Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off for a multi-day walk - any suggestions where?

wheel

LE
First thanks to everyone for their contributions. Plenty to do and plenty to store for next time.

Our plan is the Peak District (thanks particularly to @Scaley Albereto , @wheel).

As per the map below:

Arrive by car at Ashbourne
Take the Tissington Train 13m N to Parsley Hay
Camp at Royal Oak near Hurdlow
* Somehow Xcountry from Hurdl to Monsal Trail start point near Little Longstone (not Bakewell???)
Take Monsal Trail for 8m to Millers Dale
Millers Dale to Tideswell Dale
Abseil at Tideswell Dale of Tideswell Dale Bridge
* Perhaps Free Camp
* Somehow Xcountry to Chatsworth House
Visit Chatsworth House
* tab back to Ashbourne
Endex

View attachment 514552

View attachment 514558

Four questions.
1) Does the plan miss anything worth doing
2) Any suggestions around the three * above
3) Particularly the last *, Is tabbing from Chatsworth to Ashbourne the right thing to do - it doesn't appear to be a route and I hate tabbing in a bergen along a civvie road without pavement..
4) If I wanted to get to Sheffield after Ashbourne, any thoughts (apart from not doing it obviously).

Thanks to all for everything so far.

Gaz
Royal Oak good pub and campsite and you can get Breakfast there.
I will post route Hurdlow to Little Longstone for you later. PackHorse Brilliant pub
Wild Camp Tideswell Dale in Old Quarry go down dale from carpark at first gate take track to the left. Bonus you can use the bogs at the car park
Anglers Arms at Millers Dale is good
Get Bus from Chatsworth to Ashbourne
If you need any advice assistance PM me.

Last edited:
First thanks to everyone for their contributions. Plenty to do and plenty to store for next time.

Our plan is the Peak District (thanks particularly to @Scaley Albereto , @wheel).

As per the map below:

Arrive by car at Ashbourne
Take the Tissington Trail 13m N to Parsley Hay
Camp at Royal Oak near Hurdlow
* Somehow Xcountry from Hurdl to Monsal Trail start point near Little Longstone (not Bakewell???)
Take Monsal Trail for 8m to Millers Dale
Millers Dale to Tideswell Dale
Abseil at Tideswell Dale off Tideswell Dale Bridge
* Perhaps Free Camp
* Somehow Xcountry to Chatsworth House
Visit Chatsworth House
* tab back to Ashbourne
Endex

View attachment 514552

View attachment 514558

Four questions.
1) Does the plan miss anything worth doing
2) Any suggestions around the three * above
3) Particularly the last *, Is tabbing from Chatsworth to Ashbourne the right thing to do - it doesn't appear to be a route and I hate tabbing in a bergen along a civvie road without pavement..
4) If I wanted to get to Sheffield after Ashbourne, any thoughts (apart from not doing it obviously).

Thanks to all for everything so far.

Gaz
Ashbourne is as good as anywhere in the peak, although trying to hike back from chatsworth is not going to be easy & the roads between are narrow with a fair few quarries in the area, lots of HGV 's about. Might be worth getting on a bus from chatsworth onto the A6, there are plenty. Identify a stop to hike from. Top of my head. Darley Dale near the Whitwirth Instiute on the A6 is probably doable back to Ashbourne, an app called viewranger will help with that part if its doable someone will have uploaded it. See below.

The Packhorse pub at Little Longstone is excellent. Both beer & grub. Walkers welcome.

Tissington & Monsal trail can be overrun with cyclists at weekends & school holidays.

Download an app called viewranger. It is gps/OS based. You will also find routes hikers have uploaded from hiking magazines to private individuals. The magazine ones cost, but most are free & if there is a route it will be on there.
Screenshot_20201024-083800_ViewRanger.jpg

All the little squares are walks people have uploaded, you can click on & download. I've used it throughout the UK and Bavaria/austria. Its an excellent tool for finding walks already done & not getting lost!!

Not into wild camping so cant really help there.

Finally, you need to pre book for chatsworth at the moment re Covid.

Enjoy....

Last edited:
West Highland Way (WHW) has already been mentioned and I recommend it wholeheartedly. Well established (including Bergan carriage companies), outstanding scenery and typically full of interesting characters along the way. What's not to like?

If the WHW seems a bit challenging for your needs, its also worth considering the St Cuthberts way. 62 miles, running from Melrose in the Scottish Borderers to Holy Island in Northumberland. More gentle terrain, superb landscape and good transport links. Enjoy:

wheel

LE
Phone signal in the area can be hit and miss so I would suggest you get OS map OL24 Peak District White Peak area.
Royal Oak Hurdlow to Mosall Trail at Monsall Head viaduct.
From Campsite at pub on to Tissington Trail it runs along bottom of the site Turn Left.
after 200m Signpost Turn right follow footpath after 200m fork right 150m A515
Cross over Bull th Thorn pub Hut Moor Butts track follow for 1500m to track jct.
Right fork Blackwell Lane (Limestone Way) do not take first track (right turn) Cross Lane.
after 600m tarmac lane T jct grid 1501 6680 cross over up Horse Lane 50m footpath on left. Follow North for 800m bears right for another 1K. Cross road at grid 1580 6680. Follow Track after 300, turn right Footpath signposted Deep Dale. Follow Deep Dale for 2k to Car Park at Taddington Wood there are bogs here and sometimes a burger van.
Cross over A6 follow footpath along River Wye to Monsall Head viaduct. You cant miss it.

Notes Before Deep Dale it is worth a detour to Magpie Mine grid 172 682 some interesting and disturbing history. Up the lane from there is Sheldon. The Cock and Pullet pub. Full of Cuckoo Clocks. If you do when you come out of pub turn right at phone box cross over road footpath by playground will take you to Car Park at Taddington Wood.
At Monsall Head you can go up to the top to the Hotel and Stable Bar. But I agree with @Scaley Albereto The Pack Horse at Little Longstone a 500m away is much better.

wheel

LE
A few more notes. Following Monsall Trail to Millers Dale after Cressbrook Mill at Cressbrook tunnel drop down footpath to the right cross footbridge over the weir its beautiful and follow River Wye through Walter Cum Jolly to Litton Mill it is much more scenic and interesting . Read up on History of Litton Mill it is horrific and said to be the inspiration for Charles Dickens Oliver Twist. You can cross the footbridge here and get back on the trail.
Bus Timetable the 173 its great for all the villages around there.

Latest Threads