Off to Catterick!

#1
Im making the move up north to Catterick on the 23rd October to start basic training for the Infantry..Anyone else starting on this date?

Also, any advice on previous experiences,useful things to take with me,what to expect,etc etc would be appreciated
 
#2
Dig deep and work hard, neck in the collar and DO AS YOUR TOLD!!!!

Good luck....................it's Fun but hard. Stick with it...
 
#3
GunzablazinUK said:
Im making the move up north to Catterick on the 23rd October to start basic training for the Infantry..Anyone else starting on this date?

Also, any advice on previous experiences,useful things to take with me,what to expect,etc etc would be appreciated
I'll be there mate. Look forward to seeing you....


.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (Manic evil laughter)
 
#4
I'll be there mate. Look forward to seeing you....


.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (Manic evil laughter)[/quote]



Thats Evil.............but i like it

Reminds me of my 2 years there in 94-96...................."GIVE THEM TO ME NOW! I WANT TO PLAY"
 
#5
Seriously. look me up. I look alot like my avatar (only have now shaved off the tash) and I'm a big lad so you won't miss me - I usually mince about in a skirty thing with what looks like a dead badger hanging around my privates, but I wouldn't say that to my face.

If you pop around I might make you a nice cup of tea and let you have a wee bit of shortbread. Good luck. Remember if you're having a hard time I'll always be sympathetic...
 
#6
Right ok. I will give you advice.

You should have got a list of kit to bring. If not ask the army careers bloke. here are my reccomendations. First stop the supermarket (Tesco)

An Iron. Possibly THE most crucial bit of kit. don't bother about an ironing board it's only a hassle to take it on the train. Tesco sell a cheap one for less than a fiver. Get one of those. Tea towels. also can be used to improvise an ironing board. Buy an A4 pad of paper. This will be used for writing letters home. Take the cardboard backing off it and pursuade everybody in your room to use this to fold their shirts etc around. then all your kit will look the same in the locker inspections. Bullsh1t I know but get used to this sort of thing.

Shoe polish. usually you can't go wrong with Kiwi but some section corporals have funny ideas (The cnut in charge of my section insisted we all used cherry blossem) don't worry though get kiwi. it will always come in handy. Two good wooden shoe brushes and yellow dusters. put them in the washing machine a couple of times (the dusters) to take the pile off. these will be used for dusting and bulling boots.

Take a smart shirt and tie. You might get a chance to have a pint later in the training or at the end but not if you are dressed like a chav.

Brasso. 2 tins of. personally I think the wadding is best rather than the fluid. Spray starch. A good section corporal will show you how to use it while he is showing you how to iron. Air freshener. You'll be sharing a room with farting burping mingers I guarantee it.

Next stop Camping shop. Get a few of those olive green bungies. you might not need them but they might be handy when you start messing about with webbing.

Keep the windows of your room open no matter how cold it gets. Otherwise you'll all end up struggling through basic training with flu.

shower gel, soap, anti - perspirant etc. keep clean. you will be told how to wash properly. Pay attention. Do not ming.

I'm sure others will think of stuff. You will be given all the kit you need so don't spend money on assault vests etc (some ******* do.) All you need to provide is personal stuff and cleaning products etc.

Plenty of clean underpants. Might I suggest a watch. small face canvas or leather strap but not a big chav sparkly job. Argos have a couple that are suitable.

Take care and if you do see me about. Do say hello. Which lot are you joining? Ill keep an eye out for you.
 
#8
I am at cattrick at the moment best think i can say to you is do what you are told. As the poster above me said get an iron a good iron i had a a no frills tesco iron it was to light to be any good argos have some good irons for under 20 pound. The first 6 weeks are the bullshit untill you pass of the square and get your proper head dress. Then like me you can go home every weekend. You wont have to bull boots if you are scottish like me because jocks dont bull boots any more you only bull your broges wich you dont get till phase 2 wich iam on now. Work hard dont get cought monging it and a sence of humer is vital. And a lot depends on your training staff weather they like to beast you. hope it helps. You can by most of the stuff you need at the naffi if you forgot any thing but best to buy the stuff for going down with.
 
