal related cases reulting in domestic violence, these guys can and do get counselling in the prison but if it was made more readily available before hand involving the whole family i honestly think that the ratio of ex service personell in prison would drop. Its sad sometimes knowing what some of these people have done and seen and to see where they end up.

3. Unless it's been properly diagnosed as PTSD then they don't have it. IMO it's getting a bit like fat slobs saying the cause of their fatness is in their genes.

4. During my stays at Combat Stress I discovered that about 20% of the guys in with me at the time admitted to having criminal records.

5. Yes, all those undiagnosed cases of suicide are clearly faking it... prick.

Its attitudes like yours which mean the guys wont come forward for help in the first place.

Tell you what, try taking the p8ss out of some of the amputees on this site and see how well that goes down?

6. Obviously living in Aldershot I know more ex squaddies than a few people and I would say that the majority of them that I drink with have criminal records (myself included). Who knows the reason why so many of us have? From my point of view I've got a low tolerance of ********* and general knob behaviour which has often got me in bother. As for the others, I don't know.
    On the plus side though we have some cracking yarns of giving the old bill the runaround!

7. Without getting personal.

AIUI there is far more "education" available now but the same attitude still prevails within the system which prevents people sticking their hand up.

It took me a long time to get help. The NHS knew about my problems for years but wouldn't treat since I was ex-forces. When I was referred to CS I felt a total failure instead one who was boldy trying to struggle on regardless.

Did you know even walts occasionally try to get PTSD help from CS? Just before my time there one got outed as climing to be a RM but in fact had been using a relatives details.

I am curerntly sliding but reluctant to go back because there are far fresher cases needing attention.

8. Does anyone list the offenses the veterans are found guilty of?
    I wonder how many have been charged for punching out some gobby no-mark who took the p1ss, or battered some feral chav who had been terroriseing the neighbourhood while the police concentrated on harassing motorists.

9. This is something I'd expect the likes of SSAFA or RBL to know at least in part.

10. Not really. We do courses that allow us to go into prisons to help but more than often the offender chooses not to ask for it.

11. Get back in touch with CS, as it can take months to get an admission now even for emergency cases.

Some of us older cases feel reluctant to go back as the younger lads come in, but some of the younger lads feel reluctant to go back as they think they'll be taking places away from the older ones.

IMO all of us with PTSD can take the places when offered without any feelings of guilt.

The young worry about us and we worry about them but we all try and do our best for each other.

12. If you follow the link and view the latest report, there are probably a couple of hundred brief case studies. As an ex WO2 who has dealt with his fair share of villains, I think that some of them are bluffing, but I wouldn't like to put that label on most of them.
    The reports highlight the problem of over representation of ex forces in the judicial system, but sadly not the reason, which nobody seems to have a definitive answer for.
    PTSD can obviously not be ruled out.
    I find myself also asking whether the way we treat soldiers has any bearing; the military system tends to look after (I use the term loosely!) people reasonably well and a lot of admin such as pay/accom is done for them. It was only when I left that I realised that there was no longer anyone there to do it for me. Does this make ex squaddies less capable of coping when they leave?
    As for the culture of alcohol, I'm not sure. I was a heavy drinker whilst in the Army, and accept that it was expected of me if I wanted to get on. However, I was a heavy drinker before I joined, and don't believe I drank any more than some of my civvie colleagues. I just got it cheaper than them, hehe.

13. Perhaps the army attracts people predesposed to criminal behavior maybe they would have ended up in nick regardless of whether they joined the army or not, consider Britains prison population was at its lowest during the interwar years when the country was awash with veterans of one of the bloodiest conflicts ever fought if you believe all the excuses rolled as to why ex forces are more likely to end up in clink then the interwar years should have seen Britains jails swamped with psycotic ex soldiers but in fact the oppostite was the case.

14. If we were truly predisposed to criminal behavour we'd all have joined the labour party and became MP's. Then we wouldn't have so many in nick, we'd all be in parliament with little fear of prosecution.

15. Thankfully i've never had any of the issues highlighted here, but did relate a tale of a Falklands Veteran who was living rough in Manchester. He was a perfectly decent bloke who had fallen on hard times, and did not have the wherewithal to get help. He was found dead in the winter of 83, and to my shame i cannot remember his name! The point to my post is that the Military take you in and trains you to be a whatever? Sends you out on operational tours, which is fine because you're doing your job and you have your muckers for support. Then when you decide it's time for you to leave, the service drops you like a stone and does not prepare you in any way for the readjustment back to civdiv...Pathetic and Sad in equal measure, no wonder so many service personnel are struggling to come to terms with life outside the forces!

As a by thought, if these people had been smackhead wasters, the local health authorities would be more than happy to splash the cash on rehabilitation courses...But they weren't were they? :x