Off to iraq, is there any phone signal?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Reme_Armr, Jan 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, i'm going to Basrah in a week or two. Going to be in the north at the shaat al arab hotel. Is there anyone here that has been that could tell me what the score is with mobile phone signals. I've been warned by a couple of people about dodgy networks that rip you off big style, but i don't actually know for sure if i'll evan get a signal. I'm trying to find out before i go, because if i know i'm going to (Or very likley to) get a signal i'll "bolt on" some more text messages onto my o2 contract to make it a bit cheaper for me.

Thanks in advance
  2. You can get signals, however the locals listen in to calls and read text messages. They have been known to ring the numbers and give messages home such as "we have your little Johnny here and we're going to kill him" and such like messages.
    For that reason, I stopped using my phone when I found out. The choice is yours whether you could possibly put your family and friends through that heartache.
  3. Baggy is spot on. It doesn't take the brains of an archbishop for someone working for Iraqi telecoms to filter all UK mobile numbers, keep a log of them and a log of all numbers they call or text.

When GSM mobiles were launched, everyone thought they were secure. Lets just say that they aren't...

If I were you, I'd stick to your weekly Paradigm phonecalls home, emails and MSN.

Put your mobile in a box and open it when you get home.
  4. ok guys thanks for your tips

Is there internet access at the shaat?

5. There is internet access and phone lines for you to use. The weekly allowance for phone calls is now 30 mins. You can also buy extra minutes from the NAAFI, but use them on the "red" phones and you get more time from there, rather than from the Paradigm phones.
    You can also get internet access from your DII account if you have one. It lets you have access to Army Net, but not the likes of Hotmail etc.
    If you need anymore info, let me know.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

On the back of what Baggy sad,was'nt the a case of the families back in the UK recieving texts saying their son ect was dead.claiming to be from the MoD r something along those lines?
    You could always write home,I take it Blueys are still in use? (Besides e-blueys that is)
    Good luck mate,Head down & come home.
  9. Cool,
    well thanks for all your quick replies guys.
    I've just been looking at my armynet email account. There is a "fetch" option. Where you give it the pop3 details and it goes and picks my mail from the o2 server (as that is where my mail currently goes). Does anyone know if that will work? or will it fail because it actually has to go outside onto the real internet to do that.

The only other way i can think of is that i could find a way to actually get my mail forwarded to my armynet account.

10. e-mail everyone in your account and tell them it's your new address for the next 6-7 months. That's the best way mate.
  11. See if there is an automatic forwarding option with the O2 account then army mail wouln't have to 'fetch' it.
  12. Baggy,
    Is it the same on Herrick?.

SLF, Inflamable Material. My all time favorite album, seen them loads of times!.

13. Don't know about Herrick mate..never been, but I would imagine it would be.

SLF touring again in March. They are playing the whole Imflammable Material as it's their 30th anni this year. All except Closed Groove :)Have a wee look at the dates on
    I'm hopefully flying to Glasgow to see them there. Pop into the online "pub" at the webpage for all the latest mate.