#9
Tuppence worth just adding to the above posters

2 x Padlocks (sturdy ones)
Coat hangers plenty of not your mums pink ones
Electrical tape ---black
Elasctic Black/Wide

on washing and shaving kit get down to pound strechers and buy a heap (spares,locker inspection etc)
^^plenty of razors (decent ones not bic orange) dont be a ming and share reuse from bin etc

dont bring any "gucci kit" 1) you wont be allowed to wear it 2) alot of gypos about 3) get used to the issue kit

Black marker pen again above ref no 2 your oppos are to be trusted in a firefight but not in barracks when they have lost something mark you kit up as soon as you get it!!

Bank account ?! get one before you go or there be a delay in getting money
Passport photos take some with you a)Sect commanders will need them for your file (dont know if this has changed) b)For a passport

Leave all your fancy PSP's and DVD's etc (Some mong/chav will take this anyway and watch his face later on where 2) happens) personal stero/mobile phone


Leave at home attitude\cadet stripes\sas books etc

Was an instructor in 97-99 so more than probs things have changed, but enjoy its the first rung of the ladder, steep learning curve blah blah blah...
 
#10
Nice hat dextrose!!!

You've had some good advice here now gunzablazing. As I said, ask the Army careers office staff for a list they should have some pre printed ones.
 
#11
Cheers for all the advice lads and sorry its taken me so long to reply but iv been down in Cornwall for a while.

I'v printed this page out and it'l be tucked in my back pocket when i go and get my supplies for basic so thanks again to you all.

LairdX, im going for the Royal Anglians 2nd Btn and if i see you il def say hello mate,although im not looking forward to meeting your pace stick which as you already have told me in a previous thread has a mind of its own :) Just looking for ward to getting there now and getting the ball rolling.Thanks for the advice sargeant and il see ya soon
 
#12
You've had some very good advice here GunzablazinUK.

Enjoy.
 
#13
GunzablazinUK said:
Cheers for all the advice lads and sorry its taken me so long to reply but iv been down in Cornwall for a while.

I'v printed this page out and it'l be tucked in my back pocket when i go and get my supplies for basic so thanks again to you all.

LairdX, im going for the Royal Anglians 2nd Btn and if i see you il def say hello mate,although im not looking forward to meeting your pace stick which as you already have told me in a previous thread has a mind of its own :) Just looking for ward to getting there now and getting the ball rolling.Thanks for the advice sargeant and il see ya soon
Just one more thing. Learn to spell sergeant.
 
#16
Lairdx said:
GunzablazinUK said:
Cheers for all the advice lads and sorry its taken me so long to reply but iv been down in Cornwall for a while.

I'v printed this page out and it'l be tucked in my back pocket when i go and get my supplies for basic so thanks again to you all.

LairdX, im going for the Royal Anglians 2nd Btn and if i see you il def say hello mate,although im not looking forward to meeting your pace stick which as you already have told me in a previous thread has a mind of its own :) Just looking for ward to getting there now and getting the ball rolling.Thanks for the advice sargeant and il see ya soon
Just one more thing. Learn to spell sergeant.
Yes, the other kind are a Bus & Coach company based in Kington Herefordshire :p
 
#17
Biscuits_AB said:
This promises to be a fun packed meeting.
I have a vision in my head of LairdX looking very mean, stroking his pace stick whilst letting out evil manic laughter, then i realise that this vision will soon become a reality and that everywhere i run at Catterick i will be looking over my shoulder for a big Scotsman looking to beat me like a ginger step-child.

fun packed to say the least :| but at least it should improve my run times
 
#18
Having been an Instructor there for 18 months I would say it has all been good advice. The new CIC single is hard work but as long as you put in the effort and don't mong it you will do alright. Remember the Trg team want to see as many people succeed as possible - the Field Army need good lads. If you have problems don't hide them and talk to people - if it is still there the Vickery Club (run by the Sally Army gang) does an awesome Bacon and Egg butty and the girls have heard it all before.

Top Tip - There is nothing so bad that it can't be sorted out and it IS NEVER EVER helped by going AWOL - it is the one thing that used to really annoy me.
 
#19
Good advice from Lairdx. Been quite a few years since I did my training at Catterick but good to see nothing's changed. Will also need to take a good sense of homour as well.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Officers 1
M Army Pay, Claims & JPA 0
oldcolt Army Reserve 10

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top