Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off for a multi-day walk - any suggestions where?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Do a circular route around SPTA and relive happy memories of being cold wet and tired. If you let me know where you basha up, I can enhance the experience with an early alarm call 'flashbang' stand-to.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Regarding the nostalgic fun of inclement weather- yes I thought that when heading for 4 days in the West Country a fortnight ago. By the 4th day of non stop rain we just wanted to go home . The knackered ankle I’d given myself just added to the fun. Good luck on your walk, wherever you choose keep access to pubs high up the agenda and let us know how the camping goes!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
On a serious note, if you do come South any where near SPTA, I can offer a hot shower etc.

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
Evening all,

I'm planning a 2-3 day 40-80 mile tab next week (last week of October 2020 for anyone that comes to this thread late) with 3-4 overnights. Am looking for suggestions about from/to, ideally based on experience. I had thought of hitting one of the relevant camping/walking forums but, you know, civvies....

I'm in the North and a friend is in London so we're going to meet up somewhere. Here's our thoughts.
  • We're old fat knackers.
  • It would be great to have a circular route so we can use the car again, but a taxi back isn't beyond our means.
  • It would be great if the car wasn't broken into whilst we're away.
  • If we take bergens and free-camp that's ideal but we're not against a hot shower and a wench rubbing our feet each night either (this is probably the biggest decider in the 40 or 80 distance question due to the camping weight). A combo of free-camping and Guest/Hotel would be great.
  • We're not training for anything so have plenty of time to take in the sights, so "pretty" is more important that racing up and down Pen y Fan - hence my thoughts on Cumbria or Wales.
  • Leeds - Liverpool canal is a contender but as far as I can research, few free-camping opportunities and full of civvies on their f***ing bikes.
  • We're OK with inclement weather, it might even be nostalgically fun.
Any other things you want to know.

Anyways, as ever the wise Arrsers - lend me your thoughts.

Best
Gaz
Easy. West Highlands Way. Free camping no problem in Scotland. Natives friendly. Magnificent country. Distilleries of fine malts everywhere you turn.

Isle of Wight? Circular, leave car at one point and return to it. Easily walked in your time frame. Upside: great scenery, pubs, places to stay. Distillery as well. Downside: getting to the place.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Easy. West Highlands Way. Free camping no problem in Scotland. Natives friendly. Magnificent country. Distilleries of fine malts everywhere you turn.
Start at Milngavie station. Board train to Glasgow central. Alight 25 minutes later and commence walking round Glasgow: whenever rain starts enter nearest hostelry. Repeat for four days.
Does that sound about rightful this time of year?

arfah

LE
I suggest the Coast to Coast walk. St Bees to Robin Hood Bay or vice versa? Took me 7.5 days with a Bergan.

No need to do the whole lot. The Cleveland Walk has been mentioned and is part of it. Along the way is Keld. It has a nice campsite and you could spend the night in a Yurt or, there is also a farmhouse with beds if you prefer. Keld is also part of the Herriot trail (I haven’t walked it).

Start at Milngavie station. Board train to Glasgow central. Alight 25 minutes later and commence walking round Glasgow: whenever rain starts enter nearest hostelry. Repeat for four days.
Does that sound about rightful this time of year?

Rumblings of 5 levels of tier lockdowns inbound (can’t be having the same rules as the English), so if you do choose this route I hope Nippy does not f**k up the planning bu closing pubs etc. Central belt is more restricted than anywhere else right now.

The Cleveland Way is good for a bimble.

It was always my ambition to complete the Cleveland Way in a single hit, 117 miles (that's the distance quoted in the Dalesman book) in 40 hours should have done it, but the logistics defeated me when I was healthy enough to do it (the CW isn't a circular route so there's the issue of getting from Helmsley to Filey to be reunited with your car).

To fit Mr Happy's criteria, which seems to be more of an extended stroll (nothing wrong with that, could be fun with a couple of like-minded mates), I'd suggest something based on the Crosses Walk. 55-70 miles depending on the route chosen, add a bit more to take in a few more sights or take in a few pubs just off the route.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ambleside, through fairfield, up over helvelyn, camp at red tarn, then through the hole in the wall, down towards patterdale, through side farm up and over towards hometown, then onwards to park foot. from park foot walk to pooley bridge, get steamer to glenridding and walk back to Ambleside via grisdale and Fairfield.

It was always my ambition to complete the Cleveland Way in a single hit, 117 miles (that's the distance quoted in the Dalesman book) in 40 hours should have done it, but the logistics defeated me when I was healthy enough to do it (the CW isn't a circular route so there's the issue of getting from Helmsley to Filey to be reunited with your car).

