Off to the beaters waggon in the sky.

ugly

LE
We were offered a young lab today, needs to be in a home without other dogs, good looking.

Stumpy, my condolences.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
We were offered a young lab today, needs to be in a home without other dogs, good looking.
Sorry for not replying earlier but I couldn't face doing anything other than have a good skrike an feel like crap for the last few days.
However, if that was an offer of another hound to re-home, thank you, but I'm afraid neither me or the Stumpette could face having another one just yet, if ever.
The almost physical pain we felt when Henry took his last breath is not something I want to feel again, but I know I probably will at some stage or another.

I lost my beloved Springer GEM on 10 Jan, she made it to 16yrs and 4 mths went to work with me every day and never let me down finding a downed bird. I picked up the new pup last Sunday and fingers crossed this little minx (RUBY) will fill her boots. The pink collar is only temporary.

Attachments

Sorry for not replying earlier but I couldn't face doing anything other than have a good skrike an feel like crap for the last few days.
However, if that was an offer of another hound to re-home, thank you, but I'm afraid neither me or the Stumpette could face having another one just yet, if ever.
The almost physical pain we felt when Henry took his last breath is not something I want to feel again, but I know I probably will at some stage or another.
Know exactly what you mean. The loss of our beloved two within six months of each other, one at 16 the other at 15, was a huge blow.

It's taken a bit of time but I know soon I'll rescue a couple from the pound. What else can you do?

Sad to report that Henry has gone. I had to have him out to sleep yesterday afternoon. It was very emotional for me and the Stumpette and we have been crying for most of the day (still are to be honest). He'd been having trouble walking for a bit, sometimes not even getting off the driveway or much further than the end of the street, and he'd also stopped eating properly. It came to a head yesterday morning when I picked his lead up to take him out and instead of getting excited about it, he just stood there in the hall looking at me with not even a wag of his tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reminds me of our first, Bonnie: got to the point where she couldn't walk across the fall-line of our gently inclined back garden, a dozen years ago.

So sorry.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Cheers, chaps. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Condolences, Stumpy. It's a terrible experience to go through and yet time passes and we keep doing it.

I lean towards the view that our dogs invest their time and effort in training us to be a competent owners and it's a shame to waste it... which makes you Henry's legacy to a new pup ;)

Sorry to hear about Henry. Hardest thing in the world trying to carry on without them. As much as it pains you though, the right thing to do would be to rescue someone who has little to no chance, the sooner the better. Unless you intervene their fate can't be put on hold and we know humans are arseholes for putting them in that position in the first place.

Henry's legacy would include all that love and care a rescue deserves. It feels like the time is never right and there will be bumps in the road but having someone furry around makes the pain bearable. Eventually mostly good memories of Henry will remain, along with a sense of loss that never quite goes away. The healing you receive from other furmonsters helps a lot though. You'll always miss your Boy but what you receive from the new arrivals will help ease the wounds.

Last edited:
Sad to report that Henry has gone. I had to have him out to sleep yesterday afternoon. It was very emotional for me and the Stumpette and we have been crying for most of the day (still are to be honest). He'd been having trouble walking for a bit, sometimes not even getting off the driveway or much further than the end of the street, and he'd also stopped eating properly. It came to a head yesterday morning when I picked his lead up to take him out and instead of getting excited about it, he just stood there in the hall looking at me with not even a wag of his tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry mate. I know these words will bring you little comfort but you did the right thing.

When my Amber looked up at me after falling for the sixth time in one day, I knew she was fed up. She'd had a battle with debilitating arthritis and couldn't even go to the toilet without me holding her up. She'd had enough and I'd have been a selfish sod if I kept her around for my own comfort.

Take heart in the fact that you were with him until the very end.

ugly

LE
This morning at about 0230 Bluebeard died, a 3 legged tricolour cocker who was a real character. Injured aged 4 months losing his leg it didn't stop him being the most useless gundog on the planet but one of the most handsome and cheeky ones.
Although after his injury he didnt take to shooting like his siblings he used to love dogging in, pheasant feeding rounds and would be waiting for me with his nose against the living room window
DSCN0126.JPG
DSCN0140.JPG
DSCN0141.JPG
I have just buried him up with his kennel mates that went before, his brother and two sisters are being a bit odd but he is buried with his favourite cuddly toy a monkey.
The last two weeks have been difficult, he seemed to have slipped a disc and lost the use of his bag legs intermittently. We massaged him, gave Metacam and he was eating and drinking up until yesterday when a big boil burst through his **** glands. He was kept clean and comfortable and died being cuddled gently in the early hours.
I will raise a glass to my constant companion of the last 10 years.

This morning at about 0230 Bluebeard died, a 3 legged tricolour cocker who was a real character. Injured aged 4 months losing his leg it didn't stop him being the most useless gundog on the planet but one of the most handsome and cheeky ones.
Although after his injury he didnt take to shooting like his siblings he used to love dogging in, pheasant feeding rounds and would be waiting for me with his nose against the living room window View attachment 378814 View attachment 378815 View attachment 378816 I have just buried him up with his kennel mates that went before, his brother and two sisters are being a bit odd but he is buried with his favourite cuddly toy a monkey.
The last two weeks have been difficult, he seemed to have slipped a disc and lost the use of his bag legs intermittently. We massaged him, gave Metacam and he was eating and drinking up until yesterday when a big boil burst through his **** glands. He was kept clean and comfortable and died being cuddled gently in the early hours.
My sympathies are with you Ugs. I know what he meant to you. After his accident he was still as loopy as his siblings. He had a better innings than was expected. I can’t believe it’s been ten years since you asked for name suggestions.

I too will raise a glass. Poo beard you where a character.

Although after his injury he didnt take to shooting like his siblings he used to love dogging in, pheasant feeding rounds and would be waiting for me with his nose against the living room window View attachment 378814 View attachment 378815 View attachment 378816 I have just buried him up with his kennel mates that went before, his brother and two sisters are being a bit odd but he is buried with his favourite cuddly toy a monkey.
I remember him, well , hard to forget really.
RIP Bluebeard.

God this bereavement thing sucks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MoD News 5
Simon - Quest Magazine Jobs Offered 16
M RLC 15