• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

off to Gibraltar

Off to Gib for 2 week TA exercise,EX marble Tor this saturday(48 hour exercise on the rock,tunnel clearing ,house clearing in the training area,another day or two training in the village area)Then restoring an old battery gun on the rock and a bit of RR and adventure training for the 2nd week.Anybody got any hints and tips ,useful kit to have etc and places to visit in GIB ,Spain or Morroco thanks

im ok with place with places to visit ,just seen post about GIB at bottom of this page.Any hints and tips about the exercise and useful kit to have would be gratefully appreciated thanks

A maglite torch you can attach to your rifle for the tunnel fighting phase. Sounds bone, but lots of people ended up in town looking for one pre-ex. Don't worry about a red filter for it, you won't need it in the tunnels.
A decent knee pad helps in the tunnel fighting phase too.

If you get the chance on R&R ask about the guided tour through the caves (St. Michaels tour. i think) It's well worth the few quid.

When you get your time off in the evenings get yourself to the main square and try to sample some pochine (sp?) It's good stuff! Bad for the eyes though apparently.

Be prepared, you WILL do the rock run! Mind the apes; nasty little buggers!

Have fun, all in all it's not a bad camp.

Second the knee pad and torch. Make sure it's a BFO torch though, about 200 gazillion megawatts. Blind the enemy with it. A camelbak, a soft/jungle hat and lots of those little yellow ear plugs. Grab a handful from the Hercules.
It's the best camp going for TA. Nothing has been able to match it since we went 3 years ago.

Father_Gundulph said:
A maglite torch you can attach to your rifle for the tunnel fighting phase. Sounds bone, but lots of people ended up in town looking for one pre-ex. Don't worry about a red filter for it, you won't need it in the tunnels.
A decent knee pad helps in the tunnel fighting phase too.

If you get the chance on R&R ask about the guided tour through the caves (St. Michaels tour. i think) It's well worth the few quid.

When you get your time off in the evenings get yourself to the main square and try to sample some pochine (sp?) It's good stuff! Bad for the eyes though apparently.

Be prepared, you WILL do the rock run! Mind the apes; nasty little buggers!

Have fun, all in all it's not a bad camp.
Keep EVERYTHING nailed down around those bloody apes. Sunglasses, bags, cameras etc anything exposed is a target for them. They'll get quite bolshy and whip it off you. I'm sure they must have an e-bay account the amount of stuff they seem to nick. And what use is a camera or sunglasses to a baldy-assed ape???

Father_Gundulph said:
A maglite torch you can attach to your rifle for the tunnel fighting phase. .
quote]

I think that putting a torch on your gat provides a jolly good aiming point and therefore not recommended. IMHO. :roll:

You will also enjoy the ammo replen run,all around the Fibua, where I managed to crush the DS's hand with an ammo box full of sand when we did Marble Tor in 2002- sorry Dave BTW. :D

We also had the local scooter Yoofs who had a nasty habit of setting about Mil personnel if they caught them staggering back to camp alone. One chap (Reg) was badly beaten with an Iron bar /bike chains - so sharkwatch when your out and about.

Pluvia_Plumbum said:
Father_Gundulph said:
quote]

I think that putting a torch on your gat provides a jolly good aiming point and therefore not recommended. IMHO. :roll:

As opposed to putting your torch where exactly? The DS obviously had a differing opinion to you on the matter.

It only becomes an aiming point when it is switched on.

Edited for bad secy drills...and also spulling and pinc'tua:tion

Father_Gundulph said:
Pluvia_Plumbum said:
Father_Gundulph said:
quote]

As opposed to putting your torch where exactly? The DS obviously had a differing opinion to you on the matter.

It only becomes and aiming point when it is switched on.

Edited for bad secy drills...
Which is why torches must be extreme. Head torches work well too

Father_Gundulph said:
Pluvia_Plumbum said:
Father_Gundulph said:
quote]

I can suggest several places where to put your maglight. :lol: True about the switched on bit mind, and taping a maglite to your Gat will look dead ally :wink: the DS who instructed on our roulement had just taken 'Them' and the Seals through a training package prior to deploying to Tora Bora so I think he knew his stuff on tunnel fighting.

Pluvia_Plumbum said:
Father_Gundulph said:
Pluvia_Plumbum said:
Father_Gundulph said:
quote]

I can suggest several places where to put your maglight. :lol: True about the switched on bit mind, and taping a maglite to your Gat will look dead ally :wink: the DS who instructed on our roulement had just taken 'Them' and the Seals through a training package prior to deploying to Tora Bora so I think he knew his stuff on tunnel fighting.
HeHe! In that case make mine a large one!

jackthehat said:
thanks for the advice ,should be getting a free tour through the tunnel area!
Yes, you probably will, but the St Michael cave tour is a completely different tour and is much better. IIRC its run by the same bloke that does the tunnel tour but it won't be free!!!

Re. the new liver... seconded!

Father_Gundulph said:
jackthehat said:
Yes, you probably will, but the St Michael cave tour is a completely different tour and is much better. IIRC its run by the same bloke that does the tunnel tour but it won't be free!!!

That's the one with the baby's hand isn't it?

Jack with the Hat, don't know if anyones told you about these, but when you get there, go to Naafi, and buy a 'VOIP' card.
you can the use ANY militaty phone , tap in '13', the number on the card, the UK number, and ring home for 'pence' a minute!
i only found out after running up a £250 mobile bill, as Gib, 'apparently', is NOT covered as part of EU for 'roaming'!

Oh, and ENJOY!
Casement square, is an AWESOME night out!
(BUT... as some one else mentioned, when walking back to Devils Tower/Four Corners, stay on the same side of the road as the Petrol Station (Shell?), as the flats opposite(Hi rise) is full of scumbags who will drag you in, and kick the shite out of you!)

chilipepper said:
Father_Gundulph said:
jackthehat said:

That's the one with the baby's hand isn't it?
Something like that, there's a few of them. Can't remember the names exactly but something like "the burger," "the towers," and the hole with the coin at the bottom that he says you can try and nick!! It's deeper than it looks eh!

Latest Threads