To fit Mr Happy's criteria, which seems to be more of an extended stroll (nothing wrong with that, could be fun with a couple of like-minded mates), I'd suggest something based on the Crosses Walk. 55-70 miles depending on the route chosen, add a bit more to take in a few more sights or take in a few pubs just off the route.

I've done it a couple of times, in summer and in winter. Not tried to do it 40 hours though, just enjoyed the walk. It's one of the best long distance paths I've done. Plenty of places to basha up for the night with great views. Decent b&b's in Whitby and if you don't fancy the walk back from Filey, which adds another day and half there are other ways to complete the circle.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Rumblings of 5 levels of tier lockdowns inbound (can’t be having the same rules as the English), so if you do choose this route I hope Nippy does not f**k up the planning bu closing pubs etc. Central belt is more restricted than anywhere else right now.
Excellent point and my thanks for making it. How could I have forgotten when I have a good friend who has decamped from Glasgow to St Andrews, because Life there has yet to get quite as miserable as his home town..... yet.

Delete my last:
Insert: Start at the begining of the West Highland Way in Milngavie. Catch the train to Glasgow Central and alight 25 minutes later. Take some time to enjoy the looks of complete misery on all who are living under the draconian SNPEEE regime. Catch a train somewhere civilised. Find the nearest hostelry and toast your good fortune for the next 4 days.
Howzat?

Mr Happy

LE
First thanks to everyone for their contributions. Plenty to do and plenty to store for next time.

Our plan is the Peak District (thanks particularly to @Scaley Albereto , @wheel).

As per the map below:

Arrive by car at Ashbourne
Take the Tissington Trail 13m N to Parsley Hay
Camp at Royal Oak near Hurdlow
* Somehow Xcountry from Hurdl to Monsal Trail start point near Little Longstone (not Bakewell???)
Take Monsal Trail for 8m to Millers Dale
Millers Dale to Tideswell Dale
Abseil at Tideswell Dale off Tideswell Dale Bridge
* Perhaps Free Camp
* Somehow Xcountry to Chatsworth House
Visit Chatsworth House
* tab back to Ashbourne
Endex

camping 2020 peak district route.jpg

camping 2020 peak district route 2.jpg

Four questions.
1) Does the plan miss anything worth doing
2) Any suggestions around the three * above
3) Particularly the last *, Is tabbing from Chatsworth to Ashbourne the right thing to do - it doesn't appear to be a route and I hate tabbing in a bergen along a civvie road without pavement..
4) If I wanted to get to Sheffield after Ashbourne, any thoughts (apart from not doing it obviously).

Thanks to all for everything so far.

Gaz

Attachments

• camping 2020 peak district.jpg
    camping 2020 peak district.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
First thanks to everyone for their contributions. Plenty to do and plenty to store for next time.

Our plan is the Peak District (thanks particularly to @Scaley Albereto , @wheel l ).

As per the map below:

Arrive by car at Ashbourne
Take the Tissington Train 13m N to Parsley Hay
Camp at Royal Oak near Hurdlow
* Somehow Xcountry from Hurdl to Monsal Trail start point near Little Longstone (not Bakewell???)
Take Monsal Trail for 8m to Millers Dale
Millers Dale to Tideswell Dale
Abseil at Tideswell Dale of Tideswell Dale Bridge
* Perhaps Free Camp
* Somehow Xcountry to Chatsworth House
Visit Chatsworth House
* tab back to Ashbourne
Endex

View attachment 514552

Four questions.
1) Does the plan miss anything worth doing
2) Any suggestions around the three * above
3) Particularly the last *, Is tabbing from Chatsworth to Ashbourne the right thing to do - it doesn't appear to be a route and I hate tabbing in a bergen along a civvie road without pavement..
4) If I wanted to get to Sheffield after Ashbourne, any thoughts (apart from not doing it obviously).

Thanks to all for everything so far.

Gaz
Hope you have a great time. Keep us posted with photos of your travails- after a suitable interlude to avoid ambushes.

Ritch

LE
I thought that but its too long and a bit far, though doing it in bits did appeal that also feels like cheating..

If you want to cheat, buy a treadmill and do this.

39433E6000000578-0-image-a-3_1476096386222.jpg

Put it next to the window and you have your view. Plus points are that you can have the luxury of a proper toilet AND get in your own bed at night. Your mate can bring a treadmill too but he might have to bring sleeping arrangements unless you two fancy a cuddle under the sheets.

I haven't thought this through properly, have I?